main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The (Current) Generation Trilogy: Wii, PS3 & XBox 360 (Console Comparison & Discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    While Nintendo shrugs, goes "meh", and starts R&D on Nintendo 6 and GameBoy 8 and Whatever will top the DS.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You mean the DS SP XE Ultra, naturally. ;)

3. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    Had to link this here (it's on the Wii discussion board but Sony fans need to know):

Sony's business strategy: Laugh at Nintendo, realize they have a plan, then blatantly copy them.

It looks like Sony is continuing its implementation of Wii-like technology in the Playstation 3. Now, in addition to the tilt motion sensing, Sony is has filed a patent for technology which will allow users to point to places on the screen using a Wiimote-like pointing device. The patent even includes a description of "A receiver portion includ[ing] one or more sensor units located in or near the target area." Sounds like a sensor bar to us. You decide.

Does Sony ever do anything original when it comes to games?

I love this comment by one of the site's forum members:

So you're telling me I can buy a Wii for $250 or a Sonii for $600+The cost of the sensor bar and the motion sensing remote? Score, I totally have that kind of money laying around! :D

Give it up Sony. Your blatant copyright evasion isn't funny anymore.

4. itlnstlon77

itlnstlon77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2006
    I mean honestly, how do people let them get away with some of that?!?

Okay, the console starting button (a la xbox 360) is one thing, but then they try and patent motion sensor technology like no one else was doing that. Then they show a pic of a ps3 + psp. :rolleyes:

I've never heard of any corporation being that bad at lying.

5. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
  6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Eh, its still the first wave of games. They'll get better once the devs get used to the architecture and special features. [face_thinking]

Wired had the Penny Arcade guys do some comics about the three next-gen consoles that are slightly amusing, if only for the fact that people from the future look suspiciously like Tingle...

7. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    And so will it be with the other systems...

I waited overnight and got my Wii first day, + DBZ, Zelda, and Red Steel....

all for lower than a PS3 by itself and guess what, my Wii is all about fun!!! The thing flippin rocks!

8. itlnstlon77

itlnstlon77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2006

They...look...the...same!:eek:

Why can I not stop laughing? Oh yeah! Ps3 costs 200 bucks more for the good version, it has a year to be far superior than the early bird, yet it looks the same! The biggest difference I could see was brightness, but honestly you can just turn that up for any console so I don't think that's a major factor at all.

Wii looks really cool to be honest, I just want to know if they'll be making a next-gen mario 64 that is much longer. If they are, then then they can have my money. [face_praying]

9. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    Super Mario Galaxy comes out Q1 2007

10. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Wow. One year ago today, who would have thunk it?

Wii pwns PS3 hard...

11. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    They can't be serious. Enough is enough. Sony are going way too far by taking the unique side of the Wii controller. It was bad enough about the tilt that they put in the controller but this is way too far. If it happens I hope developers and public will boycott the console for that.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  13. Jedi_Hunter_505

Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    Yay Xbox 360!!!!

I love that system and Gears of War!!!

Basically all a man needs: Star Wars and Gears of War!!

14. macevspalpy113

macevspalpy113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Funny, I just can't get that Republic Commando/GOW hybrid out of my mind... :p

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  16. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    We have a Wii(my brother's) and a 360(mine)

Totally no intrest in out house for PS3.

17. I_Killed_Mufasa

I_Killed_Mufasa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2005
    I love the Wii, but as I've seen with all Nintendo consoles, I've been disappointed with some of the games. I played Spider-Man 3 yesterday, and it just doesn't work that well with the motion-sensor technology.

I'm getting the feeling that it's going to be a good "party" console: Mario Party, Super Smash Bros., Paper Mario, etc. As for ports, I don't see it doing that great.

And where are the sports games?? (Other than Madden.) I'd love to play MLB by pitching the ball and hitting homeruns!

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  19. Ceth_Jonuck

Ceth_Jonuck Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2006
    IMHO, the graphics are better on the PS3 than the 360. I can say this cause I have no favorites...I love them all. But the Wii is just way to much fun...the ability to download and play old NES and SNES games is just unbeatable. I forgot how fun the old Zelda, TMNT, Punch-Out, Mario, Metroid, etc. games were.

I noticed that it also seems to depend alot on what you like mostly. Xbox seems to focus more on First Person Shooters like Halo, etc. PS3 focuses on third-person action/adventures like Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed, and other RPG's. The Wii just various really...I can't wait till Super Metroid is put on the virtual console download list.

One of the biggest games i'm looking forward to of course and the main reason I even considered a next-gen console was The Force Unleashed so...we'll see.

20. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Uhh...out of those 3 two are 360 bound.

Sales reports are nuts. Nintendo owns the world like an angry bear.

21. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    It depends I guess.

A PS3 connected to my HDTV via an HDMI port doesn't look as nice as my 360 connected via a VGA cable. PS3 games seem to have anti-aliasing issues, and the HDMI picture looks too saturated. The 360 via VGA cable looks clean, smooth and nicer on the eyes.

The PS3 is a nice system, but it has some polishing to do.

Well of my current 360 collection, I have one first person shooter. I have RPGs, racing games, tactical space sims, fighting games, adventure games. Sure the 360 has some decent first person shooters, but the actual range of other genres is huge.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Skye pointed out this article on kotaku in the Wii thread, which shows that, despite the year head start, the 360 was just eclipsed this week in total sales by the Wii. They cite this as the current breakdown:

Wii: 10.57 Million sold (3.46M Japan, 4.24M America, 2.87M Others)
    Xbox 360: 10.51 Million sold (0.43 Japan, 6.75 America, 3.32 Others)
    PS3: 4.32 Million sold (1.13M Japan, 1.87 America, 1.32 Others)

It will be interesting to see how things tilt, what with both Wii and 360 releasing some high-profile titles between now and year's end.

23. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    GREAT GOOGALY MOOGALY

24. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    Didn't know where else to put this

Manhunt 2 gets 'M' rating, release for Halloween

Looks like the whole Manhunt 2 controversy was toned down enough to release the game, or at least get that 'M' rating (the game companies can still ban it if they wish). Anyway, I'm not surprised at this. I saw one of two scenarios:

Scenario 1.
    Anybody else believe that all that happened was Rockstar went to Sony and said "Huh, Manhunt 2 is AO... you know we really needed this game to come out. Oops, we'll just delay GTA IV then. Looks like no holiday sales for you!"

GTA is pretty much one of the ownage franchises. I'm sure Sony and Microsoft could throw their weight around the ESRB if Rockstar withheld GTA IV until Manhunt II was released.

Scenario 2.
    Rockstar, being the rebel that they are, release to the ESRB something they KNOW will get AO rating, just to stir up some controversy. They already have the game 'M' ready but they add stuff to make it more AO. It's banned and the whole controversy happens. Publicity stunt anyone? "Let's get our game in the press, those idiots who crave violence will demand we release it, we'll make millions! "

Actually I forsee both scenarios working together. So now everyone gets to play a over the top graphic game that's a sequel to a game that was rather poorly made, simply due to controversial hype.

25. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    Yeah, I read this today on another forum I go on. I think that's pretty freakin' impressive. The Wii has become the fastest-selling console of all time and Nintendo is now the leading company in both the console and handheld markets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.