main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San A, TX The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Darth-Hulk, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Hulk

Darth-Hulk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 2, 2003
    It is flawless! Go see it!

2. JEDI_SHADOWTECH

JEDI_SHADOWTECH Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    A must see movie ...#1 movie of the summer in my opinion

A wonderful performance by Heath Ledger as the Joker

3. thx1067

thx1067 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 30, 2003
    Obviously I can't keep my opinion to myself on this thing . . .

and though I gave my two cents about it at the meeting I can't resist blathering on about it again.

So lets begin . . .

I. HAPPY SURPRISES:

1. no stupid "one liner" zingers - though they did exist it but didn't linger due to the pacing
    (ex. The Joker, "You got a little fight in you, I like that" - Batman, "then you'll love me") I hate that crap, but it went fast and was imediately forgotten due to the crisis at hand.

2. the ending . . . though I've heard people discuss it as anti-climatic it was instead thoughtful, in terms of the narrative, and vital to the character arc (for all three good guys). It emphasized the tragedy and helped to set up the third installment. Batman must publicly redeem himself when Gotahm city needs him most.

3. The Joker . . . exactly as it should be. I was one of the nay-sayers to Heath Ledger. I had my own short list of actors who I would have preferred see inhabit that character. But what else can you say, I was wrong and I was deeply disturbed at night when I closed my eyes and his grimacing face haunted my dreams.

It is pathetic to say that we've had to rely on the animated series for a decent Joker. But more importantly, a villan that is truly terrifying. No "winking" from the director or the actor playing the villan. Just straight drama and insanity from the comic pages! Loved it!

4. No stupid toys! . . . Nothing dumb or outlandish like the previous pulp. At least the sonar was explained early in the movie so as to make sense at the end (no miracle bullet or magic sword that comes from nowhere narratively).

5. No sacharine moments (though it could be argued that the ferry scene was that moment). But it passed quickly and another crisis had to be resolved.

II. ONE MAJOR PROBLEM: Did Batman bend the barrel of a gun in the opening sequence? Was that my imagination? THAT, I had a problem with.

III. ASSESSMENT
    I can't say the movie was "great" because the movie finally lived up to my very high expecations. If it had surpassed my expectations then I would have to qualify it as "great". But it merely met them. I'm not speaking of the performances. Bale is an adequate Bruce Wayne/Batman. I still think they should have gone with an unknown.

And the production was first rate, but I still feel that Nolan's use of the camera during fight sequences remains confusing. I understand his intent, but it just never stops. At least give me a few seconds to see Batman in action from accross the street. What a pedestrian might see.

The music remains solid with a clear tense and pending doom about it.

On the whole it is a solid piece of cinema. The story itself is what I'm basing my critique on.

I was a fan of MEMENTO, so I have always expected a great deal from Mr. Nolan. And he hasn't let me down. I guess half my problem is being such an avid fan of Batman it's hard to impress me with a new story.

IV. BLATHERING COMMENTARY
    My own attempts at writing a story for a Batman film began in college. Almost everything I wrote or outlined ended up in BATMAN BEGINS, so I guess I was more surprised about that movie than I was about this one.

My story and Nolan's is committed to analyzing the layers of the criminal element, organized crime, and the definition of justice and punishment.

I think the next movie is going to have to wrestle with the question, "what is a hero?" and "do we need heros?" That second question was central theme of SUPERMAN RETURNS, but I think it remains valid in Gotham City for the third installment.

Clearly they are wrestling with some serious current event issues regarding HOMELAND SECURITY, Guantanamo, and Al-Queda terrorism. I expect the director, his brother and Goyer are going to be burning the midnight oil to answer some of the tough questions they have posed in THE DARK KNIGHT.

What the DARK KNIGHT did for me is get me revved up for the finale. How do you top the Joker? I've got my own ideas. Too many of th

4. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    About Batman's gloves...they were powered supposedly so he could bend the barrel of the gun.

I can't say anything better than you did Brent. The movie has cleared $200 million in 5 days. That's another record.

I think this is a great movie and I expected a ton from the film and it delivered in all areas. That's my opinion!

5. thx1067

thx1067 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 30, 2003
    Thanks for the clarification.

I'm going again tonight! I can't resist. MUST be the sign of a great movie when you are willing to spend 3 hours of your life going to a movie repeatedly.

6. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    LOL!!! I saw the movie three times in four days Brent. Rare is the movie that I watch in the theaters more than once.

Even rarer is the movie I watch more than twice at the theaters. The last movie I did that for was Revenge of the Sith. Before that it was Star Wars.

7. Sith_Mistress

Sith_Mistress Jedi Master star 3

Nov 12, 2001
    I find myself still thinking about some of the things that happened in the movie. It was seriously intense, and has stuck with me for several days now. I'll probably go back this weekend. My aunt really wants to see it.

Marselles, did you notice a difference between the regular version and the IMAX? I was still so absorbed in it that I forgot to ask you after we saw it on Saturday.

8. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    I did not see a difference. The picture was obviously clearer which allowed me to catch a few in the background things I missed the first time, but there wasn't any additional footage.

I had a frakkin' dream about the movie the other night. I kept picturing Heath as the Joker. The movie REALLY sticks with you. I'm sure I will see it one more time, though not in IMAX! Twice is enough!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.