main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Dark Horses of Dark Horse

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    In the Firefly universe's defense, they do appear to have eliminated all the actual Chinese people.

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    how is that a defense

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, for a 'verse where supposedly the Chinese helped colonize space they sure were lazy with using any Asian characters. I'm not sure they even named any Asian characters, or just had random extras dressed in vaguely Chinese-ish stuff. Though if they were wiped out even after colonizing space, I could totally see that happening in a Whedon series. At least they didn't just have all the villains as Asian, that would be a boring stereotype (although having typical Caucasian men in black from the secret government conspiracy as the villains isn't the most original either, of course). Firefly was just... entertaining, as a space western, mainly thanks to the actors themselves. I think Castle is lasting so long partially due to how entertaining Nathan Fillion is. I'm only slightly interested in the comics, but mainly for learning about the loose ends. Book's past was one, but it didn't turn out to be that interesting in the end, so don't think they've gone into Inara's past yet.

I haven't read B.P.R.D. but from what I heard online, it sounds really grim by now, which is why I'm not interested in starting it up. That and it would take a while to catch up, whereas Hellboy is a bit simpler (only slightly though).

Hm, Dark Horse has the Terminator license too I think, but I honestly can 't remember any of their comics so that's not a good sign. Doesn't help that I'm still too bitter over the cancellation of the Sarah Connor Chronicles yet they waste all that money on T3 and Salvation and whatever the next disaster they're working on. Hm, they have Halo too, but never bothered to read their earlier stuff and their current Escalation series just comes off as just like their Mass Effect comics. And that Spirit of Fire tease was just cruel. :rolleyes: I liked Halo Wars. Well, they're probably not allowed to do too much with the license as Halo 5 is still a long ways off.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Öh... except those right there in episode 1 ;)

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I've never seen Firefly, but.. er, how do you eliminate an entire group, or am I taking "eliminate" too literally here?

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    CooperTFN was obviously making an off the cuff response people?

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You're both right. It was a joke, the intent of which was that all actual Asian people had been killed off so there was no one left to correct the white folks' mandarin.

Gorefiend and Ender Sai like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    While I can see how you drew that conclusion from the info available, I'd have to say au contraire!

What BPRD does very well is have an ongoing apocalypse that the heroes can't stop, yet that doesn't stop them doing what they can. It's a bigger version say of B5's final stage of the Shadow War - the Shadows and Vorlons are nuking planets like it's a game of pool on a galactic level, Sheridan and co can do bugger all to actually stop that, but they still do what they can. There's something quite endearing about a fight against impossible odds and BPRD gives you an interesting set of characters to root for.

So yeah, it should be hopelessly nasty and grim.... but it isn't that grim!

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Out of SDCC:
    Details here.

10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'll be buying some of these, now that I'm cutting down on the star wars comics.

Zorrixor and CooperTFN like this.
  11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I would totally buy a comic about the Revolutionary War if it weren't by a guy who's proven himself completely incompetent at storytelling on Star Wars already.

cdgodin, Gorefiend and Zeta1127 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.