main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Dark Secrets of the Enigmatic Commodore Zuggs

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King_in_Yellow, Oct 1, 2015.

1. King_in_Yellow

King_in_Yellow Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2012
    Commodore Zuggs was the individual the Central Committee of Grand Moffs entrusted with the command of their titanic Moffship. Unlike Pellaeon in Zahns books, or Piett in the original trilogy, Zuggs does not have much interaction with the primary antagonist of the series. In fact, Zuggs probably utters no more than one or two lines throughout the entire Glove of Darth Vader series.

The only other appearance Zuggs had was as an Imperial character in the real time strategy game Rebellion.

Why would a nonentity like Zuggs be given the command of a warship of the Moffship's caliber? I suspect that there is much more to Zuggs than appearances suggest.

For anyone who has ever played Star Wars Rebellion, you know that you can send your characters to either Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader to detect force potential and then train them in the ways of the force.

One thing I noticed while playing as the Empire was that whenever I started a new game, Zuggs almost always had the ability to use the force. Is it possible Lucasarts was giving us a subtle hint as to Zuggs true nature?

Is it possible that Commodore Zuggs was, in fact, a secret Dark Side Adept? Let's consider the additional evidence.

We know that Emperor Trioculus and the Grand Moffs were searching for the glove of Darth Vader. We also know that the glove contained a powerful Sith amulet. It is entirely probable that the clone Emperor on Byss would have a great interest in such an artifact. Would the clone Emperor simply let a powerful artifact like that slip out of his grasp? But how could he get the glove or monitor it without revealing his presence to the entire galaxy?

If Commodore Zuggs were a loyal dark side adept- or perhaps even an Emperor's Hand- it would allow the clone Emperor to quickly seize the glove if need be. Additionally, once Trioculus, the Grand Moffs, and the Prophets of the Dark Side had served their purpose, Zuggs could commandeer the Moffship and order it to the Deep Galactic Core adding yet another star dreadnought to the defenses of Byss.

I think you will all agree that the above scenario is frighteningly likely. But I would also like to draw your attention to another possible scenario.

Due to supposed continuity contradictions it is hard to get a handle on the exact whereabouts of the real Grand Vizier Pestage in the months after Endor.

Are you prepared for something shocking? Go to wookiepedia entry for both Zuggs and Pestage. Now compare the first images you see on each page. I think you'll agree that the resemblance is uncanny.

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I'm always amazed at the obscure references LA was able to make.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I still don't know where half the characters in Rebellion came from. I'd be able to look them up, and I bet a lot are WEG, but that would destroy the bizarre magic Rebellion has.

4. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    If I could like this again, I would.

5. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I have a very expansive vocabulary and I still can't even begin to describe how much I love the fact that this thread exists. You make me so happy, Lit. [:D]

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Thread of the year.

Also, forget Sate Pestage. I'm more concerned that Commodore Zuggs's secret identity appears to be Abe Vigoda.

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    A surprising number of them are either from the Thrawn Trilogy, those obscure one-panel DE characters that got fleshed out in the DESB, or GODV characters... I feel like that accounts for a pretty big chunk. It's kind of surprising the game came out in 1998 considering how much of it is based in that really-early Bantam era.

LelalMekha likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm still upset they got Thrawn's rank insignia wrong. That bothered me in 1998 and it still bothers me now, dangit.

9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Most of the fringe types are from Far Orbit Project, Cracken's Rebel Field Agents, and Wanted by Cracken.