main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Dark Knight: Casting Rumours for the Third Movie

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zethyus, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Oy. I guess people have their opinions, but what a crass thing to do.

And I'd definitely pick someone besides a raving lunatic to associate with myself :p

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Duct tape? If you're going to do it, do it right.

4. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Damn :(

5. Kylec1138

Kylec1138 Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2008
    I am saddened by this news. Aaron Eckhart was the perfect Harvey Two-Face, but at least his character got a proper story. Batman Forever didn't even remotely touch the real depth of the character.

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    It would've taken a LOT of lipstick.

Funny though.

7. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005

Double damn!!!

I can live with this, but, now, if they do another film, then they just need to use another villain. Please don't recast the Joker. It's one thing to recast someone who wasn't even in the comics and served a, somewhat, brief purpose, but recasting the Joker is recasting a central character of the overall story. It would be like recasting Agent Smith or something to that effect. At this point, I am thinking they should not make a third movie at all. I would rather just assume that TDK sets up the rest of Batman's life and, then, maybe 30 or 40 years from now they could get Bale to come back as the mentor in a live action Batman Beyond story or something to that effect.

8. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
  9. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I'm glad Dent is not coming back. His story was done, and I have always said that he was dead.

I was more into recasting the Joker than I was bringing Dent back.

10. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Subtle.

11. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    Just read a rumour that Chris Nolan is thinking about not doing no 3, as he feels he can`t do it without Heath Ledger.[face_worried]

12. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    OWNED!

Oh, no... wait, I mean...

DAMN!!

13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Hush is your friend, Mr. Nolan.

14. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    What'll happen is Nolan probably had this set idea and then DAMN Heath died so now he can't continue what he had in his head so why bother? Then because there was so much money with TDK why not have a sequel is what the dumb ass people who want money and think they know movies will say. History repeats itself. Burton had his two films then the franchise was destroyed like Alderaan, watch it happen now.

15. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Thank you for that incisive peek into the definite and certain future. May your crystal ball always foretell events as accurately and irrefutably as it has done today.

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    [heavy sarcasm] Well, it's clearly up to us to decide what the 3rd movie could be about.[/heavy sarcasm]

17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I still contend that Ledger's performance, while wonderful, was dramatically overrated and that it would be far from impossible to find another actor who could play the part in a sequel just as well or better.

18. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I still contend that if they go ahead with more films that there is a whole slew of other characters that could work, I don't see the point on treading on characters that have already been done.

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    You're probably right. I just get tired of people saying the filmmakers literally CAN'T go back to the Joker because no one could ever in a million years possibly turn out a performance so spectacular and transcendent and ...you get the point.

20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    He was a great Joker.

But there's plenty of other awesome villains in Gotham City who'd fit the realism requirements quite easily.

21. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I want to preface the following by saying that I love Heath Ledger. I don't mean just as the Joker (which performance I do prize as highly original and utterly captivating). I mean that every role I've seen him in (except perhaps A Knight's Tale, a film I found insufferable) he has moved me to the point of tears, astonishment, or both. I feel a deep affinity with his work. In truth, I love him -- the love of a true fan for an artist.

That said, and perhaps because of the above, I find I can do a damn good imitation of his Joker. The lip smacking, the nasal voice, the darting tongue, the rolling eyes: I can do it all. And I'm not alone: Come to find out (via youtube, of course), there's at least 37 other guys who can do the same thing! As precious as Ledger's performance is, as nuanced and as mesmerizing -- along with all the other praise you care to heap on him -- someone else out there can can do it just like that.

Probably the filmmakers of 3 -- whoever they turn out to be -- will not want a flat-out imitation of Ledger's performance. They'll probably want an homage, a performance that honors the role created by Ledger, but not a Kevin Pollack-style vocal mimicry. Heck, even the best imitative performances -- Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman, or Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison -- are at best interpretations of the personage being depicted. A little bit of the individual actor will always peek through.

So, in short, I'm with Halcyon on this. Sure, Heath is indelible. He's seared into the consciousness of both mainstream and SFF-sub-culture. But he's not irreplaceable. Probably no one is. If the Joker truly suits the next film -- if Nolan has a royal flush idea he's clutching to his chest -- I hope he'll have the grace to show his hand... and re-cast the part.

22. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    One more card game idiom and that would've been an awesome sentence!

And hey - you and I agree about something movie-related for once![face_dancing]

23. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    I agree. Heath Ledger was an actor in the role and he gave an iconic, Oscar-worthy performance. But if The Joker is necessary for the next film, by all means, recast it. Heath laid the groundwork, but I'm all for another brave actor stepping into the part under the direction of Christopher Nolan.

24. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Fixed. :p

I knew we'd agree eventually, on something, Halcyon, if we just kept arguing long enough!:D

25. Kylec1138

Kylec1138 Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2008
    Agreed. However, the question then becomes, who would want to step into that role? Heath Ledger's Joker has become one of the most iconic film characters in recent history, as far as I see. The buzz surrounding his portrayal of the villain and all the hype and the aftermath have been BIG. Whoever steps into his shoes better be brave, because he'll have a lot to deal with. Even if the performance is close, just as good, or (dare I say) better than Heath Ledger's performance, there will be people who will tear that actor apart.

On the flip side, it could bring a LOT of business to Batman 3, for I'm certain everyone will want to see Heath Ledger's replacement Joker.

And I still vote Johnny Depp for the replacement. Why do I vote for him? Because he's my favorite actor, and given his ability to portray almost any bizarre, twisted character (good or bad), I could see him very well giving honor to Heath Ledger's performance and the nuances he brought to the Joker, while adding his own unique flavor to the character, as he always does to any of his roles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.