main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Dark Intruder (JA fic)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Darth Tristeza, Apr 2, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Tristeza

Darth Tristeza Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2000
    Okay, I'm going to post this story against my better judgement. It is the first story I ever wrote...I've always been more of a reader than a writer...but here goes!

WARNING!!! This is my version of JA#7...therefore, it contains spoilers for any JA book before #7. This picks up right where #6 left off.

The Jedi Temple was under siege. He could think of little else as it came into view upon entering Coruscant's atmosphere. There had been an attempt on Yoda's life, and the news was too disturbing to take in. The temple had been his home for as long as he could remember, and it had always been a place of peace. Now, as he hurried down the ramp towards the temple gates, the peace that emanated from his boyhood home had been replaced by unrest. Something was definitely wrong. He shot a sidelong glance at Qui-gon who strode by his side. He too, seemed uneasy.

"Obi-wan" Qui-gon's voice made him look again at his former master. "You are to go straight to your old room. Do not leave it until you here from me."

The older man's tone left no room for argument. Obi-wan realized that this was probably how it would be from now on. Qui-gon no longer trusted him. There would be no more adventures at his master's side. He wasn't even allowed to help when his own home was under attack. What if his friends were in trouble?

"You will stay in your room, Obi-wan!" the boy looked up again, startled. He had never heard his former master speak so roughly to him. He felt his remaining hopes die within his chest. Qui-gon would never take him back as his apprentice.

Qui-gon hurried into the temple leaving a crushed Obi-wan behind. He hadn't meant to be so sharp with the boy, but he needed Obi-wan's obedience now more than ever. This was a dangerous situation they were entering, and he wanted to be sure Obi-wan would stay out of harms way.

He quickly headed for the council's chambers knowing that they had called an emergency meeting to discuss the recent events. As he strode down the empty corridors he worked on centering his thoughts on the present situation. He was going to need all his concentration for the task at hand. He had to find out what was going on at the temple. He had to put a stop to this before someone was hurt. Entering the council chambers, he noticed that Tahl was already there, and the discussion was well underway.

"Bring Obi-wan back, did you?" Yoda suddenly inquired of him.

"Yes, master. I sent him to his room." Why would he be asking about Obi-wan now?

Yoda seemed to stare right into him. "Of help, he could be. Work with us, he should."

Qui-gon felt his impatience rise. How could he be trying to get him working with his former padawan again when his own life was in danger? "Master Yoda, I think we need to concentrate on the situation at hand. Certainly your feelings on the boy can wait until this situation is resolved."

For an instant Qui-gon thought Yoda would just continue to stare into him. He realized that they were short on help. Jedi Knights did not generally visit the temple often, unless they were in the market for a new padawan. Still, the pain from Obi-wan's betrayal was too fresh for him. He couldn't work with the boy. Not yet. Maybe not ever again.

To his relief Yoda returned to the topic of the meeting. "Know who the intruder is, we do not. Discover this first, we must."

2. Darth Tristeza

Mar 7, 2000
    ACK!! Sorry! I didn't realize that everyone here has probably already read my story! It wasn't until all the problems with the server that I noticed that most of the people on my mailing list are here too! Soooooo...if there is anyone out there who hasn't read this story, and would like to, let me know, and I'll keep posting. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll just delete this thread so it won't clog up the board. Okay?

[This message has been edited by Darth Tristeza (edited 04-05-2000).]

3. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    I don't believe I recognize this story, at least not yet.
    Even if I did I would ask that you continue posting as

1)There's always those out there who haven't read it
    and
    2)A good story is always worth a second read

4. Kid Jedi

Kid Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2000

Don't stop now. I don't recall reading this one either...I would love to see more posted.

Shall I beg !!!!

5. Darth Tristeza

Mar 7, 2000
    Okay, well...it's true that good stories can always be re-read...I don't know if mine would qualify...oh well. Here you go. For my two fans.

Obi-wan trudged through the temple to his old room. He thought about stopping by his friends' rooms first to see how they were doing, but he quickly pushed those thoughts aside. He would not disobey Qui-gon this time. Instead, Obi-wan turned his thoughts to the last few days, and all that had happened. He was glad the situation on Melida/Daan had come to a peaceful end. But his heart was heavy with the knowledge that he would probably never be Qui-gon's padawan again. He had been so swept up in the Young's struggle for peace, that he had lost sight of his own future, and quite possibly ruined it. Still, he couldn't take back his decision now, and in all honesty he knew he wouldn't, if given the chance. Cerasi had died, and he wouldn't tarnish her memory be wishing he'd never been to her planet. No, what was done, was done. Now all he could do was look towards his future. He knew that there was a chance the council wouldn't accept him back, but as he had discovered on Melida/Dann, he would always be a Jedi. Whether or not the council saw fit to let him continue his training, he had decided to live his life as a Jedi should. With that in mind, he entered his room and settled himself into a calming meditation. Whatever fate awaited him here, he would face it like a Jedi.

~*~
    Qui-gon and Tahl were in the temple's record hall sifting through data containing information on all the temple students for the last few decades. Yoda had seemed to think that the mystery aggressor could have been a former disgruntled student.

Tahl sat quietly at a console with an earpiece that fed her the details of files through a small audio transmitter. She was searching Bruck's history hoping to find some connection between him, and the man he had been on his way to meet the night he had been discovered.

Qui-gon had started with the temple students from 20 years ago, and was working his way through the mountain of information as quickly, and thoroughly as possible. "Enough of this. We are wasting time."

Lifting her head, Tahl directed her sightless gaze to Qui-gon. "I agree, but I can think of no better way to proceed. The intruder has left us with little to work with. We can only proceed by narrowing down the possibilities until his identity is discovered."

"No. There is simply too much information. Thousands of students have come and gone from the temple. If we continue like this, it will be years before we have even a good guess as to who is responsible."

"You may be right, Qui-gon, but what do you suggest we do? All we have so far is a random list of stolen items."

Qui-gon felt again a little nudge in the force. It was the same feeling he'd had when viewing the list of stolen articles the first time. There was a pattern, but what? "The intruder is trying to tell us something by his choice of items, I can feel it."

"What would the intruder want us to know? If you are right, Qui-gon, then our mystery invader is telling us about himself."

6. Darth Tristeza

Mar 7, 2000
    uh...hello?
    *looks around empty thread*
    If no one wants to read this, then I can delete it....
    delete it...
    delete it...

sheesh! It echos in here! Is anyone interested in this story at all? I don't want to clog up the board with junk nobody wants...

7. Darth Tristeza

Mar 7, 2000
    There, there. It will be alright. A lot of people write bad first stories.
    *patting self on back*
    Okay. Here is another part. If you read, you must reply, or this thread goes bye,bye. I mean it.

Obi-wan looked up as the communicator in his room sounded letting him know that he had received a message.
    Obi-wan,
    Come to the training room, you will. Much to discuss, we have.
    -Master Yoda

He stood there for a second just staring at the message. Yoda wanted to see him. This was it. It was finally time to face his destiny. But why in the training room, and not the council chambers? Something didn't seem right. He felt a faint stirring of the force, but
    quickly dismissed the feeling as his own fear about what Yoda might say. "Jedi are not guided by fear." he reminded himself aloud. He turned from the message and headed out the door, not wanting to let his thoughts delay him any further.

He arrived at the training room quickly and was surprised to find it empty. Just as he was considering the implications of that fact, he heard a voice from the door.

"Welcome, young Obi-wan. I apologize for the ruse I used to get you here, I'm sure you understand."

Obi-wan turned to find a tall figure in the shadows at the entrance to the room. He leaned casually against the wall, his long black hair nearly obscuring his features all together. The next thing that drew the boy's attention was the stranger's lack of Jedi garb. He was clothed instead in a featureless black flight suit.

"Who are you, and how did you manage to send a false message to my communicator?"

"Aah, patience. Don't they teach you that here? Sending the message was easy. You see, I've been inside the temple for days now. I have access to everything: student records, holo files, communicator frequencies, even your files Obi-wan. I know all about you. In fact, that's why I'm here. As for who I am, why don't you come with me, and I'll tell you a story of a boy much like yourself."

Obi-wan stared at the dark stranger. His obsidian eyes showed nothing but sincerity. He reached out with the force, and felt no deceit. Suddenly Obi-wan realized that he felt nothing at all from the stranger: no deceit, no good, no evil, no presence. It was as if he wasn't even standing in the room with him. "Why don't you tell me whatever it is you want tell me right here."

"Oh, yes! How foolish of me. Of course you would have reservations about going with a total stranger. You show great caution, a good trait in a Jedi. Very well then, why don't we make ourselves comfortable right here. Shall we?" he said indicating the training room's matted floor.

Seeing no other alternative Obi-wan accepted the other's offer to sit, and lowered himself carefully to the mat, never completely taking his eyes off the man.

"My name it Trevin Hol. I too, was a student here many years ago. But, much like yourself, I was not immediately chosen as a padawan. I was quite anxious to prove my worthiness, as I'm sure you'll understand, and I worked very hard on my fighting skills to impress the Jedi masters?"

As Trevin spoke, Obi-wan found himself drawn into his tale. He told of a boy filled with hope who held great promise as a Jedi. Though he fought his hardest, no master came forward to offer him apprenticeship. Finally, with his thirteenth birthday drawing near, Trevin had become desperate, and had begun practicing the most dangerous maneuvers, forbidden to students, with the hope that it would gain the attention of the masters. Instead of attention, he had gotten himself seriously injured. He had been released from the Jedi temple shortly before his birthday to return to his home planet.

"So you see, Obi-wan, I know what it's like to be denied the one thing you've wanted your whole life. And why? All because a few masters were so busy clinging to ancient tradition that they couldn't look beyond a mistake to see the true potential of someone who only tried to follow his heart."
    ~*~

Pulling up the list of stolen items on his datapad, Qui-gon began to read the items to Tahl.
    "A tool

8. Jedi Susie

Jedi Susie Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2000
    **Waves to Darth Tristeza** Hi Hi it's me!

Not sure why you would want to delete this story. I love it and others should be able to enjoy it.

**Notices Darth Tristeza starting to delete thread**

Okay, I do know the finer Jedi Arts and am not afraid to use them. **Whips out home made lightsaber (aka a paper towel tube colored black)** I KNOW how to use this, so keep your thread here!

**Darth Tristeza backs off slowly**

Very good. Now, I am going to leave, but keep on posting. This story is a very wonderful read and it keeps getting better!

~Susie

9. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Hmmm, hard to see what lurkers feel. Ahh.. but revealed my occupation is!

Write more you must, or lost I will be.

,I've watched Yoda too much!>

10. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    It's good...write more!

Kithera

11. Darth Tristeza

Mar 7, 2000
    Someone is actually reading this!?!
    **faints**

"Don't you see, Obi-wan? You and I are the same. The council will never agree to let you continue your training. They will send you away, as they did me."

Though Obi-wan still couldn't feel anything through the force regarding Trevin, his instincts told him that the man was not what he seemed. "What does it matter to you if they send me away? I am ready to face the council's decision."

Trevin stood, a look of excitement lighting up his features still partially hidden by his long hair. "That's why I'm here! I can show you a whole new universe outside the temple. One in which you will be free to act on your feelings without the interference or judgement of the council. Think of it, Obi-wan. You would be able to help people without fear of reprimand. I see in you someone much like myself, and I'm here to offer you what I have. Come with me, Obi-wan."

Obi-wan stood, his eyes locked with Trevin's. He still couldn't sense him. Taking a step back, Obi-wan realized that it was because he was being blocked from the other's mind. He'd never encountered someone with mental shields so strong. Whatever Trevin really wanted, it wasn't what he proclaimed. "I won't come with you. I'm going to stay and face the council. If they send me away, I'll leave, but I'll have no part in whatever you're offering. I've made enough mistakes already."

Suddenly, it was as if Obi-wan stood before an entirely different person. The compassionate man with the dark, sincere eyes was replaced instantly by a warrior with a wicked sneer. In a flash Trevin had a lightsaber in his hands, illuminating his face in an evil red glow. "Mistake? You've just made the biggest mistake of your life by refusing me, and this is one mistake you won't live to regret."

Trevin attacked Obi-wan so fast, he was barely able to ignite his lightsaber in time to deflect the blow. When their blades connected, the impact was so strong, it sent Obi-wan to his knees, feeling the force of the contact through his arms and all the way down to his toes. Dropping, and rolling away, he realized that there was something different about this enemy. He was stronger than any master he'd ever sparred with.

"You feel that, Obi-wan? The healers of my planet couldn't heal my legs and arm, but they were able to give me new ones. Mechanical implants, much stronger that mere flesh."

Trevin attacked again, jumping towards Obi-wan, and kicking in mid air. The boy had barely managed to side step the kick when he felt Trevin's fist connect with his midsection, the strength of the punch sending him flying backwards.

~*~

"Thank you, Master Di'Nal. You have been most helpful."
    "Shame on you, Qui-gon! If you were still a student here, I'd take you over my knee for lying like that. I've been no help at all, and you know it."

Qui-gon smiled down at the wrinkled figure hunched over the table. Master Di'Nal had been working at the temple since long before Qui-gon had been born. He didn't think anyone, except maybe Yoda, knew just how old he was. "It wasn't a lie, Master. You've helped us determine that the intruder didn't volunteer for you."

Grunting, the old master waved his hands dimissing the Jedi who had come to see him. "Run along now, young ones. You have a thief to catch."

"Yes, Master." Tahl and Qui-gon said almost simultaneously as they left.

Once they were several meters down the corridor from the ancient master's room, Tahl touched Qui-gon's arm. "Did he ever spank you when you volunteered for him?"

"Hmp! More times than I'd care to remember." Qui-gon could see the amusement in Tahl's eyes. She may have lost her sight, but she hadn't lost her sense of humor. Then, clearing his throat he added, "Let's go see Yoda, and let him know what we have so far."

"Alright, but when this is over I'll be sure to inquire about those spankings." This time Tahl couldn't keep the chuckle from escaping her throat as they continued towards Yoda's room.

12. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Oh no! Obi's in trouble! Save him Qui-Gon, hurry! We know you still care!
    Ack! I just read JA #5(which totally bites), and now I'm in the middle of reading #7. Could you like, maybe, make Obi have a detailed flashback of exactly what happened in JA #6, 'cause I can't find it anywhere. Er, okay, maybe not. Just wishful thinking...
    Anyway, this story is great! I haven't read it before either, so please don't delete it! 'Cause I must find out what happens. So hurry and post more please!

13. Darth Tristeza

Mar 7, 2000
    Actually, this story is already written, so adding a flashback would be more than my little brain could handle! Now that it's done, I'm kind of scared to mess with it!!

However, since spoiler warnings have been posted, I'll spoil you.

#6 did little to add to #5, in my opinion. Basically, Obi is still on Melida/Daan helping the Young, and Qui is back at Coruscant, working with Tahl to try and figure out what's going on...items are turning up missing...the same ones from my story (missing equip, missing crystals, missing records,etc.), and discover that Bruck is helping an in the temple intruder, but they still have no idea who the intruder is.

Meanwhile, Cerasi dies by a stray laser bolt right in front of Obi, and he's all shook up. He sends a message to Qui, and asks if he would come back to the planet and help him bring peace. (the Young had already established a government, with Obi as head of security)

So...to make a long story short (oops, too late!)... Qui returns, and helps Obi, and we find out that Qui cares about Obi, but doesn't know if he will ever accept the boy back...he's in pain. And, of course, Obi feels terrible. Just when they are about to leave the planet, Qui gets a message telling him that there has been an attempt on Yoda's life. The book ends with the boys boarding the ship to rush back to Coruscant.

14. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Hey thanks Darth Tristeza!
    cool.gif cool.gif

15. light_sabe_r

Feb 11, 2000
    You WILL post more!

Guys don't post anything about the real JA#7 since we don't get it here until ages afterward.

16. Darth Tristeza

Mar 7, 2000
    *Darth T's eyes glaze over as she speaks in a monotone voice*

I WILL post more...

Obi-wan hit the rear wall of the training room, and fell limply to the floor. His ribs were on fire, and he was more than a little dizzy as a result of his head connecting with the wall. He reached out to the force, willing his body to forget the pain long enough for him to stand up again. As he picked himself up off the floor, he heard the sound of Trevin's laughter.

"Surely you can do better than that, young padawan. Trevin said, placing a sarcastic emphasis on the last word.

Obi-wan knew that Trevin wanted to make him angry enough to lose touch with the force. He couldn't let that happen. He closed his eyes concentrating; feeling the living force as it flowed around him. He knew he was no match for Trevin in open combat, he needed to find a way to get the upper hand. The platforms! The training room had a series of multi-level platforms along the side wall, for practicing aerial maneuvers. It had been his favorite exercise as a student. Opening his eyes, he ran for the lowest platform and vaulted up onto its polished surface.

"Ah, I see you want to make this interesting. Very well." With that Trevin backflipped onto the lower platform, but Obi-wan was already two levels higher.

Obi-wan went on, jumping to higher platforms, with Trevin following. When he reached the top, he quickly backflipped over Trevin's head, swinging his lightsaber down through the man's body. But Trevin had already anticipated the move, and he easily blocked the blow, and spun, sending his foot flying into Obi-wan.

~*~

Qui-gon and Tahl were almost halfway to Yoda's room when Qui-gon remembered Obi-wan. It was nearing the dinner hour, and the boy had been alone in his room all day. "I'd like to stop in and check on Obi-wan before we see Yoda."

Tahl merely nodded her consent, and they turned in the direction of the student wing. Once they were outside Obi-wan's room she told Qui-gon that she would wait outside to give him some privacy with the boy.

Entering, Qui-gon noticed that Obi-wan was neither in the room, nor the adjacent refresher. For an instant, he almost let his anger get the better of him. The boy had gone too far this time. How could he have disobeyed again knowing what it had cost him the last time? Just as he was about to storm back into the hallway, he saw the message on the communicator. A message from Yoda? That couldn't be right. Stepping back into the hall, he pulled out his comlink and contacted Yoda, describing the message to the Jedi master.

"Send it, I did not. A trap, this is." Yoda affirmed.

"Or, perhaps just a false alibi left by an irresponsible boy." Qui-gon retorted unable to keep the hurt out of his voice.

"No, Qui-gon. Obi-wan's doing, this is not. Reach out with your feelings, you must, and help him, you will." With that the old Jedi master cut off the communication.

Having heard the whole exchange, Tahl added "He's right, Qui-gon. Someone obviously wanted to lure Obi-wan to the training room."

"Why don't you go give our report to Yoda, while I check the training room. If someone left this message for Obi-wan he could be in trouble."
    ~*~

Obi-wan's upper body caught the edge of one of the platforms, and he slid backwards until he was barely hanging on by his hands. The boy closed his eyes trying to breathe. He realized that there was no way he could win this fight. He was beginning to doubt he would even survive it. Using what little remained of his strength he reached out with the force, trying to reopen his mental link with Qui-gon. He couldn't hold on any longer. He felt himself falling and screamed in his mind, "Help me, Master!"
    ~*~

Qui-gon headed for the training room on the other side of the student housing. He had just started to cut through the central garden when he felt Obi-wan's scream through what was left of their link. Qui-gon nearly stumbled as he felt the panic and anguish coming from his former padawan. It had been weeks now since he had felt anything at all from Obi-wan, and to feel so much all of

17. light_sabe_r

Feb 11, 2000
    Don't leave it there! More! More!

If you are still under my power, Darth, you WILL post more!

18. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Ack! On page two with more story? I don't think so! Uppity uppity up!
    Hurry Qui-Gon! Obi-Wan needs you! This story is really good, so please hurry with more 'cause I gotta know what happens!

19. JSkywalker

JSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2000
    Of course people are reading your story! Don't delete it, I've never read this one before, and it is really good.
    Soooooo.... Post!

Jess

20. Katri Tai

Katri Tai Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2000
    Great story!
    Please keep going

21. light_sabe_r

Feb 11, 2000
    I banish you from the second page!

Back to the top you go!

22. Darth Tristeza

Mar 7, 2000
    You want it, you got it.

Qui-gon arrived at the training room out of breath, not because of the running he had done to get there, but because of the scream he had felt from Obi-wan, and the sudden silence that had followed it. Stepping inside the room, his eyes were immediately drawn to the far side, below the platforms. There, in a broken heap, laid his padawan. He rushed to his side and knelt down.

His padawan. Qui-gon realized that he still thought of the boy as his padawan. Now, looking down at the still form, seeing the blood that trickled from his mouth as he took small, shallow breaths, he couldn't believe that he'd ever left him on Melida/Daan. This was his apprentice. It had been his job to teach him- to guide him to knighthood. Instead he had abandoned the boy the first time he'd been confused by the despair he'd seen all around him. And instead of being there for him, and taking time to listen to his feelings, and let him voice his concerns, he'd left his young padawan virtually alone, without the necessary training or experience to be able to see past the horrors he'd witnessed. Sure, he'd been physically present with Obi-wan most of the time, but now he saw that it was the emotional distance that had done the most damage.

Putting aside his tumultuous thoughts, he concentrated on his padawan. Attempting to assess his injuries through the force, he closed his eyes, and gently placed one large hand on the boy's shoulder. He almost winced at the injuries he sensed, and was glad that the boy was unconscious and unable to feel the pain. But the boy needed medical attention immediately. He opened his comlink, summoning the healers, then closed his eyes again to begin healing Obi-wan himself.

It was when he opened his mind fully to the force to begin healing Obi-wan, that he felt the other presence in the room. He immediately knew that it was Obi-wan's attacker. He could feel the darkness emanating from the shadows where the intruder was hidden. Qui-gon was on his feet in an instant, whirling around and igniting his lightsaber. Suddenly, a shadow darted out of the dim room. Though Qui-gon wanted to stay with Obi-wan, he had no choice but to follow.

He ran out of the training room, letting the force lead him, since he couldn't see which way the man had gone. After he had been running for several minutes, twisting and turning through the temple halls, he found himself nearing the docking port.

He entered the port just in time to see the stranger climbing into a small transport ship. Qui-gon knew that he couldn't let him get away. So he focused himself, and used the force to keep the ship from taking off. At least, that is what he had planned, but when the intruder started the ship, the sudden force of the thrusters igniting caused him to slip a little, letting the ship a few meters off the ground.

Qui-gon hadn't been prepared to hold back the sheer power of the ship's engine. Closing his eyes, he centered himself in the force, and visualized the ship. He was able to keep it from lifting higher, but he could not bring it down. His eyes snapped open when he heard the man speak to him through the force.

//How is your padawan, Master Qui-gon? You should have at least trained him to fight before you abandoned him on another planet. Yes, I feel your surprise. Did you really think I would come here without having done my homework? I know all about you and your former apprentice. There is one thing I don't understand, though, why did you even take him as a padawan when it is painfully obvious that you never wanted him in the first place?//

Qui-gon felt the words cut straight to his heart. He had abandoned Obi-wan. He'd made him feel unwanted from the beginning. With Qui-gon's thoughts in turmoil, the ship started to slip higher off the ground. No. He couldn't let him win. He pushed back his guilt and concentrated on keeping the ship from rising.

Without warning the dark Jedi pumped the throttle on the small ship to rocket it skyward. Though the ship barely moved, Qui-gon felt himself quickly tir

23. light_sabe_r

Feb 11, 2000
    YEAH!

Great post! I was wondering why no body had posted something like that, since Yoda lifted Luke's X-Wing outta the swamp. You are just too cool DT!

24. Darth Tristeza

Mar 7, 2000
    Wow. I think it is so cool that you think I'm cool. I've never been cool before.
    *Leans back and crosses ankles*
    I could get used to this....

This one goes out just for you, Light_sabe_r. Hope you enjoy, and reply even if no one else does. You're cool too!

Warning!!! Do not read this part if main characters dying could give you a heart attack!!!

Oops. I've said too much...

Qui-gon ran towards the healers. He had been resting in his room, when he felt Obi-wan's life force fading. Jedi weren't supposed to center on their fears, but right now it was his fear that made the bile rise in his throat, and it was his fear that sent him flying to Obi-wan's side at top speed. He couldn't lose the boy now. He hadn't even had the chance to tell him how sorry he was. He hadn't had the chance to let Obi-wan know that he was proud of him.

Bursting through the doors of the medcenter, Qui-gon went straight to Obi-wan's room, not even bothering to check with the healer on duty. He arrived at the door, almost colliding with the healer who was exiting the room. Skidding to a halt, he saw the look on the man's face, and knew without asking what had happened. "I'm sorry, Qui-gon. We did all we could. He's one with the force now."

With a strangled cry, Qui-gon dropped to his knees on the cold floor. He couldn't even see the hallway anymore as his vision became overrun with tears.

"NOOOO!!" The scream was torn from his throat as he sat straight up in his sweat soaked bed. His eyes took a moment to focus as he tried to calm the wild beating of his heart. It had been a dream. A horribly vivid one, but still just a dream. It had been two days now since the intruder had died trying to escape the temple. He had left a bomb hidden in the temple, in his last effort to kill Yoda, and the rest of the Jedi. Surprisingly enough, it had been Bruck who had saved them. In his remorse, he had returned to the temple and told them the location of the bomb. He told them how he had been deceived into helping Trevin Hol steal items from the temple. He had let his anger and fear get the best of him, but he had never wanted to see the temple destroyed.

So young Bruck had returned all the rest of the missing items, and gone before the council to make an official apology. He would not be trained as a Jedi. The council had decided to send him to a world on the Outer Rim where he would assist Jedi Knight Coztu Panthmir in caring for refugees from a nearby war-torn planet. Not a pretty assignment, but one that the young man had readily accepted, knowing that he deserved to be banished for what he had done.

Though it was still dark, Qui-gon knew that he would get no more sleep this night. He climbed out of bed, and showered quickly, washing away the sweat from his nightmare, and changing into a clean tunic. He headed down to the medcenter to see Obi-wan. The boy had spent all of his first day in a bacta tank, and all of the next day asleep. Qui-gon had been in the medcenter the whole time, but the boy hadn't woken up yet. The healers had eventually forced him to return to his quarters for some much needed rest, assuring him that Obi-wan was well on the way to recovery.

Entering the medcenter, Qui-gon felt a momentary chill as his dream came back to him. The healer was not in the boy's room, however, so Qui-gon settled down in the chair next to the bed to watch Obi-wan sleep.

"Qui-gon." Qui-gon's eyes snapped open as someone gently shook his shoulder. He was still in the chair next to Obi-wan's bed, but he didn't even remember falling asleep. "I thought the healers had ordered you to your quarters."

Qui-gon looked up to see Mace Windu's friendly stare. "I did go to my quarters, I just didn't stay there."

"Well, your presence is requested in the council chambers. We sent a message to your room, but I figured you wouldn't be there, so I told Yoda I'd come get you."

Qui-gon rose somewhat stiffly from his chair. "You know me too well, old friend."

"You always were the rebellious one." Mace noted with a twinkle in his eye.

"Only because you never got caught.

25. Darth Tristeza

Mar 7, 2000
    "NOOOOOOOO!!!" Darth T. screams as her fic drops to the second page without anyone having read it.

UP!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.