main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC The Dag House

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Dags, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, its not pretty is it? So many fans so many distractions to stop them being here!

2. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Yes I saw the sneakers at highpoint! Unfortunately they are male sneakers and I don't need sneakers. And the Darth Vader/ Stormtrooper image is so small I'm wondering what the point was [face_worried]

3. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    There is definately an element of subtely here. Some of the shoes are really in ya face whereas others take a bit of searching to see the SW link.

Maybe they think that some "yo home boy" dudes are big SW fans but don't want to broadcast it too much lest it tarnish their "mega cool" image ... which we simply can't have :p

I must admit the subtle ones do have an element of appeal to them.

4. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    I saw the whole line on the website. You're right there are much better shoes on there. I love the orange ones!

5. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    As luck would have it I'm in the hunt for some new runners as my old ones are on their last reseal with super glue (yep it's true I have to restick the sole down from time to time).

Though I prefer Nike, I might have to check out what Adidas has on offer... (I guess they're all from the same sweatshop anyway). :)

6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    My son asked for a pair of the storm trooper ones, but at the price they are and the rate he is growing, it's just not happening.

7. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Makes sense.

They are definately catering for a the higher level market that's for sure, which is probably a good thing in a way because if the shoes are of good quality then that's definately a bonus - and not something you see very often either (genre based clothes made by a well known brand name).

8. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] True.

9. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    You wouldn't believe what I found yesterday.

Walking into an altenative clothing store in Ringwood I noticed they had the big 1999 issue Darth Maul statue in the front window - the one that people once went ape over 'cause they cost a lot of dosh.

Well guess what I found at the back of the store, a Jar Jar Binks statue from the same series, I couldn't believe it! This was sitting on a table so it was hard to tell how tall it was but geez it looked pretty big. Man how bizzaro is that! Despite the hatred JJB has around the place, you'd have to think this is pretty rare.

10. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    We're they for sale or just display?
    (checks the balance on the credit card just in case)

11. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Not sure as I didn't ask. Just make 'em an offer they can't refuse :)

I did find it funny that Maul was in the window whilst JJB was "out the back". Maybe they're afraid to sell JJB as they know he'll probably end up at the bottom of a river or something [face_laugh]

12. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I'd use him to hang my husbands dirty underwear on!!!

13. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    What a way to ruin good dirty underwear :)

On an unrelated topic, I had a read about that dude in the UK who arked up after being told to remove his hood whilst working in a call centre. He said he wouldn't 'cause it was part of his Jedi religion and so the story went from there.

Well in the UK article there was actually a link to the Jedi religion website which is based in NZ. As it turns out there's a few around the world including a big one in Canada.

I had a look at both of these sites and came to the following conclusion...

WHAT A LOAD OF GARBAGE!

I cannot believe that these people think that an actual Jedi religion (which they call Jediism) exists. Honestly if you have a read of this stuff it is full of clap trap.

In my view if people want to believe in the Force and all that stuff, then fine but call it by another name and DON'T associate it with SW.

It's these people that give the rest of us normal fans a bad name ... and I thought having a Klingon University was bad enough.

14. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    It looks like Robot Chicken and Family Guy DO have a lot to answer for as there's now going to be a Star Wars animated sit com ... and no this isn't a belated April Fools Joke either.

BY LUKE FUNK
    MYFOXNY.COM - The next incarnation of the famed Star Wars franchise is going to be as an animated sitcom. Lucasfilm announced Monday that Robot Chicken creators Seth Green and Matthew Senreich are going to be involved in the new project, along with Daily Show writer Brendan Hay.

The company says the series will look at the saga's characters with a "playful and irreverent tone."
    "The Star Wars universe is so dense and rich; it's crazy to think that there aren't normal, mundane everyday problems in a world so well-defined," said Green. "And it's even crazier to think of what those problems might be, since it's all set in a galaxy far, far away. What do these characters do when they're not overthrowing Empires?"
    The developers hope that the series will appeal to all ages -- but will have adult humor buried under the surface.

Initial posts by Star Wars fans on the official site were generally positive to the idea but not everyone thought it was a good idea. EpcotGreg posted, "What a nightmare. 'Star Wars' is now literally just a joke.Which is kind of accurate, sadly."

15. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Can you say "Holiday Special" ?

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I head this over the Easter break too, was a little taken aback. Sitcom? What? Are they going to take all of Obi Wans and Anakins one liners from the Clone Wars and put them into a show?!?! Or are we going to see 'behind the scenes' in the Jedi Temple!?!? LOL! Worse still, we going to see Luke and Mara at home or Han and Leia attempting to raise three force strong kids!?!?? YIKES!!! :eek:

17. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    After reading some stuff on the forums the biggest concern from fans is whether it'll be listed as Canon or not (the preference is "not").

It's easy to see what's happened, LFL have seen the success of Robot Chicken/Family Guy and have now got an idea that a SW comedy might be possible after all.

As to whether it's a good idea or not, well I guess that remains to be seen though I think there's going to be a lot of nervous people out there...

18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    The only reason Family Guy and Robot Chicken were successful was the very fact they were poking fun at Star Wars! Yes, we all loved it because we are able to see the humous side of the saga, but to think they could make a sitcom from that is just weird! Sorry, I simply cannot see it working.

19. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    I have heaps of SW "toilet Humour" jokes they can use. :)

20. SirNickTheTiny

SirNickTheTiny Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2005
    "Feel the Force..."

21. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Anybody watch Hey Hey on Wednesday night? They had a paper plane throwing competition and one of the competitors was called Leia, now she didn't look over 30 years old so I'm willing to take ONE guess as to whom she's named after :)

22. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    I wonder if she has a dog called "Chewie" ?

Here's an interesting story for yu.....

I worked with a woman whose son had a car with the plates "CHEWIE"
    When I saw the plates I said to her "Cool, is he a Star Wars fan"
    She said "Nope. his mates at the football club bought them for him because his surname is Scanlan."

True story!

23. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    That actually happens a lot, if you look at my SF plate listing (which has been totally updated BTW) you can find a number of plates that have a sci-fi reference that's not intentional - it's just that my nerdy mind will see a plate for its sci-fi connection than for what it was originally intended.

And yes I do have CHEWIE listed :)

24. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Keep your peepers open for the Star Wars/Adidas/World cup vid that's on starwars.com

They've taken the cantina scene and added in soccer players around the place - mainly replacing Luke and Ben and some background people. Irregardless of whether you like the clip or not, it's done so well that you could easily believe they were there originally.

25. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Geez it really is crickets chirpin' in the old Oceana forums huh? Good to see SA is still keeping the ol' girl going though I'm guessing Facebook and Twitter have a lot to answer for.

Anyway at the risk of VicFF going for a whole month without a single post I thought I'd toss this update into the mix.

Keep your peepers open for the two Tom Tom GPS vids showing Yoda and Uncle Darth doing the voice overs for the directions. Of the two the Yoda one is by far the best as you never really get to see the little guy which works well for the gag. The Uncle Darth version is good but the costume is pretty terrible. Either way they're both very clever.