main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Dark Forces Saga

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DigitalMessiah, Nov 6, 2013.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'd rather see Jedi Knight III than a remake. Maybe Kyle can fight the Sith spirit of Vitiate or something, I dunno.

Barriss_Coffee and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    He sure can!
    I'd agree except that Jedi Knight I looks like an early PS1 game and doesn't acknowledge a number of the PT's revelations.

3. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Another interesting thing to note about Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is that there's no sentimentality or mysticism to the lightsabers, nor significance to the color of the blade -- which I suppose was par for the course with the visual EU at this point, with Palpatine wielding a blue lightsaber in Dark Empire and Exar Kun wielding one in Tales of the Jedi. Jerec uses a red lightsaber like Vader, but Sariss wields a blue one, Yun wields a yellow one, Gorc and Pic wield orange/gold ones, Maw wields a red blade with a yellow/orange core, and Boc wields two purple lightsabers. Kyle starts the game with Rahn's green lightsaber, which he finishes the game with if the player chooses the dark side ending, but the light side ending ends with Kyle wielding Yun's yellow lightsaber. This seems to be the same lightsaber which he is still using five or six years later when he's training Mara Jade in Mysteries of the Sith, but it's more of an orange color in that game.

There's no "crystal purification" or mystical significance to the lightsaber. The "family heirloom" trope that Luke has with his father's lightsaber is initially present, although Morgan Katarn was never a Jedi and the lightsaber is Rahn's, but it's subverted when it's destroyed and Kyle has to take up a Dark Jedi's lightsaber, rather than construct his own as Luke does. Though perhaps this is intentional in the sense that Kyle is a darker version of Luke. I doubt Mysteries of the Sith was planned during JK: DF2, but it works as foreshadowing I suppose that upon facing the destruction of the heirloom as Luke did, Kyle doesn't construct his own identity as a Jedi but takes up the lightsaber of a "redeemed" Dark Jedi, which is what happens with Kyle in Mysteries of the Sith.

Jedi Outcast and Academy adopt Lucas' lightsaber maxim, at least partially. Kyle's lightsaber is now blue, and in Academy you can't select red.

Revanfan1 and purplerain like this.
  4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    He's in Licence to Kill! He's probably not a bad actor, but he seems to have been stuck in the crappy actor's circuit for a long time. But OH MAN HE WAS IN AN A-TEAM EPISODE I MUST SEE IT. Also, he did voices for TOR.

And Sariss spent twelve years on Days of Our Lives! And eight years on Beverly Hills 90210! OH MY GOD SHE WAS ON THE A-TEAM TOO!

And Morgan Katarn was on How I Met Your Mother! This is why live-action video games are the best. You get to watch The Prestige and go "JEREC IS IN THIS."

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Spoilers, I guess.

Jerec plays a Nazi General in the two part season four premiere of Star Trek: Enterprise.

Season three ended with Captain Archer seemingly sacrificing himself to save Earth from the Xindi.

At the very end of the S3 finale, an Enterprise shuttle pod is attacked by P-51s and Captain Archer is a patient in a Nazi camp and some alien is dressed as a Nazi.

It turns out that the Enterprise went back in time to WW2. I did not watch the two part season four premiere or the rest of season four, save the series finale, which was rather terrible.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I remember playing Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight for the first time when I was 12, and when I saw that the cut scenes were live action and not computer generated I thought that was so cool. Almost 10 years later I watched them again on youtube, and I've yet to find something that looks cheesier :p Force destruction, as cool as it was, it always reminded me like some power from Dragon Ball Z. Jedi Outcast was and remains one of my favorite Star Wars games. Academy was super fun to play, I actually played it again about 2 years ago, despite the really simple and predictable story. Oh, and yeah, I'm still waiting for a new Jedi Knight game [face_praying]

GrandMasterKatarn and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

So formidable is the beard that it can retcon itself into Dark Forces.

[​IMG]

8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005

And you get to watch Hollywood Homicide and say "Rookie One, you crazy mofo."

This is if you're stupid enough to watch Hollywood Homicide.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    non-factional saber colors make me nostalgic
    Neame did voices for TOR? That's so awesome!

10. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 24, 2013
    I love those games (hence the avatar), I have really fond memories of playing through them with godmode and flying mode when I was little :) Good times.

My favourite is:
    "He is a Jedi...he deserves a battle..HNK...URRRGH *does fish impersonation*"

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yep, I love it! LOL.

12. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    eriamjh!
    red5!
    jediwannabe 1!

Good times indeed! :cool:

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I never played DF2, but I did briefly play DF1 because my friend had it (I got lost in a drainage ditch in the second level so I stopped). My personal favorite was Jedi Outcast because it was the first one I played...I was never able to play a few of the campaign levels; being nine years old at the time I couldn't figure out how to avoid security on the one where you get captured and tortured if the alarm sounds, and I found great trouble in a few Nar Shaddaa levels, but I used a cheat code to unlock the final two levels so I could see the ending. Those, and the Doomgiver Detention level and the Bespin docking bay level where you fought Tavion, were my absolute favorites and I played them over and over again. I especially enjoyed fighting alongside the other Jedi on the Yavin levels.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  14. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 24, 2013
    The funny thing is that I actually believed that the Dark Side ending was canon years after completing the game, I hadn't realized there was a moral choice system. I didn't know what the hell was going on when I played MotS ("I thought I took over the galaxy, why am I back to fighting stormtroopers in caves again?"). It wasn't until I was about 8-ish that I replayed the game and suddenly Kyle didn't decide kill Jan for absolutely no reason. And best of all I got to see even more hammy cutscenes that weren't in the other ending, hooray!

CaptainPeabody and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    How was the decision made? Was it like Jedi Academy where you switch your lightsaber off for light side and attack for dark side?

16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    IIRC, yeah. Something like that.

I got past Talay in DF (creepy as hell), but not Anoat (creepy as ****) when I was a young warthog.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    By not killing and/or helping every civilian you encounter you got the light side ending and by slaughtering everything you got the dark side ending.

When you fight Maw, the decision has already been made and from there on you're only allowed the force-pickups that fit your alignement and weren't able to use force powers of the opposing side, even if you've chosen some prior to the boss fight. Of course the dark side ending was much more awesome and Kyle-worthy.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think the Chandrila Jedi tomb from Jedi Academy -- which IIRC was part of the demo -- is my favorite level from the entire series, but I've yet to replay through DF, JK: DF2, and Mysteries of the Sith. Also worth noting is that the Jedi Outcast demo is its own thing, a special level not in the game itself.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    It does make lore sense why the dark jedi were not all wielding red. Yes we know that many dark jedi do wield red in lore, like the Sith, however because dark jedi are........dark jedi, there is more of a chance of them not caring about sith traditions/rules/culture.

Your more likely to find a dark jedi wielding a non-red blade, then a Sith doing it.

Having dark jedi as villains instead of sith in dark forces 2, is something i think the Episode 7 could do, and maybe they should. Would be a nice change from the Sith being the traditional star wars enemy.. Of course if that was the case, im sure some, if not all, would wield red, because blue/green vs red is apart of star wars tradition, and i don't think would be abandoned in Episode 7. Though if that was the case, then at least some dark jedi could wield non-red blades (could be explained by the dark jedi being ex-jedi who care nothing about sith traditions, and kept their jedi blades/colors)

Revanfan1 and purplerain like this.
  20. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    I always felt bad for those civilians. They just wandered around bumping into walls and getting punched by drunk Gran. Poor things.
    They were, however, very rude, as whenever I bumped into them they would say "Hey!" and "Watch it!" rather than the polite "Excuse me." For shame!
    My brothers all slaughtered them indiscriminately, but I was a good Jedi. I just pushed Greedo off of cliffs.

Also, Force Pull was pretty much the most fun Force Power ever. I loved watching dozens of Stormtroopers run around screaming their little heads off while their rifles sat a few feet from them.
    Awwwww...who's a good little stwormtrooper?

TKT and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. NCISliar

Nov 5, 2013
    @DigitalMessiah: The best level(s) in my opinion were on the Sulon Star in Jedi Knight. That ship was so immense, it formed the playground for several levels, all of which were awesome.

Sadly the only other game of the series I've played so far is Jedi Academy, which had quite a few nice levels too, especially when there was some different gameplay required (except when it's a Dune reference). I'v once played Dark Forces, but I didn't get used to the controls. While the mouse could be used to look arround on the horizontal axis, Pg-Up and Pg-Down were needed for vertical movement. That was so exhausting that I didn't yet play it again.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I thought the "Dune" level was more a reference to Tremors.

RC-1991 likes this.
  23. NCISliar

Nov 5, 2013
    It might be, so far the only sandworm-thing I've had contact with was Dune and of course, Jedi Academy.

24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  25. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    [​IMG]