main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Dark Crystal

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jerellis1, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerellis1

jerellis1 Jedi Padawan

Mar 23, 2015
    Stop me if this has been discussed already but I think I've spotted a TFA link to The Dark Crystal. I was watching it earlier today for the first time in a long while and the first thing that stood out for me was the fact that the female Gelfling's name is Kira. After noting this, I also realised that Frank Oz having co-directed the film made for a neat double Star Wars coincidence, but then I really sat up and took notice when I remembered the Andy Serkis line from the first TFA teaser trailer: "The dark side... and the light."

It had been so long since I'd sat through The Dark Crystal that I'd completely forgotten that thematically it was all about reuniting the dark nature of the crystal (embodied by the Skeksis) with the light (the Mystics); they literally merge together at the end as the dark crystal is restored to once again become a light crystal and a force for good.

Now there's definitely something worth pondering here, regardless of whether or not any link between TFA and TDC is intentional. Any thoughts?

2. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    I tried to show this to my kids and they got scared! haha

3. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I think that the Dark Crystal shares several themes in common with Star Wars. The similarity between the Mystics and the Skeksis, and the Dark and Light sides of the Force, is probably chief amongst them.

4. Rou-eru

Rou-eru Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    It would be cool if Thra was a planet in the star wars universe. I would die for a remake or sequel (which was going to happen at some point) of The Dark Crystal.

5. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Oh great... 'Kira' again..:oops:

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    labyrinth is awful. the dark crystal is one of my favorite movies.

7. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    ...you realize "Kira" has yet to be confirmed as anyone's name, real or otherwise, in TFA...right?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  8. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Whoosh.

Dak Oolron and CairnsTony like this.
  9. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    He's making connections where there are none. Like the people who say "Kylo Ren, Kira Rey...coincidence? I think NOT!"

10. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Yup. And when looked at in that way, it is a lot freakier than I remember it being.

Great stuff though.

[​IMG]

11. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

12. jerellis1

jerellis1 Jedi Padawan

Mar 23, 2015
    The name 'Kira' has been bandied about pretty frequently during discussions of TFA over the past year or so. I'm well aware of the fact that it's not a confirmed name, nor is it actually likely to become one, but to deny that there's now at least an indirect association between the name 'Kira' and The Force Awakens would be odd.

13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    jerellis1

Even IF the Kira appears in TFA, this doesn't mean a connection to The Dark Crystal.

The writers could simply have developed the character and researched the personality against the origin of names.

14. jerellis1

jerellis1 Jedi Padawan

Mar 23, 2015
    So if there was something in this (and I'm not saying there is), how might it work? The dark side and the light, both two halves of a single whole (like maybe a brother and a sister!) who were separated, one embodying all that's good, the other all that's dark, leading to huge problems for the galaxy which can only be solved when the two are reunited...?

Well it's an idea isn't it.

15. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I don't think they are going for a brother-sister story in TFA.

And the light and dark are not two halves of a whole - evil and good are not equal. Evil was a natural state in the Creation story, and the Dark Side is not natural in Star Wars (the Jedi, who represent the Light Side, dominate for centuries but when the Sith come within sight of victory, the Midichlorians create a being who is supposed to destroy the evil).

If both sides are halves of a whole, why wasn't there a Dark Side Chosen One? ;)

Wildcatbarry and Toonimator like this.
  16. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    My wife and I came across The Dark Crystal a couple weeks ago on a movie channel. We both liked it as kids and watched it. Complete crap fest. I don't know how I liked it even as a kid. My wife still liked it, though.

17. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Besides, the "dark brother & light sister," as Force-avatars, was already done in The Clone Wars' Mortis trilogy!

18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Or was it? [face_thinking]

Baron_Papanerd and Toonimator like this.
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

20. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

It's okay - Rabs isn't all bad. He has some great ideas about a Star Wars musical. :)

Dewback and Rabs like this.
  21. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I grew up watching horror movies and really scary things. The only movie to scare the crap out of me was Dark Crystal. Everything in that movie was creepy as hell.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  22. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    BLASPHEMY!!!!! BOTH films are fricking awesome!

Sir Didymus rules!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Both films are incredibly inventive in their own way. And I see that nobody has mentioned yet that Gary Kurtz produced The Dark Crystal, so there's another SW connection.

24. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Dark Crystal should be it's own thing. This reminds me of the brief time they tried to link Willow to Star Wars. Lame.

25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Wait, what?

Hoggsquattle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.