main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC The Dag House

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Dags, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I have the Tom Tom with Vader in it.....if you veer to the left, it is the way of the Sith....so I'm told by the Dark Lord himself.

2. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if people still get lost using these Tom Toms as they spend more time listening and enjoying the cool instructions rather than following said instructions :)

3. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Does make you laugh.....apparently Yoda is out now, 3PO is coming and I heard rumours of a Solo one! Put that in your Ford Falcon!!!

4. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I can just hear the 3PO version.

"Sir, the odds of successfully navigating your way home is................."

NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS!

5. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Heard the latest hot goss! Yep, SW is coming out in 3D. This will be yet another thing that will get fans all juiced up. So not only will the fans buy all the Blu-Ray releases next year, but they'll have to buy all the 3D versions in a few years time as well.

For those who still read this forum (insert crickets chirping) who haven't heard the news, TPM will be released in cinemas in 2012 which will kick start the whole 3D conversion process off. As for the rest of the hexology, I guess they'll follow suit as time goes on depending on whether TPM is a success (remembering converting 2D to 3D is a LOT of work). If TPM does work out then it's a question of whether AOTC or ANH will be next.

So what do I think about it all? Well I'll go and see TPM out of sheer curiosity as I'm sure all fans will, but what it really means is that LFL get to add even more funds to their coffers. Maybe they think having TPM shown in 3D will make it a better film as I'm sure most fans would prefer that something else OTHER than TPM got the 3D treatment.

6. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Ugh, really?

I don't think I'll bother with it. I liked TPM, but so far every single 2D-to-3D conversion ever done has sucked.

7. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Yeah it's a pretty difficult and time consuming process so it definately falls into the "why bother" category, still I'm guessing if they're wanting to cash in on the 3D bangwagon then you know they'll get a good audience attendance from it (and subsequent $$$) simply because people have always wanted to see SW in 3D - even if it has been done the cheapy way.

8. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    To quoute the great D.Trump show - "Money, money, money, money,.....MONEY"

9. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    OH man this is NOT good. They are making the films 3D post production. If other films of a similar nature tell us anything, it's that it doesn't look as good.

I suppose it would be cool to be shot at by blasters though :p But that's about it.

10. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Chances are it'll look decent enough, but nothing can beat true 3D and I bet there will be plenty of criticisms no matter what.

Still I guess the key thing is that we'll all go and see the films at least once to check them out. Irregardless of how good the 3D imagery is, it still won't be enough to make a poor film better (as in TPM).

11. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Saw the latest SW gizmo in Kosco yesterday. A Millennium Falcon that actually flies!

It has the same exterior shape as the Falcon but the entire interior section has been removed so that a propellor can be inserted. I have no idea how well it works, but I guess if it gets off the ground and you can zoom around the loungeroom with it, you really will be able to say
    "you're all clear kid, now let's blow this thing and go home!" :)

This just goes to prove that the merchandising machine never stops.

12. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Saw them at Celebration 5, they are awesome...and fly REALLY well.

Well, I'm off to Costco. :)

13. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    You mean ... some people have TAKEN THEM OUT OF THE PACKET!!! Ohhhhh the lost collectability :(

:)

14. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Yes I had heard! How unexciting!

I agree, which is why this news does not excite me whatsoever. In fact when I heard I went "urgh".

15. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Yep, it's all designed to get those cash registers ringing.

Seriously though, I think LFL would've garnished more respect from fans if they said they WEREN'T going down the 3D conversion path.

Ahhhh well.

16. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Fans, keep your jeepers peepers open for what would have to be the most expensive book in the universe next to the first edition of The Bible - and yes it's a Star Wars book.

It's called Frames and it's a flash piece of work featuring around 1,200 still frames from ANH personally hand picked from GL himself. It comes in a fancy box with a signed certificate from GL and everything.

But it's the cost that's the most crazy part. This little gem can be yours for a paltry $3,000, yep you heard it right three grand. Thank the maker our $US to $A exchange rate is strong!

But don't worry as they're only printing 1,138 of these little babies.

Now correct my calculations if I'm wrong, but if they sell 1,138 books at $3K each, does that mean LFL earn around $3.4 million dollars! Man is that a nice little money earner or what!

Maybe they'll use the sales of the book to finance the LAS.

17. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    It warms one's heart to see Brother Mixo still posting just as before all these years down the track.

18. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Are ya kidding? Posts from him are now as rare as valuable Jar Jar collectables. :)

19. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I dont have any Jar Jar collectables.... :(

That's probably by design and because I allowed my son to blow them up if they happened to enter my home... ;)

20. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Only the best for them.

I was at a mate's 40th birthday once and he made a point of breaking up and setting alight the plastic Jar Jar money box. But as we found out, the little bugger was tougher than he looked so his demise wasn't as forthcoming as we would've liked.

In all seriousness though, if you were to conduct a poll with film and TV viewers out there and asked them for the most annoying character in the history of film or TV, you'd have to think that Jar Jar would be right up there.

Aside from really little kids, I don't think there's an adult alive who's a fan of him.

21. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I'm a fan of using him as target practice! :D

22. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    You want to know what's REALLY funny?

Through Star Walking we got an exclusive invitation via the Australian licencee to see all the TPM toys before they were released to the public in either late 1998 or early 1999. Naturally the film was to come out in May 1999 so no one had ANY idea of what to expect and as a result every item was considered to be really cool.

I remember a couple of people going nuts over the Jar Jar items. Hmmmm I wonder how many of them go nuts over those same items today [face_laugh]

I guess many will use the famous out clause of all time "how were we to know!"

The big question is if TPM never featured Jar Jar at all (or if he was made out to not be such a buffoon), would people have enjoyed TPM more? I think the answer for many is "yes".

Anyway if you want to recap the age of TPM from a fans perspective, just refer to The Phandom Menace doco which covers it all in great detail.

23. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    So here I am looking at the Herald Sun last week and sure enough I see a person in a Jedi outfit standing outside of a church. Without reading a single word I knew this was going to be bad.

I tell you right now I absolutely HATE people who do the Jedi religion thing. As far as I'm concerned they make the whole community look like a bunch of loser idiots and I've got no time for it or them. :mad:

As it turns out these dudes - I'm still calling them losers - had some type of sermon thing happening on Sunday. Why don't people realise that it's only just a saga of movies and it has no place in a real life church.

Now people might say it's all for the fun of it, but fans like ourselves get criticised enough in the real community without giving people more fuel to add to the fire. I still can't see what was discussed at this sermon that couldn't have been covered at a normal meeting hall.

I tell ya, it has bad news written all over it.

24. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I heard it was a legit Christian service, but with a Science Fiction theme. I saw something on one of the morning shows about it, where they are encouraging Sci Fi fans to be become Christians....or something.

25. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Now that's just dumb. If you had some hardcore SF dudes joining a church they wouldn't be praising God as we know it, they'd be worshipping the Lords of Kobol, or The Maker, or Shariel, or Glory, or even The Vorlons if you're that way inclined.

By definition science fiction and religion don't go very well together. Look at the film Contact as an excellent example of this.

This then leads us to the idiots who setup the Jedi Church (there's one in Canada and one in NZ). I've read the website material and these guys seriously need to be put down and out of OUR misery.