main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Dark Forces Saga

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DigitalMessiah, Nov 6, 2013.

1. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Going by the movies alone, I always thought that red sabers originated with Palpatine in-universe.

Speaking of which, I hate how the EU retcons movie characters into being imitators.

TKT likes this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Dark Forces 2 is only $5 on Steam. I can't really see it going lower in a sale, maybe $2.50. Mysteries of the Sith is $2.99. Outcast and Academy are $9.99 each. Or you can buy the whole pack for $20.

purplerain likes this.
  3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Never said every duel was red vs blue/green, of course there are exceptions. Of course in that film there was still red vs blue/green.

Though i do hope we do get to see another duel that doesn't involve red in the films, hoping there is a blue vs blue or green in episode 7.

Red vs red would be nice to. I want casual fans to know that heroes vs villains are not the only type of duels in star wars that are epic.

4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I think a simple reason which can be used to explain why Anakin used blue as a Sith, is not because the lightsaber HAD to be blue for Luke, but because Anakin really did not have extra time to replace his crystal with another one to create a reddish blade, for he didn't have time to waste.....he had to do his dark deeds.......

Though i wonder how long it takes to replace a crystal, maybe Anakin could have done it in a short amount of time. Though of course for this to be possible Palpatine would need to have spare crystals (natural or synthetic) that could produce a red coloring, lying around.

Though i don't think Palpatine had a spare red lightsaber lying around for Anakin to use.

However there is a way in which Anakin could have used a red blade, while keeping his original blade blue for Luke. If Anakin for some reason, had kept Dooku's blade after killing him. That could later lead to him dueling Obiwan with both blades, and when he is defeated, Obiwan just picks up Anakin's blue lightsaber.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Kyle is easier to beat in the game than in real life.

I do find it amusing that Force Grip won't work on him. At all.

6. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The greatest downside to Jedi Outcast, for me, is that it isn't as memorable. Maybe it was because Jedi Knight was something new for me, but I tend to believe that it was rather due to the cutscenes. I don't really understand why everyone has to point out that the acting is cheesy. In a video game based on a fantasy film with robots and lasers based on a serial with rocket ships. I never quite understand why people accuse the movies of needing absolute high class acting and accuse Liam Neeson of being wooden when playing a stoic and Hayden Christensen of doing exactly what needs to be done when playing an insecure Steve McQueen mix of Jake Lloyd and Vader in a homage to bad sci-fi television. This is fun, people, not the illusion of having sent a time machine back to Jesus' crucifixion and getting everything just as it happened in real life. Also, the over-the-top acting really pulls your adrenaline-ridden gamer mind into the emotions of the story. Kyle in emotional distress after killing Maw is telling something. A blob of polygons reacting to the apparent murder of his polygon sweetheart just didn't look the same back then.

So in short, yeah, while Outcast and Academy had a high replayability in freeplay "slash away with your own character model", especially because of the vastly improved lightsaber combat, the stories never crossed into memorable. I guess your mileage will vary if one of these games was the first/most important game for you at some point. But I actually wonder whether Jedi Knight was on to something with its hero on a classic journey following the mythic Luke hero mold, and the others were just simple action stories with character arcs that were considerably toned down.

7. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    This is probably why kids shouldn't play first person shooters years before they are about 8-ish. You know, when they tend to create a dark side character without knowing why the character always ends up evil.

Gorefiend likes this.
  8. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Hethrir wasn't mentioned in Jedi Outcast. Where was his connection to Desann established?

9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

This rather awesome article series

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Dark_Forces_Saga

purplerain likes this.
  10. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Thank you. It was quite brave of them to connect something so popular with something so hated.

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    All worshippers of Waru are beloved even Hethrir :p

Barriss_Coffee and purplerain like this.
  12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    A couple of years ago I found a Dark Forces mod with JA graphics. Unfortunately only the first 1 or 2 missions were available. Does anyone know where can I find DF with better graphics?

13. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Petition for an old Katarn to appear in the ST so that DF will get remade as a tie-in.

spicer likes this.
  14. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

But nifty. Reborn/Empire Reborn, wot.

More impressive still is that Havet Storm is kinda mentioned in Jedi Outcast as a result of that series.

purplerain likes this.
  15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Honestly, Katarn is such an iconic EU character, I think he's one of the few that shouldn't get "erased" from the post-ROTJ continuity (if they make it non canon with the ST).

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Someone has to at least say something about "Master Katarn" at some point.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Grey1 I didn't mean to be construed as complaining about the acting. I like it. I agree with what you said about the inconsistency in expectations about the acting. I think when it comes to Star Wars in general, and very well life itself, if people dislike something on purely subjective grounds they're more than willing to latch onto other criticisms to bolster their position, even if it is inconsistent with their opinions on other work. I'm sure that I do it, just not in this case!

Grey1 and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Hethrir and Desann could make for good ST villains.

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    So if Hethrir knows Desann and Desann knows Jerec...did Hethrir know Jerec?

[​IMG]

Also, I may be the only one, but I found Desann to be quite a fun villain. I also loved it in the final level, when you're chasing him, you meet him in a "hall of mirrors" type situation, and he says, "Your efforts are in vain." That, combined with the music from the Throne Room Duel in ROTJ, and the dropping rubble and various traps, make that last level very cool.

spicer, Barriss_Coffee and purplerain like this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Desann doesn't know Jerec.

I like the idea behind Desann using the Valley of the Jedi and Artusian crystals to empower people with the Force, but it wasn't really explored all that well. Maybe I'm expecting too much, as it's not as though JK: DF2 explored the valley all that well in the context of the game itself.

Jedi Outcast and Academy would probably look better if they got their own novellas; perhaps that's the difference.

Was Jedi Outcast the first of many sources to bungle cortosis? Or did SW Republic do it first?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    He doesn't? :confused:

Ahh, I remember, now; Desann was a Jedi in Luke's Academy, wasn't he? No way he could've possibly known Jerec then. Checking Wookieepedia, apparently that picture just shows them together just because they were both searching for the Valley of the Jedi. Thank you, Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia; thank you for confusing me with your non-literal pictures.

GrandMasterKatarn and Gamiel like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It was from Jedi vs Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force.

Continuing to compare Jedi Knight to its sequel, I think there's just a lot more cool design elements to come out of it, and even Dark Forces, than what came out of Jedi Outcast. The Shadow Troopers aren't nearly as iconic as Dark Troopers -- though I suppose Dark Troopers aren't really "iconic" except in the context of mid-nineties SW fans -- and the Vengeance is my favorite Star Destroyer. I guess I'm just a fan of most design elements of the game, whether it be the characters, the settings, the starships, et al.

Though I think Kyle's training is rather non-existent. In Rebel Agent, he already can use the Force telekinetically, and develops a sense of oneness with the Force after Rahn speaks to him telekinetically, which goes away when he becomes arrogant. Grievously wounded in the battle, he has a vision of Rahn which let's him know he's Force sensitive. The hologram of his father he plays on Sulon more or less repeats this and he gets Rahn's lightsaber. He uses it a bit and can deflect blaster bolts by the time he's at Barons Hed on Sulon, and is capable of defeating Yun in lightsaber combat, stating that his sword training at the Imperial academy helped him out. Then he meets Luke back at his father's old home, and Luke tells him he's a Jedi. But I think that at this time, Luke's labeling anyone that can hold a lightsaber and use the Force a Jedi.
    [​IMG]

But he more or less says his training is complete, and by the time of Mysteries of the Sith, which is concurrent to Dark Empire, Kyle is more advanced in the Force than Mara Jade and is training her -- though some sources label it a reciprocal apprenticeship. But then Kyle is a student at the praxeum the following year, and is evidently a silent observer. I think it would be both interesting and amusing if Kyle was, say, fighting the spirit of Naga Sadow at the same time Corran is off dealing with the Jensaarai and Luke is dealing with Exar Kun and there's like a mess of crises going on. But apparently Kyle decides to go back to mercenary work until Jedi Outcast, and the events of that story result in Kyle becoming a full time Jedi.

And he never changes his clothes the whole time.
    [​IMG]

It's rather curious that Kyle changes his outfit quite frequently through Jedi Knight, and is wearing a New Republic uniform in MotS, yet wears the same outfit from the start of JK throughout Jedi Outcast and Academy. I like to change it up with custom skins.

spicer, Barriss_Coffee and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I'd love that.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    He changes clothes in JK? All I've ever seen is the one you have there in that pic; the tan shirt with the brown pauldron.

25. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    One thing I would absolutely love about Hethrir and Desann in the ST is that we'd have a Force-using villain who's truly loyal to a non-Force-using superior.

spicer likes this.