main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The (Current) Generation Trilogy: Wii, PS3 & XBox 360 (Console Comparison & Discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Well from what I heard from E3

Xbox360 officially said compatible with the "top selling" XBOX games. That could mean anything... posibly only Halo 1 and 2...
    Also they claim thair controller is so new? it looks exactly the same as the old XBOX controller with three differences. they took out the black and white tiny buttons, moved the start/select to the senter, and made that large gem in the middle useful as an on/off switch for the console. Oh and wireless but everyone's going wireless. Now I will admit, the on off switch for the console actually on a console like a remote is cool... still have to go to the console to change discs though.

Sony... great looking system... redesigned the controller... not. Exact same buttons and layout in a different case. Plus they totally ripped off Spiderman's font! Look at the case, it's the font from the Spiderman movie! Plus I'm betting that the Sony specs are way overkill.

Nintendo... ummm where is the info? Nintendogs looks interesting but I never liked the tomagotchi craze... the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess looks drop-dead gorgeous, but that's current gen. The idea of downloading all the previous games. Cool idea I suppose, but you'd probably need a hard drive addon to store them. 512 MB won't store all the games I'd want from the past.

Now, I'm a Nintendo fanboy, I will admit, but right now the big N isn't impressing me. The only thing I'm scared about is the controller. They already have the full ports for four GCN controllers and two memory cards so the backwards-compatable I'm not worried about. It's the Revolution controller.

Mr. Reggie "kickin' *** and taking names" said this to the G4 cable watch of CIII.

"All we're gonna reveal about the new controller is that the NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy... all our systems have had radically different controllers each time. We need a controller that will properly replicate all of them"

To me this is really scary or wicked cool. I dunno, I will have to see what they come up with.

In conclusion. If I had to buy one system... I can't decide right now. If Nintendo impresses me with the controller and the Revolution lineup, I'll stick with them. If not... I'll probably go for PS3. Unless XBox 360 is fully backwards compatiable, then I'll get that so I can buy all the good XBox games really cheap.

2. beajedi

beajedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2004
    the revolution controllers are wireless, but it kept the cube controller ports to ensure total backward compatibility with old GCN games.

This must mean that the revolution controller must be radically different in some way.

In IGN's interview with Shigeru Miyamoto, he said that Nintendo didn't want anyone stealing the idea behind the new "revolutionary" controller.

He then mentioned previous examples:

Nintendo was the first to release the 3-d controller, and then BAM everyone copies.

Nintendo came out with the Rumble Pak, and then BAM everyone's gotta have force feedback.

Nintendo was the first to come out with the Wave Bird wireless controllers. Now, everyone else has to have wireless.

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I was considering the backwards compatibility hype and it eventualyl came to me, why would this be a bgi thing for microsoft?

Seriously, Nintendo and sony have game libraries stretching back over a decade, Microsoft? Not so much.

I get a wonderful feeling of nostalgia from playing X-Com because it is a game form way back when, I imagine anyone might get the same feeling from playing Chrono Crusade or Super mario brothers or Sonic or any of a couple dozen other games froms days of yore.

Lets be honest, the xbox doens't have days of yore yet, why is being able to play halo on the new console so important? Is there some mythic group of people who will be shelling out $400+ dollars for a 360 who don't already have a x box?

4. Veraden

Veraden Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Does anyone no if the 360 will play original Xbox games??

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Read the thread plz.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    A bump for WiSe_SitH_LoRd

7. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Well if the Xbox 360 is going to be able to play Xbox one games then I'll defiantly get the Xbox 360 seeing as I have an Xbox with all my favorite games.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I read the EGM cover story for XBox 360, and they outright said that it won't be backwards compatible. Period. Though they're usually accurate with their information, I think that the game magazine is wrong on this one, and we have been getting conflicting reports.

Why would XBox 360 only be able to play SOME XBox games? They are all the same format (DVD), and none of them have features that the 360 apparently cannot support; Microsoft hasn't even changed the disc format for the next generation. Hell, PS2, PS3 and Revolution were/are all different formats than their predecessors, yet they STILL managed to be backwards compatible.

9. joehahn000

joehahn000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    It is too earley to decide. I got the PS2 and loved it but then I played Halo at my cousins house and immedatly decided I would get an xbox.

Xbox pwns PS2 no doubt, hell I was even a PS2 fanboy but I dont know. Nintendo screwed up with the GCN and I dont know what to expect from the Revoloution.

/,,/
    Rock on!

10. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    My opinion

Xbox 360, this system will be a dissapointment I think, also the screens I have seen make me believe the Xbox 1.5 theory, it just wont be too impressive

PS3, wow... I saw the Killzone 2 trailer, wow... I am a firm believer in "graphics do not make a game" but, no way I was not blown away, I will keep an eye on this console

Revolution, not enough info for a firm theory, but with the insane backwards capability, the online, the DVD player, I think Nintendo has learned from its mistakes, plus online super smash bro, I am getting this.

EDIT: as for xbox backwards campatibilty I heard the announcement (heard it, was watching video clips from E3) it was quote "Xbox 360 will be backwards campatible with the best selling Xbox games" no idea if this means backwards capatible or if it means they will remake the Halo games for it lol.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    -RebelScum- posted on 5/28/05 4:25pm
    PS3, wow... I saw the Killzone 2 trailer, wow... I am a firm believer in "graphics do not make a game" but, no way I was not blown away, I will keep an eye on this console[hr][/blockquote]

You do realize that it is a CG cutscene and not actual in-game graphics, right?

12. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Heh, it's funny how people got fooled by the Killzone pre-rendered trailer. And even if Killzone 2 could match up with that tech demo, which is doubtfull. Would you really want to play it? The first one was pretty abysmal and it's doubtful that Guerrilla will break from tradition and release a good game.

Don't get me wrong I think that the PS3 will end up with a slight lead in graphics over the 360. But that trailer was not real time. Look at all the gameplay movies for the PS3 games, none of them come close to the detail in the KZ2 trailer.

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    So have we been getting mixed up info? Is the xbox-360 backwards compatible or not? Or will it just be compatible with succesful games only and the rest, you have to still use the x-box? What about harddrive info? Will they release a console with the harddrive for the x-box?

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    We've been getting consistent information regarding the hard drive, at least. A 20 gb drive will be packaged with all 360 consoles.

15. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    "You do realize that it is a CG cutscene and not actual in-game graphics, right?"

Sony claimed that was what the game would look like playing, I saw the interview, I did'nt believe it was real either but if it isn't gameplay Sony flatout lied to the media.

16. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I am more interested in which games are on what system.

I could care less how much power each one has. It's the games I can play that really matters to me.

Rate now the only next gen game that I know of that has me really interested is the next Elders Scrolls game. And that is suppose to be an Xbox 360 exclusive. Last I read anyway.

I imagin that an KOTOR 3 would be an Xbox 360 game as well so I am heavly leaning towards the next Xbox.

I have all 3 of the current generation and I use the xbox the most. Games that come on more than one system I always just got the Xbox version. Mostly because I like the hard drive option.

My game cube just collected dust until Resident Evil 4 came out.

17. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    what do you guys think about the PS3 having seven controller ports. That seems a little weird to me.

And one of the sony guys said on TV that he guarantees that killzone clip was real time gameplay

18. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    what do you guys think about the PS3 having seven controller ports. That seems a little weird to me.

The PS3 will support two tv's simotaneously. So now you won't need two consoles to have an eight player multiplayer game. One wireless and then the seven plugs and two tvs all on one machine.

And one of the sony guys said on TV that he guarantees that killzone clip was real time gameplay

Sony claimed that the PS2 games would have Toy Story graphics. We all know how that turned out. ;) And the guys at Guerilla Studios said "It's basically a representation of the look and feel of the game we're trying to make," In other words it was not real time. It was just a tech demo.

19. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    do you watch Electric Playground? The guy said it was real time.

And Can the PS3 have eight controllers? The guy at the press conference said seven wireless. So does that mean seven or seven wireless and one wire?

20. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    do you watch Electric Playground? The guy said it was real time.

Game director of the PS3 Killzone at Guerrilla Games: "It's basically a representation of the look and feel of the game we're trying to make," he said.

Sony, busted. nVidia spokesperson confirms hardware is unfinished - demos cannot be real.

Burkett, speaking at the recent JP Morgan Technology Conference in San Francisco, explained that the chip - currently codenamed RSX - is still in production. As such, it couldn't have been used to generate any of Sony's supposed realtime PS3 tech demos that were shown at the company's pre-E3 conference last week.

I thought it was pretty obvious. There was no way that the Killzone trailer was real time.

21. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Not that this has been picked up on yet, but, I want to gush about it.

From Games Radar
      "People sort of picked on us for not prematurely jumping into online or internet gaming," he mused, going on to point out that now the company has more to offer besides online gaming. Harrison then confirmed that past-gen, Nintendo-created titles will indeed be downloadable for free.

This is a clever move by Nintendo: regardless of the final power of Revolution and the frequency of new titles, Nintendo knows that its loyal fans will cry tears of joy over a free service that lets them download previous Nintendo classics straight out of the box.

Third-party developers could charge for the privilege to download though. Or, alternatively, they could offer downloadable classics as an incentive to buy their next-gen full price releases. Either way, classic Nintendo titles such as Castlevania and MegaMan may not be immediately accessible.

A similar model applies to online gaming. Playing Nintendo titles across the internet will be free, whereas third-party publishers will be able to charge whatever subscription rates they wish.

For those who could'nt be bothered to read the whole thing, I've appropriately highlighted all the sentences that have the word "free" in them.

22. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    If it were up 2 me it'd be play online FREE

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    OMG free SNES Mario!

Oh wait I've been doing that on my PC for 5 years.

24. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Yeah well, your theif then, and will be one of the first to go in the glorious Revolution

Super Metroid, and Kid Icuras, here I come!

25. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    If you can download & play games on the new Nintendo then I simply want

Megaman X

Teengage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 Turtles In Time

The Legend Of Zelda Links Past or w/e that is

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.