main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Dark Nest Trilogy - worth reading?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheNewEmpire, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

As someone who has had a family member die from cancer, I found it rather tasteless.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I've had family members and a best friend die of it. Your point?

And Vthuil, it's a) not Godwin'ing (maybe Google that term), and b) it was really excessive in that book. Made Yoda look weak for struggling to lift an X-Wing. Troy Denning is a monster and the new KJA.

Pfluegermeister and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I just made my point up there. You have a real gift for hyperbole.

And Denning isn't the new KJA. Denning is far worse than even KJA ever was. KJA just made Daala incompetent, Denning put her in charge of the freaking galaxy.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As far as Dark Nest Trilogy goes, I would generally give it a high recommendation. A lot of people couldn't get past the whole "giant bugs" things, but once you do there's a lot to like or love about the series- primarily it has some pretty intense and gritty action sequences as well as a refreshingly complex adversary (the depiction of negotiating with a hive mind is absolutely unique and awesome).

In broader terms it works as a nice epilogue to the NJO (though it does backpedal on a few facets too quickly)- Star By Star in particular- and, more specifically, has Jacen doing some stuff I've wanted someone in the EU to do for decades.

The only major shortcoming of the series is that the ending was made less conclusive so to alter the series into functioning as a prelude to the (inferior) LOTF series, so DNT doesn't fully stand on it's own. Had it functioned as a stand alone, it would have been much more of a classic.

I may be in the minority when it comes to DNT (and Denning in general) but in this case, these other people are clearly in error :D. Now pardon me as I enjoy the view of my signed hardcover omnibus copy of DNT...[face_love]

Grievousdude and Darkwriter like this.
  5. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Eh. Hmm. I... Well...

As has been said, it is the beginning of a downslide that has made some, perhaps many of us, discard the post-NJO from our personal canon. But, I have to admit I actually rather enjoyed the DNT. In the same mindless way you can enjoy a crappy action film; turn your brain off, and stare vacantly at all the words.

Riv_Shiel, Revanfan1 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Comparing something to the Taliban is at least fairly parallel to comparing it to the Nazis.

7. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

I mean, Karen Traviss compared people to the Taliban. Eugh.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Now who is godwin'ing? :p

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Drop the Taliban/Nazi/whatever comparison comments now- it's fully inappropriate. We're talking about a series of fictional books here.

DarthJenari likes this.
  10. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Best post all thread.

11. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    ....Troy? Is that you?

12. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I'm also kind of wondering if I should just stop at the NJO, or at least skip Dark Nest

Namely because someone I know described the Dark Nest Trilogy as "Bug Sex"
    [​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Yes. Spare yourself the terribleness, unless you want a first hand experience of why the whole Legends thing was necessary even without Episode VII.

I once saw someone seriously suggest that the sequel trilogy should be an adaption of Legacy of the Force. Seriously. [face_sick]

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Basically, Dork Nest is one of the reasons why canon is better off dead.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Though still utterly harmless compared to LOTF and FOTJ

16. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    They gave me the creeps as a ten year old. Haven't gone back since. And that wasn't even the bug stuff; from the first chapter it just felt....wrong.

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I was thinking a while back that the only reason DNT really exists is to give a reason for Allana to exist. Everything else of note it does either was repeated in Betrayal (establish JINO as going to the dark side) or could have been done (whitewashing/overwriting the end of NJO in a chapter or two) or was overturned by Denning later on (the completely shocking twist that Jag was still alive).

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Wait, when did he "die" in the DNT?

(...And do I even care?)

19. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Huh. 2005. That would make you, what, 19 now? Was it really almost a decade ago? Stop making me feel old, dammit!

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The Joiner King has the dubious honour of being amongst the worst SW books I've read.

The principal reason being that, though not an NJO fan, I found what TUF had set up to be very interesting indeed and TJK obliterates that utterly.

At the end of TUF, it looked like SW was going in a morally complex direction; TJK immediately boiled that down to a horribly reductive: Yay! Jedi can Force Lightning yer arse without worrying about the dark side because there isn't one!

Also, instead of taking the opportunity of working why people didn't like the surviving Solo brats and fixing it in a positive way, the trilogy throws them both under a train, one becoming an arrogant arse - exactly what I didn't like about Jacen in NJO and Jaina just gets mind-frelled. It's the strategy of: Let's boost Luke, Han and Leia by making their kids look incredibly dumb.

SWpants, Ender Sai, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh there is so much worse stuff out there, though I agree that the largest thing you can blame it for is wasting the NJO ending, but everything was still fixable after Dark Nest, sadly then LOTF happened :(

22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wouldn't call it a good trilogy, though there were a few moments that ranged from almost good to half-decent. Along with a lot of cringe-worthy stuff. It also helps set the tone for LotF, but I wouldn't call that a good thing. It does not act as an epilogue for the NJO saga (TUF already does a great job of wrapping up all the major plot lines).

I'm not sure my memory is accurate, but years ago when they first came out, I didn't think they were that bad. Quite a few stupid moments, but it wasn't absolutely awful. Now, years later, I can't stand how many elements from this book would pop up in LotF and FotJ, all leading to just a colossal mess of things, all for nothing really.

If you want to read everything, as well as see how certain plots in LotF and FotJ started up, DNT is tolerable. But it would be better to just avoid DNT, LotF and FotJ altogether.

23. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    Wow, I din't expect there to be so much hate for the post NJO books. :eek:
    But from what many of you are saying, if I'm getting this right, that if I play to read FOTJ (and I do) then I really do need to read the DNT.

Darkwriter likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you want a real sequel to NJO, here's a far better suggestion: Go read X-Wing: Mercy Kill!

Riv_Shiel and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006
    Yes, you need to read DNT if you plan to read the books beyond. They affect a lot of the characterizations and character relationships, especially Jacen, Jaina, Ben, Jag, and even Tenel Ka. Hopefully the others can agree on that.

Guess again. There are (very few of us), who are actually Denning fans.

I totally forgot about the Force lightning. And I'd agree--the trilogy really does throw the Solo kids under the train once again, although I was once of those (again, few) people that actually liked them from the beginning and still liked them in this trilogy. Despite the lack of explanation, I thought Jacen's philosophy made sense for his characters; similarly, I felt that Jaina's actions made complete sense as well. That girl has always had serious abandonment issues.

I never believed he died. It's pretty well known that Denning is a Jaina/Zekk shipper. I get the feeling he tried to kill Jag off, but left in ambiguous so he wouldn't get into trouble. And then I like to think that Allston--who's said that Jag is one of his favorite characters t write--was all, "Yeah, no. You bring that boy back right now."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.