main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*The Dark Jedi, Asajj Ventress* (Clone Wars spoilers imminent)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Pooja, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Caution: DEFINITE Clone Wars spoilers ahead

Conceptual art design
    Attack of the Clones, The Art of

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/feature/20030220/img/asajj_bg.jpg]

People are going to hate her, and people are going to love her. Sounds like the general opinion on the art direction of this new Clone Wars series. The inspiration used to create Ventress came from an early Attack of the Clones concept artwork, which was a probable early bet for what eventually ended up to be Count Dooku, or Darth Tyranus. Anyhow, the team of artists behind Samurai Jack and other Cartoon Network series used this conceptual artwork for Ventress. It is a female Dark Jedi, possibly a member of the Lost 20, a group of Jedi that resigned from the Order. Count Dooku was also one of these rebellious Jedi who left for some reason or another.

Anyhow, in honor of those of us who love the direction of the new series and are eager to see Ventress in action, I've created this thread dedicated to the Dark Jedi who, the official site states, will face off in a furious lightsaber battle with Anakin Skywalker after being sent by Count Dooku to assassinate him. I think this will make for a nice saber duel and something to watch over and over, and hopefully since it is hand drawn animation, it will be just as cool as the saber battle at the end of The Phantom Menace. Tartakovsky has stated that it will be a "hardcore" fight, so we'll see now, won't we?

Hopefully we will get some new artwork and info on this cool new character sometime in the future. It has been stated that she is a Dark Jedi "hired" by Count Dooku, but perhaps she is his apprentice as well? And for some reason, I just don't think Count Dooku or Darth Sidious really cares about this "rule of two" going around. It's a hot debate amongst Star Wars fans, for sure, but the question is... is it really that big of a deal? I don't think so. Dooku and Sidious would probably do whatever they want to in order to acheive their goals, so I wouldn't put it past them to break a rule that some deceased Sith made up years and years ago. Just my opinion, and doesn't really have much to do with the topic, but I felt like touching on it a bit to backup why I think that Ventress has a chance of being in Episode III, that is, if Anakin doesn't end up plunging his saber into her, which I see happening as well. Do I think she will be in Episode III? No. But no one really knows what Lucas will do, and the possibility definetly exists.

So there you have it. I think Ventress is a wonderful addition to the Star Wars universe, and if she only appears in a few episodes of Clone Wars, so be it. I personally hope she sticks around for a while. This thread can be used to discuss anything about her. It's okay to discuss her relations (or lack thereof) in Episode III, but since this is the Small Screen Star Wars forum, I'd think it would be more appropriate if we stuck to her relations to the Cartoon Network short flicks.

Oh what the heck, just post away, you bunch of beautiful people.

Sources:
    Star Wars: The Official Site

Star Wars.com

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I thought the Lost 20 were all Jedi Masters? Well, that's what I remember but everything's pretty cloudy when it comes to the subject. :p

Anyway, great Thread, Pooja! Don't know if you read the Dark Horse Comics but Commander Asajj will feature prominently in upcoming issues of Republic and will even make her first appearance in the Jedi-Mace Windu one-shot. I hear rumors that she is a fomer Master of Windu's...that, or a former instructor of Vapaad, the deadly near-Sith like lightsaber Form VI style. I'm pretty excited about seeing Assajj...she might be deadlier than Darth Maul and Aurra Sing but that's MHO...

3. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    What's interesting is the same character is in the Bounty Hunter game.
    She is the last person you have to defeat.
    I wonder if it's supposed to be the same person?

4. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Well remember, nothing is said about Ventriss being a Sith, just a Dark Jedi. This won't actually be breaking any Sith rule of two.

"....but her role in here is that Count Dooku hires her like a new Jango Fett-type. She's sent as an assassin to kill Anakin."

She isn't an apprentice to Dooku or anything like that. This will open the door, however, for answers to the question that has been asked on this forum hundreds of times; what happens to fallen or rejected Jedi if they cannot be Sith? This definitely ends the old debate from years ago that raged over whether or not there were actually such a thing as Dark Jedi!

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The character is Bounty Hunter, is a different character- Komari Vosa.

>>It is a female Dark Jedi, possibly a member of the Lost 20.<<

The Lost 20 were the only Jedi Masters to leave the order, so Ventress is most likely not among their ranks.

Here's a picture of Ventress from the cover of Republic #53.

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/01/img/republic53_bg.jpg]

6. leif

leif Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 1999
    her character seems great so far by what little is actually known. i dont see this as a violation of the rule of two... and i dont understand why all the purist cant accept having Dark jedi. hopefully it will be Anakin that takes her out... which will piss Dooku off even more. which could weaken his role as Sidious' apprentice.

cant wait to see how the tie her into the clone wars between the cartoon and comics.

anyone know if she will show up in any of the clone wars novels?

7. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Hm, okay, so she probably wasn't from the Lost 20. I'm just speculating with the rest of you. And that art of her and Obi-Wan fighting is pretty sweet. Thanks for the image.

8. GeneralOtto

GeneralOtto Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2003
    Hi, all, new here. I agree that it is strange that the character for this cartoon is so similar to the chick from the Bounty Hunter game with the lousy haircut and the twin curved lightsaber handles in the design of her former master, Dooku, but who is killed shortly before AOTC. Isn't it kidd of overly ironic that Dooku would have a hand in training two females who both have weird hair (be it little or none)and fight using twin curved lightsaber handles? Is creativity lacking a little here? I'm not downing on CW at all. It sounds awesome, but couldn't the people at LFL be a little more ingenious in their character department?

9. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Masters tend to pass along the same styles and such onto their apprentices. That's the way I look at it.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Maybe she isn't killed....

But sir, he's dead.

Ha! Shows what you know! For your information, your friend here is only mostly dead. Mostly dead means partially alive. If he were all dead, there's only one thing we can do.

What's that?

Go through his pockets and look for loose change.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Isn't it kidd of overly ironic that Dooku would have a hand in training two females who both have weird hair (be it little or none)and fight using twin curved lightsaber handles? Is creativity lacking a little here?<<

Well, it's something of a coincidence to a degree I think- Komari Vosa was created first, and when they went to make Ventress, they used that AOTC concept art as her basis- they just happen to share some similarities in that they both use curved-handle style sabers and are females who, at some point, have trained under Dooku. But one was a Jedi turned Dark Jedi, while the other seems to have never been a Jedi and just started off asa Dark Jedi more or less, just taken under Dooku's guidance.

12. Admiral_JasterMereel

Admiral_JasterMereel Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I see "Ewoks" all over again... :(

You Rebel Scum!
    ~Bôba Fe++

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    For those of us who haven't seen Ewoks, what is that supposed it mean?

14. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    For those of us who haven't seen Ewoks, what is that supposed it mean?

It's supposed to be an insult.

Does anyone know of any other images of Asajj Ventress?

-Otis

15. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I like the Clone Wars series art style, but I would also like to see what she would look like if she was in, say, Episode III.

16. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    As long as she doesnt use magical soap to defeat her enemies which are really just walking teddy bears, i'm happy.

17. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    2ndQuest, thanks for the Tom Fowler cover.

Otis, last months's Previews has a work-in -progress image of Republic# 53's cover featuring Assajj and Durge done by Brain Ching. Dark Horse hasn't put it up online yet... :(

18. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Dark Horse hasn't put it up online yet...

Well, they should be made to.
    By whom? Who's going to make them?
    I don't know. Someone.
    You?
    Of course... me!

*e-mails Dark Horse*

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/02/img/mace/dp_asajj.jpg] TOS Updates with more on Ventress:

Spotlight: Asajj Ventress
    A ruthless and cunning military mastermind, the beautiful and deadly Asajj Ventress was discovered by Count Dooku on a war-torn planet shortly after the Battle of Geonosis. She demonstrates a natural and corrupt mastery of the Force, and is a formidable opponent with her paired curved lightsabers.

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/02/img//mace/spotlight_asajj_bg.jpg]

20. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    She's apparently a Separatist Commander as well. This is getting interesting.

21. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    So she'll be in the very first comic featuring Mace Windu. I just wonder what her overall role in this series will be. I'm also willing to bet that the Clone Wars cartoon Ventress will be quite different than the one in the comic, but it would be great if they were the same.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, going by the article on TOS that announced the series, they made Ventress for the comics first, then the folks behind the cartoon took it from there, so I'm sure they're aware of the character's initial appearance and attitude, at least.

So, as a result, I don't think you'll see much of a change between the different portrayals of her.

23. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    The2ndQuest- Thanks for the images.

-Otis

24. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    2nd Quest, thanks for the updates and great images. That is Jan Duursema's Assajj vs a poor Weequay Jedi, right?

pooja, any luck on getting DH to put up the cover to R53? ;)

25. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I e-mailed them a few hours ago. No response yet, but that will probably take a day or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.