main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The (Current) Generation Trilogy: Wii, PS3 & XBox 360 (Console Comparison & Discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Great job by Nintendo returning to relevance from out of nowhere.

This is going to be a weird console generation. The 360 and Wii will likely split the market, and their games will likely have very little crossover (de facto exclusives), due to the vast hardware differences between the two. The PS3 will show that only Sony can defeat Sony.

By this time next year, the Wii should finally be living up to its hype, and pumping out a nice library of games as developers continue to jump onboard. For now, it's a gimmick. Next year, it should become a real platform.

Tried Mario Party 8 out a few months ago (four humans, no computer opponents), and we had a good time.

I didn't feel like it was necessarily much better or worse than any of the other Mario Party games I've played, but I *WILL* say that the "Boo Haunted Mansion" level is EXTRA ****ing random.

Just be warned: If you want any semblance of order or skill, avoid that level. It was still fun...but in a what-the-****-is-happening?? sort of way. Which I imagine would wear off on repeated play (we only played that level once).

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sony claims they are not competing with Nintendo or Microsoft

Just had to share a comment someone posted on Kotaku regarding this article...

This is so annoying.

Nintendo isn't competing with 360 or Ps3, they're going after non gamers.

Microsoft doesn't feel like they're competing with Wii, they're setting their sights on Sony exclusively.

Sony doesn't think they're competing with anyone.

Dear Delusional Console Makers:

You all make consoles and are competing with all of each other.

[face_laugh]

3. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    So, WiiWare finally launches tomorrow here in the states. What's everyone downloading?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Unlock and bumping for holiday comparison discussion. Also retitled thread to reflect current-gen status.

5. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    So the Wii is a hit with everyone, except "hardcore gamers", the 360 is a hit with the hardcore and a moderate hit with others, and the PS3... exists.

6. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    What is a "hardcore" gamer?

My younger sister loves the 360, she's played through both Gears of War with me, she loved Oblivion and Fable II, yet she doesn't know much about other games in general, nor does she bother herself with the larger gaming world. That to me sounds like a "casual" gamer. Yet every time she sees an ad on TV for the Wii, she says it looks stupid.

I think the Wii is becoming more of a toy for families and non-gamers. There has to be a point where it isn't considered a true gaming system anymore. It's clearly in a different universe to the Xbox and PS3.

7. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    Alot of that depends on what you consider a hardcore title. For me, it's platrformers, RPGs, action, adventure, and pretty much most of Nintendo's exclusives. Lately it seems it if it isn't a shooter, it isn't a hardcore game.

I'll admit the Wii had a very dissapointing line-up this fall, but it hasn't become nearly bad enough to call it a toy. All the Nintendo exclusives are still there, just they were on previous systems. The Wii has the same problem as the Gamecube, and that is a lack of strong third-party support. The best RPG that's appeared on the Wii was Tales of Symphonia:Dawn of the New World, and it wasn't even that amazing. I wouldn't count the Wii out, yet though. Next year looks very promising with The Conduit, Sin and Punihsment 2, Punch-Out!!, and MadWorld, plus the WiiMotionPlus. If thrid-party developers decide to take advantage of the system instead of releasing games that will sell, it could be an amzing system.

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Ars did an interesting study on third-party support across all three platforms. It's easy to see it's Microsoft's biggest strength and Nindendo's biggest weakness.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081116-npd-software-top-ten-list-the-360-is-a-publishers-best-bet.html

But I agree, the Wii needs a lot more third-party support to get some serious gaming competition going.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I am about to buy my first console since owning this back in about 1982;

[image=http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pinwhiz/tunix01.jpg]

(aka Emerson Arcadia in the USA)

It's gonna be a Wii and Balance Board combo, and I'm buying it under the pretense of a Christmas present for the kids. I don't have time for serious gaming any more, but I reckon firing up Wii Music or Rock Band (Guitar hero, whatever) or playing Ravin Rabbids TV Party, Skiing / Snowboarding balance board games with the kids (and wife) looks like it will be oodles of fun.

Suck on that Sony & Microsoft.

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I really hope you don't end up looking like those people on the Wii Music ads. [face_laugh]

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I don't care if I do.

12. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
  13. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I've been calling it ever since I heard Nintendo R&D burned through $300M: WiiHD.

This is a no-brainer. Nintendo itself said when the Wii came out, it didn't need HD graphics because HD TV's were barely making ground in the consumer market. If the amount of Blu Ray players and HD TV's being sold at more affordable prices isn't an indicator for the Big N to put HD graphics on the Wii, I don't know what is.

I think Nintendo can buy up the HD DVD IP, especially for cheap or partner with Toshiba, and make something that will work so that it can really bury Sony in the mud.

Just my two cents...

14. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm still using a standard TV. I always hear about people's brand new HDTV's breaking down or screwing up.

My roommate actually just bought a HDTV two months ago and now there's a green line across the screen.

I'm very hesitant to purchase one because of all these problems I keep hearing about. I've had this same standard TV since the early 90's and it still works perfectly. Not a single problem with it and it's about 20 years old.

15. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    While it's true not all HD TV's are the same, it also depends on what brand. Because with TV's you do get what you pay for. My brother and I have a Samsung 42" with 120Hz. We bought it when they first came out around Christmas 2007 and we've no problems ever since. It makes our HD DVD/Blu Ray movies look like we're watching live TV. My cousin bought a Vizio 42" and it looks almost as good as our TV, except without the 120Hz refresh rate.

The mistake a lot of people make is that they don't do their homework when buying a new HD TV. They think they're all the same and don't care what brand it is, when in reality, it does and it pays to do research. We even went out on a limb and didn't buy an extended warranty, but because my brother and I take care of all of our electronics and don't leave the TV on all the time, it's lasted and when configured correctly, even our upscaled DVD collection looks crystal clear. As a matter of fact, had Best Buy carried the other TV we preferred, We'd be watching a Tobshiba 40" with very similar specs.

Don't cheap out and buy a no name brand unless it's for like a dorm room or something. Or if you plan to upgrade within the next year. When I can afford my own place, I'm going to save up for another TV like the one I share now, or depending on the size of my place, a bigger one, or even a projector if it has the 120Hz refresh rate option.

I could go on and on about the 7.1 receiver and speakers I want, but the lesson I'm trying to convey is if you do your homework, the less likely you'll get a TV or any other piece of electronic equipment that's faulty and not function. But I'm not against getting a good deal either. If you can find a good deal on a brand name that you know is good, go for it. But if you can't, just pay full price and make sure you have a decent return policy, just in case.

16. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    I just got a reciever on boxing day, and I finally can have my 360 gaming in surround sound. Well worth the purchase for that, let alone the rest of my stuff.

Does the Wii support any type of surround sound?

17. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    Most, if not all, Wii games come with a Dolby Pro Logic II audio track. It's not bad. The sound matrix on most games is done fairly well and almost sounds like a true surround mix.

18. _Spartan-117_

_Spartan-117_ Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

Wow[face_laugh]

19. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Sorry guys this is the first PS3 thread I saw and I have a dum question: WTH is the memory card slots on that thing so I can play my PSone games and save?

20. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    The PS1/PS2 memory cards are no longer physical cards, you can create one by scrolling up in the 'Game' section in the menu.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The Gamespot GOTY awards are out...and it appears it was the year of the PS3, at least according to Gamespot.

PS3-exclusive winners:

Shooter of the Year: Killzone 2
    Platformer of the Year: Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time
    Action/Adventure of the Year: Uncharted 2
    RPG of the Year: Demon's Souls (also the PS3 and Overall GOTY)

Forza 3 (driving), Trials (Puzzle) and Sims 3 (Strategy) were winners not available on PS3.

PC Game of the Year: DA:eek: (also on PS3)
    360 Game of the Year: AC2 (also on PS3).

I am personally shocked, given the amount of quality releases this year, that this was the result.

Apparently the PS3 also outsold the 360 in October and November.

Edit: I don't believe the Wii had a single winner, besides Wii game of the year obviously. Was a down year for it.

22. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    GameSpot must have gotten a hefty check for that one.

23. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    It wouldn't be the first time, either.

24. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    The PS3 outsold the 360 in September and October due to the price cut, but the 360 outsold the PS3 in November, mostly due to MW2 selling over twice as many units on the 360 than the PS3. [face_hypnotized]

But yeah, Demon's Souls as GOTY? It's good but I don't think it's as good as Uncharted or Dragon Age. [face_thinking]

25. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Killzone 2 shooter of the year? Ratchet & Clank platformer of the year? Modern Warfare 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are universally accepted as superior in those two categories respectively, and having played all four, I think it's safe to say that GameSpot's choices are pretty fishy.

Then again, it's not like they had any credibility in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.