main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The (Current) Generation Trilogy: Wii, PS3 & XBox 360 (Console Comparison & Discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    The Sega Jesus-is?

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    So, at this point...and if you could only choose ONE...which console would you get?

Seeing the GameSpy article that came out today, I'd have to say that the specs for the PS3 make it the console to have. However, those specs are a bit suspect, since all of a sudden the console's CPU is uber-powerful enough to put the 360's to shame. And now all of a sudden Sony claims their console will be backwards compatible when initial previews, rumors and speculation indicated that the different technologies involved with the PS3 would make backward compatibility a non-issue. Hmmmm...

Seems to me that Microsoft's pre E3 preview of the 360 may have caught Sony off guard and now they're reacting to the MS announcement, the first salvo of the new, next-gen console war. I can only hope that Sony will deliver all that it has promised. A console that can draw on the enormous library of PS1, PS2 and its own new titles would simply have no real competition. Imagine playing the entire Metal Gear Solid series or Final Fantasy 7-12 or just about any other game from the past and future in just one console without any major fuss and no extra PS consoles cluttering valuable shelf space. It sounds like an extremely sweet deal. I just hope it's not too good to be true.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's hard to choose at such an early stage given the early versions and tech demos, and suspect hardware stats.

I mean, it's a given Nintendo fans will be grabbing the Revolution (hell I've spoken to a few people today who'll buy it just for the access to NES/SNES/N64 libraries), so for me it's just a matter of deciding what my secondary system for the next generation will be.

At this point I'd be leaning towards the PS3- I already have a PS2, so continuing that library would seem logical, and PS3 won't be lacking power-wise like the PS2 does, regardless of how accurate their stats are for it. Plus, I prefer the PS3's design (not counting the controller) over the 360's fugliness.

However, I haven't ruled the 360 out. X-Box may have had only 1 or 2 games worth getting the system for, but if it maintains backwards compatibility and manages to establish another couple of worthwhile exclusive games, it might be worth getting a 360 eventually.

So it's still kind of a wait-and-see scenario, IMO. Come fall I think we'll have a much clearer picture to decide from.

4. beajedi

beajedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2004
    Revolution for me. No question.

Why? Because I'm a nintendo fanboy.

I never got a ps2/gcn/xbox, so I figure I'll enter the new generation come launch day.

5. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Revolution is a cool name, i think that should be the console name

6. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    If I could only get only one console? It would be the 360. Reason being is that Sony has always piled on the BS when it comes to hardware. Look at their presentation the trailers were mostly tech demos and rendered cutscenes. The Unreal tech demo was rendered in real time but there was no game, with AI, ect. behind it to get a good idea how the system will handel in games. Looking at the gameplay videos I don't see much difference from the 360.

I think this gen it will be:

PS2==>Xbox 360==========>Revoultion.

Kind of like last gen, except Nintendo sitting in the PS2's place in terms of graphics.

7. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I'm torn between the Revolution and the PS3. During the show I was really impressed by the unvieling of the PS3, and it's graphics were incredible. And then the other developers. I was semi let down.

Although the resons for my being let down were different. Nintendo I was let down, not from what the showed, but what from the didn't show. I really was hoping to see the Revolution and the controller. But we didn't.

X-Box 360(I hate even typing that out) was a huge disapointment. From that annoying bald guy going on about vector-girl, and then sitting on the damn stage, it was all "Meh." I was hard pressed to find a reason to care. I cared about the new games on the PS3. I cared about the New Legend of Zelda and Nintendogs(Miyamoto's puppy humping that G4 girls one? BRILLIANT!!!). Microsoft, I found myself more annoyed. Maybe it was because their launch libary half consisted of games that were promised a year ago.

8. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Heh, theres nothing more pathetic then an old man trying to be hip. That M$ conference reminded me of an old Kids In The Hall skit. "He's hip, he's cool, he's 45."

[image=http://www.xdome.de/pictures/1060261265.jpg]
    Before.

[image=http://www.jeuxvideo.com/newspics/J_Allard.jpg]
    After. It's just sad.

I'll give M$ props for actualy showing games instead of tech demos. When was the last time a console lived up to it's tech demos? But the wole Velocity girl spiel and the aging hipsters was pretty sad. And why use DOA4 as the center piece? I couldn't even tell the difference from DOA Ultimate. They should have focused on Gears Of War, Condemed and Full Auto to showcase the hardware. Hehe, at least they beat out Nintendos conference which isn't saying much. That thing was just pathetic. You could smell the desperation.

9. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    So, at this point...and if you could only choose ONE...which console would you get?

It's really too early for me to say. Of the 3 systems in the current generation, I've gotten the most use out of my Xbox. I still like the PS2 & Cube, though, but the Xbox has the games I play most. It would probably make the most sense for me to get the Xbox360, although that could change in the coming months.

10. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Since Xbox 360 comes out first, I will get that one. I plan on purchasing some more games for my Xbox library this summer, and since it will have a free online play feature, I look forward to whoring that for all I can.

As soon as I can, I am preordering a PS3, because that is what I want the most.

If Nintendo can launch with a Mario game that revolutionized itself like with the 64, I will get a Revolution at launch. Or I'll do what I did with the GC and get it for 80 bucks off eBay and end up giving it to my brothers :p

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm really gonna try to buy all three, just as I did with PS2, XBox, and Gamecube. But if I had to get only one, it would be Revolution, with PS3 and XBox 360 my second and third choices, respectively.

12. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    i'll buy the ps3 first (not sure how close to launch) and then later on the revolution.

13. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    Just a warning that the whole issue of X Box 360 compatibility with X Box One games is up in the air.
    Microsoft said certain titles would work, certain titles would not.
    Me..I am leaning toward PS3. I was underwhelmed by Microsoft's marketing so far.

14. beajedi

beajedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2004
    i prediction is that both MS and Sony will quietly bump down their specs come launch time.

They will have to make it so they can sell it at about $300 and not take a huge loss.

Also, I wouldn't be suprised if nintendo decided to low-ball everyone again and launch at a 200 or a 250 dollar price point

15. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Thats a guarantee. Notice how Nintendo keeps downplaying graphics. Also look at the size of the Rev and it's only going to get smaller. The reason Sony and M$ have bigger consoles is because of the hardware inside. Nintendo has already said that the Rev will need a add on in order to play DVD's. Nintendo as usual is trying to make their console as cheap as possible. The Rev is going to be a budget console. That fits in with their target audiance.

16. irishd2

irishd2 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2004
    The 360 is in my future

17. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    Wait XBOX is going to have free ONLINE play ? (original xbox)

jedi_john_33 said

it will have a free online play feature, I look forward to whoring that for all I can.

18. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    The Xbox 360 backwards compatibility has been cleared up.

Our goal is to have every Xbox game work on Xbox 360

Microsoft carefully parsed its words about the Xbox 360's backward compatibility by saying it will be "backward-compatible with top-selling Xbox games." So when Gamesindustry.biz published an article revealing the console's radically different hardware couldn't support current-gen Xbox games, accusation perfidy in Redmond began to fly. "The solution Microsoft has reached is apparently to recompile current-gen Xbox games so that they can be played on the 360," says G'biz. "First on the list, it says, are the best-selling Halo titles." However, Xbox owners were the only ones freaking out. The usually recalcitrant Microsoft bypassed its external public relations company, telling GameSpot directly that, "Our goal is to have every Xbox game work on Xbox 360. You will NOT need to purchase a new 'version.' Your original games will work on Xbox 360."

19. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    Well thats one thing cleared up thanks now Im curious about XBOX going free online with game play anyone know about that ?

20. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

So far, I think all three companies have had mediocre showings.

Nintendo hasn't shown any games yet, released any specs, or shown its "revolutionary controller". The download capability is already being overrated, since I have all the classic Nintendo games I need via the internet.

Sony is ramping up expectations through all these tech demos. Many of my friends now think all first-generation PS3 games will look like the Killzone video, which obviously is either CGI or a cutscene rendered through the game engine.

Microsoft has been sending wierd messages. The whole HD-era thing is retarded since many people will not want to spend $3,000 on a cutting edge TV. I hate how they are changing Xbox live from a great gaming service to a online multi-media center. I don't care about customizing my online service, just provide a damn good one.

21. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    I'm gonna get me one of them revolutions and download, Super Mario 3, FF II and III, M.U.L.E. and Secret of Mana, and Super Mario Kart. Hell yeah.
    I'm touching myself.

I want a PS3 also.

22. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    Hmm with Revolution you can DOWNLOAD games to the system ? Interesting

& can anyone PLEASE explain more what the heck jedi_john_33 said about XBOX live ?

23. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    I don't know if everyone knows this, but according to ebgames, the games for the 360 are going to be 59 bucks. Thats pretty expensive. :eek: -but they are probably worth it. :D

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Agent_SkywalKer posted on 5/22/05 1:13pm
    I don't know if everyone knows this, but according to ebgames, the games for the 360 are going to be 59 bucks. Thats pretty expensive. [face_shock] -but they are probably worth it. [face_grin]
    [hr][/blockquote]

Most games today aren't even worth $50. Just as it's the case with movies, good games are actually quite rare.

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm not yet sure if I'll jump on the bandwagon for this round of consoles, as these days my Xbox mainly serves as an extra DVD player. I know the new Elder Scrolls game will be enticing, though, and if Shenmue 3 were announced I would purchase a console soley to play that title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.