main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The (Current) Generation Trilogy: Wii, PS3 & XBox 360 (Console Comparison & Discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    NEVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE

YOU TAKE THAT BACK OR I WILL EXECUTE CHIM

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You cannot kill that which cannot die.

And Chim Love is forever.

3. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I know I'm late on this, but was there some Hater-ade being passed around against H_Y? At first I thought gamestop was crud, but after trying to buy games at Frys(especially DS games), I've come to see that Gamestop has games other than the popular titles than Frys or Best Buy. I like going for the underdog from time to time, so you go on with your bad self H_Y(and no, I'm not trying to hit on her)

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>(and no, I'm not trying to hit on her)<<

Does not compute.

5. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Thanks, though, Sol_Jedi. ;)
    I don't think there was hater-ade being passed about me specifically (at least, I hope not) just about Game Stop/EB Games/Babbage's in general.

6. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Haterade isn't a word you homps.

Use real words.

Also Babbages is the devil because it is putting mom and pop game stores out of commision. The day when there are no kindly old women hand wrapping the latest copy of GTA will be day of constant sorrow.

7. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    I grew up in East L.A., and we use slang all the time when its used in informal discussions/conversations. Plus Haterade is just too darn fun to use, so I use it when I can. And, H_Y anytime, I got your back! Don't let me send out Bender on your a$$e$!
    [image=http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l62/bettzysdaddy/Toys/IMG_0476.jpg]

8. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    That was horrible.

Please be playing in traffic now.

9. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    Sorry S-F, I have a next gen console I'm waiting on...

but thanks for the advice...:p

10. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
  11. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    Sorry, but I have no idea where else to post this question. I have PS2 with the PS2 component cable hooked up to my 26" Sony Bravia LCD HD TV.

On the back and under the component connection are the numbers 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p, 1080i.

I've just learned a little about what these numbers mean, but hear is my question.

When I go to the video 4 channel on my TV which is the component station, I have removed the "VIDEO 4" label and label it "GAME". Underneath that label is the one of the above numbers "480i"

What does that mean? Is there any way I can change that number from 480i to one of the high numbers listed above or is my TV simply letting me know what resolution the PS2 is playing at?

I am planning on getting a PS3 eventually, but with so many connections on the back of my TV, I am going to just leave my PS2 hooked up to the component connection, and run my PS3 through the video 5 channel which is the HDMI port.

12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I think it's telling you the resolution of the signal it's receiving from the PS2. Your TV should adjust the resolution automatically according to the input it's receiving. However, just to check if I'm wrong, you can put it to the test with a game that has progressive scan. If your PS2 is sending out a progressive scan feed, the TV should label it as "480p" instead of "480i".

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yeah, PS2 has no upscaling features so it can't output in anything other than 480. PS3 will be able to do up to 1080 though. Should do it automatically through the HDMI as well.

14. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    That's what I figured, but thanks to the both of you for the confirmation.

I'm just so clueless when it comes to electronics. I can play the games, but with all this new technology that has come out of the past couple of years, I am feeling my age and my ignorance.

It's like my grandfather trying to learn to program his VCR back in the 80's.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PS3 TO COME OUT. I JUST WISH IT WOULD PLAY BOTH BLUERAY AND HD-DVD.

IF BLUERAY FLOPS LIKE BETA, THEN I'LL THINK, "I SHOULD'VE BOUGHT THE NEW X-BOX!"

15. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    One more question.

The Sony HDTV that I bought only goes as high as 1080i (not 1080p) even through the HDMI port.

If I get a PS3 in the next year or so, is the Blueray aspect of the system going to work for movies, etc as long as I get an HDMI cord, or would I have to have a TV that has 1080p???

16. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    You said your HDTV was 1080i nope it will not go 1080p. I just found out too myself that I cannot go 1080p with the 360. All I have is a DVI-D port

17. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    Thanks, but does this mean that Blueray discs through the PS3 will not even play on my TV even if I have the HDMI port. Am I just going to get an error message or a blank screen or something like that?

18. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000

The reason for my disappointment is that there was some information on some legitimate sites which led a lot of people astray thinking that the PS3 would be able to play both Blueray and HD-DVD formats.

Really? Where? Because it seems to me that would require an abnormal amount of stupidity to consider.

19. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    How have I offended you, seriously?

I don't remember. It's been over a year or so ago.

20. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    Ignoring farraday, could someone else answer my question? Thanks. Sorry, if my ignorance, stupidity, etc has offended anyone else.

See other post about 1080i / 1080p above.

21. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    1080i is similar to 720p which you will be watching the movies in and playing in 1080i or again 720p. Your PS3 will not crap out, unless you do not have the hdmi port on your tv. If it comes with component which I believe it will will have the needs for 720p unless you buy the hdmi cord.
    oh and your PS3 will not read HD DVD, nor will my 360 HD DVD read bluray

22. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    Are the 360 HD-DVD players in stores now?

And thanks for the info. I guess I fell prey to rumors from a year ago about the PS3 out of my VERY limited knowledge about electronics, but I still can't understand why I was being attacked for it.

23. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    you are not the only one man, I was too. I doknow that EB will have the360 HD DVDs for sale for 200 and if you buy now you will also get a big remote control and King Kong in HD DVD tomorrow. I do not know about other stores

24. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    Thanks for your help. After careful consideration, I think I am going to wait until next spring, at least, (maybe next Christmas) before I upgrade from my PS2 to an Xbox 360 or PS3.

I am hoping that, in the next year, we will all have a better clue as to whether HD-DVD or Blueray is going to dominate. I don't want to get stuck with useless technology; especially, for the prices they are asking (primarily, Sony).

Think of all those people who bought Beta tape players and paid all of that money back in the 80's.

In relation to movies, at least, I am guessing that HD-DVD will eventually win for one reason only. Familiarity with terminology. When marketing a product, you have to think of what the general public is going to do. Members of the general public who know less about this techology than I do (which probably represents a higher number of people than we think) have heard the terms HD and DVD, but many people, friends, family, etc with whom I have spoken have never even heard the term "Blueray". What I think is going to happen in most people's minds is this, "Oh, they have DVD's in HD now. I didn't even know that DVD's weren't already in HD." Some will say, "What the heck is 'Blueray'?" and some won't even know the term "Blueray" to even ask that question.

Judging by Wikipedia and the shelves at my local Best Buy, there appear to be a great deal more HD-DVD titles than Blueray titles already.

However, since I don't know for sure, I better stick with my PS2 for a while. I've got a wife and kids to feed.

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Neither of those formats are going to be relevant for years, anyway. And by the time they are, dual-format players will be out. So I am unconcerned.

And I think inclusion of Blu ray in the PS3 is actually going to be a big selling point to the studios. That's 400,000 Blu-ray players in homes straight away, I doubt HD-DVD will have that many.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.