main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The (Current) Generation Trilogy: Wii, PS3 & XBox 360 (Console Comparison & Discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    so who thinks they will get their ps3's Friday now with the short supply coming in Friday,and I mean cut in half supply?
    http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=111406_4

2. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    This is why I am not even concerned about getting a PS3 until Christmas 2007.

I have finally decided to go ahead and get an Xbox 360 for now since I have a component connection for that and all I will have to do is hook up the PS3 to the HDMI connection.

I figure by Christmas 2007 the format war will be, at least, a little clearer so I can decide whether or not to buy the HD-DVD attachment for the 360 or the PS3. I am, however, going ahead and buying certain movies in the HD-DVD/DVD hybrid form because I have a feeling that HD-DVD is going to dominate in the end even though Blu-ray appears to have some significant technical advantages of which the majority of general consumers are not even aware.

If both console's end up doing well, I don't know what I'll do with two systems hooked up to my TV. I've never had that before. This is getting fun. I hope they both do well now that I think of it. I like the idea of and endless library of games for the next several years.

3. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Apperently Ken sold the first PS3 in Japan.

To a scalper.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yeah, that news 'article' doesn't say anything about cut supply. It says Gamestop took too many preorders.

5. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    if that is really what you want to believe. I have a EB games friend that is having the same problem, so keep dreaming and it will come next year...lol

6. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Right....

It won't be here till next year anyway, since I'm in Australia.

7. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4205&Itemid=2
    here is another reason why it wil be a llonggggggggg time before you see one!

8. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    You do realise that guy is just guessing? Just like the EA guy?

9. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    do you also realize that I have talking about this from way back last year. This is not a guessing game anymore. But it is better not to talk about bad things all the time

10. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I think people here just don't understand Sony's strategy. You see, it's not about high costs or poor production, it's their recognition that they suck at producing units so they try and raise the cost until demand and production or equal. Simple economics.

Obviously this time they failed, but except the PS4 to cost $2,500 and a total of 47 produced.

11. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    evenif this is true they should face up and be transparent with what they really can do

12. itlnstlon77

itlnstlon77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2006
    lol, I think their strategy is to aim for either those who would willingly sell their souls to Sony just because, well, I'm not fanyboy for any console so go ask a Sony one why! That or to try and sound like blu-ray's actually important (even when Sony doesn't have the best track record for new formats).

I hope that Wii does well, I probably won't buy one because I already have a 360 and a darn good pc for gaming and am busy enough as it is with gaming in my spare boredom-time. I saw a commercial for one of the Wii games and that motion detection stuff looks really good for it. The way the wiimotes are, it looks much more comfortable than if you were to try and use a standard controller.

13. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    I'm getting a Wii. Waiting in line and praying I am one of the early ones.

I think this will be a gaming revolution. Looking around, even our own board system, the Wii is clearly the one that people are talking about the most. With The N64 and Gamecube Nintendo kept their core fans but lost everyone else. I think the Wii will change that around.

Just remember back to 1985:

Sony was struggling with Betamax (premonition for the futurue of Blu-Ray?)
    Microsoft was just getting Windows, the first version.

Nintendo restarted the gaming world from the dead husk Atari left and brought a humble plumber into more recognition than Mickey Mouse.

It did it before, it will do it again.

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I tend to agree with you but this forum does have a slight Nintendo bias as it seems that a lot of the regulars are Nintendo fans.

15. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I always felt the opposite, that only a handful of people were nintendo biased and the rest simply didn't care about it or prefer other consoles.

Again it depends where you look.

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    *shrugs* I guess some people are just more vocal.

17. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I was 4 years old in 1985 and I remember my dad buying my NES from the Target he worked at. Ironically 20 years later, I work at a Target and will be working there on launch day for Wii.

Ahhh....the memories!!![face_blush]

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The circle is now complete ;)

19. Master_EdgeCrusher

Dec 21, 2005
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/11/17/6008
    this is what it will take just to try to play a game, and there will be no background change? it makes me want to puke as the publisher wrote

20. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    Why, yes it is, isn't it? However, since the announcement of the DVD playback systems next year, and the different colors, I'm gonna wait.

21. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Looks like my concerns over Red Steel have been confirmed. Ever since I saw the need to pause/slow down the game to do precision pointing/shooting I thought the controls were suspect. Not to emention the overall floaty/sluggishness of the controls.

Red Steel 5.5

The Good: Interesting take on first-person shooter controls; nice explosions and destructible environments.

The Bad: Clunky sword-fighting sequences slapped into the middle of all the shooting; inane story chock-full of painful dialogue and voice acting; numerous noticeable bugs and glitches.

Overall, the shooting controls definitely take getting used to and don't wind up feeling particularly immersive, let alone superior to the conventional first-person shooter controls found on other consoles or the PC. But at least they're different and, while this admittedly is not much of a compliment, functional.

This is what caught my eye and what I have been waiting to hear about. Not the over emoting of some morons for PR videos.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I'd wait for the other reviews to come out- that guy reviewing at Gamespot seems to be a bit too anti-Wii to be a reliable source of a fair review (in that he appears miserable from actually having to play the system in the first place). If the other reviewers agree with him, then I'd start worrying about RS.

Admittedly, I don't think RS's controls will be perfect (as the "invisible box" for determining turning has been pointed out as not exactly ideal for quite some time), but I find it extremely unlikely RS is so bad it warrants a rating under 6.

Since it seems later titles like Metroid Prime 3 have already started to improve upon that design, I think we'll start seeing some significant control refinement over the next year. The inevitable Red Steel 2 will probably reflect those developments.

23. itlnstlon77

itlnstlon77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2006
    Personally I liked how that game looked. The commercial had me hooked when the guy was holding the gun on screen and the player tilted the wii-mote (thus cocking the gun to the side a-la gangster style) made me feel like a kid in a toy store. 8-}

Wii doesn't seem to be made for the hard-core gamers, more or less the people who just want to play video games and get a smile on their face when their bored.

24. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    If you read the entire review, he actually says the concept seems cool, the controls have the potential to be good, but the game itself is buggy, boring and ugly. Which is why it gets a poor review.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sakurai "Cannot Imagine a PlayStation 4"

"Industry analyst from Nomura Securities, Yuta Sakurai, said that based on recent events and appointments, "I Cannot now imagine a PlayStation 4," suggesting that the PlayStation 3 would be Sony's last console.

The analyst cited recent events like PS3 shortages and the new appointments within the company as reasons to believe Sony would make a shift to software much like Sega did a few years ago."

I'm not sure I'd agree with that- the PS3 just came out, afterall. And though they've definitely refined the practice of shooting yourself in the foot into a mastered art, one generational misstep isn't enough to kill off the PS brand- it took two and a half to off Sega.

Now, if PS3 ultimately does medicore or poorly in the long run, and the PS4 fails to recover lost ground, then I'd say it'd be the end of the line.

It is funny, though, that a year ago it almost seemed like XBox/360 was he most precariously placed amongst which company would fold it's gaming cards, and now they seem pretty safe while it's the PS3 that's seeming iffy to some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.