main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The cutting of Lightsabers through limbs

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by mjerome3, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I don't know if this has ever been brought up before, but has anyone noticed that when Vader cut off Luke's hand in ESB, Luke cried out in pain, and when Luke cut through Vader's hand in ROTJ Vader cried out in some sort of weird grunt? Has anyone noticed that when Maul stabbed Qui-Gon there was no cry? Did anyone noticed that when Dooku cut off Anakin's arm Anakin DID NOT yell in pain? Has anyone noticed that when Anakin returned the favor to Dooku the Count looked more shocked than hurt? And lastly, has anyone noticed that when Anakin's lightsaber sliced through Mace Windu's hand, Mace yelled?

My point is why did some people scream in pain when their limbs were chopped off by lightsabers and some not? Even when Ben Kenobi is forced to deal with that trouble maker at the Catina on Tatooine, there is some sort of painful yell.

A lightsaber is a blade and it should hurt.

Discuss....

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Different people have different reactions to the same stimuli.

3. Plurimus

Plurimus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 1999
    adrenalin & cortisol

4. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    Differerent people react different ways to such thing, the same is very true in real life.

5. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    2 soldiers step on a land mine and blow off their legs. One screams, the other doesn't. That's just how it is.

In addition it can be argued some of the screams in SW are screams of pain and others could be screams of defeat.

6. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Also what could be the case is some people feel pain very differently from others.

7. Jedi_Master_Ryokono

Jedi_Master_Ryokono Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2003
    it would be presumptious to believe that everyone reacts to a certain situation in the same way. ;)

8. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Dooku was shocked. Look at his face. I think Qui-gon was too hurt he like grnted and was like ughhh i'm dying. He could scream.

9. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    It's all on the person .For example, Imagine how that would look if Qui-Gon yelled out while he has a hole in his stomach .Some can take in pain (Qui-Gon) others can't(Luke) . Luke wasn't used to that kind of stuff, he was just a normaal peron that lived on tattoine. Qui-Gon was a Jedi Mater so he was used to such intensity and was trained for it .

10. XVIII_XV_XIII_V

XVIII_XV_XIII_V Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2005
    Pain doesn't often set in when someone is caught by surprise. The brain is an amazing thing. Take shark bites for example. Many cases show that in times of immense stress, like when a shark bites off your arm, the mind stops the person from feeling pain because all your focus needs to be averted to finding a way out of the sitation. Now once you're in safety and the shock has worn off, thats when the pain sets in.

Its different between the PT and the OT. In the PT, the lightsaber blows were much faster and harder to expect thus the more surprising. In the OT its a lot different because the basic fight dynamics are not the same. In the cantina, Ben strikes a non-force-sensitive person, so they scream. Luke would feel pain because Vader cornered him and he expected an attack.

Bada bing bada boom.

11. dcabswfan

dcabswfan Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2005
    There is a multi faceted explanation to this phenomenon. The factors to be considered include but are not limited to the following: 1) the victims sensitivity to the Force and their state of attunement at the moment the injury occurred, 2) the emotional and/or psychological state of the victim, 3) whether or not the victim has had related battle training, 4) species specific biological influences (although most of those mentioned are "human", note that they claim different planets of origin such as Tatooine, Haruun Kal, etc which may indicate slight physiological differences affecting adrenal processes and so forth) and 5) the specifics of the injury itself. Also interesting to note is that in only 2 cases do we see blood: 1) Ponda Baba's dismemberment in the cantina and 2) Darth Maul's being sliced in half (note the spray of blood). Both can be explained by their non-human physiology---it is likely that their wounds will not cauterize as quickly or easliy as the average "human".

12. FallenJediKnight

FallenJediKnight Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2005
    The same injury could have diffrent affects on every person. for example when i had knee surgery i did have much pain and my recovery time was fairly quick, while a friend of mine had the same surgery and he experience alot of pain and long recovery(and was succesfull). ALso i agree with the screams of defeat and possibley dis-belief. Just my 2 pennys worth.

13. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    While lifting weights in front of a big mirror, I had the misfortune of knocking said mirror from the wall, which shattered, slicing my leg just about my knee. Despite it leaving a deep laceration, deep enough to see the fat in my leg, I never felt any pain whatever. Not until they started stitching me up did it hurt.

I'm not trying to attest to my macho-ness, but agreeing with the statements that shock can have a way of numbing pain. Luke may have been screaming in fear more than anything; we know from his cave vision that he was terrified of Vader although he rashly confronted him in battle. Anakin was a rather seasoned Padawan who may have not been as afraid of Dooku, a normal enough looking chap, as Luke was of Vader, a gruesomely-masked black tank with a voice from hell.

14. Mandalorian-Jedi

Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    But when Anakin lost his arm to Dooku. He fell asleep.

Look at the next few shots of him lying with Obi-Wan. Clearly asleep.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It's called going into shock. It can happen when serious trauma affects the body.

16. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    Mandalorian-Jedi posted on 7/17/05 5:04pm
    But when Anakin lost his arm to Dooku. He fell asleep.

Look at the next few shots of him lying with Obi-Wan. Clearly asleep.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Passed out is more like it. He fainted from the pain.

I just chalked it up to individual pain thresholds. As for Qui-gon, if that wound hit his spinal cord(which I [i]think[/i] it did), it would have not only paralyzed his entire lower body, but deadened it of [b]any[/b] physical sensation.

17. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    some guys are tougher than others i guess

18. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    I think that the stasis that the severed people get it make them weak and stunned enough for them to yell. Like QuiGon who was weakened with that saber thrust through him he didn't have the strength to yell anything

19. Mandalorian-Jedi

Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    Ahh, I see.

It's just so funny. You seem him land, and try to look at Dooku, but in the next scene, he finds the duel boring and goes to sleep. I think all that running around in the arena caught up with him.

20. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    Anakin didn't fall asleep, he passed out.

21. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Why doesn't eveyone cry out in pain when they break a bone? Or get shot? Or get a paper-cut? Or stub their toe? Everyone reacts differently. People may cry out in pain when they suffer a serious injury, or they might go into shock and not feel a thing until some time later. It just depends on the person, their body, the situation, and the exact nature of the injury.

22. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    If I lost my arm in a lightsaber fight then I'd just continue fighting with the other arm.

"Tis but a flesh wound" ;)

Okay I'm beggin it :D

23. Master_Kenobi1138

Master_Kenobi1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    It just depends on the person, what kind of injury it is, and thier tolerance for pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.