main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Dark side, limited to force users?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Carnage04, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

We see people in the GFFA that are in positions of power that are pretty vile individuals, Tarkin being one that springs to mind. My question is, can non force users be corrupted to "The Dark Side" in much the same way that a force user is? Is it possible Tarkin was a man of strong moral character that was corrupted by proximity to Sidious? The force is something that surrounds and is part of all living things, so we can assume everyone has some degree of the force in them. Would a guy like Tarkin be considered to have fallen down the Dark Path, or in the case of non-force users are they just cruel human beings?

Carnage

2. jedimasterinu

jedimasterinu Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Anyone may be corrupted to the Dark Side. EU coming up! In KotOR, Colonel Tobin is seduced to the Dark Side. He is not a Force user, but a standard soldier.

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I would hope he's just under the influence of the Dark Side, by another force user.

'Normal' people being evil, selfish, corrupt, cruel and all those nice things can and do happen without the Force - in fact I'd say it has far more meaning when they do it themselves instead of having the Dark Side as an excuse.
    "Humans suck", basically (although in Star Wars it's not entirely limited to humans, but a great deal).

4. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Hmmm ... good question. From what I gathered from the films, the Force is around everybody and everything. Now, some people (Force Users) have the ability to connect and manipulate the Force. Other, normal people (Like Tarkin) can't tap into the Force, but I believe they are still influenced by it. So that means that perhaps they can dip into the Dark Side, or to better put it, the Dark Side can tap into them.

5. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    I believe it?s a possibility and a lot of the Imperials may be corrupt by the Dark Side, but not Tarkin. I think that Tarkin has the same political beliefs as Palaptine did. He saw eye to eye with him and wanted to help out Palpatine and the Empire.

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Their corruption and evil strengthens the Dark Side, but I'm not sure they're connected to the Force in the same literal sense as the Jedi.

7. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. There is another topic about Anakin and Padme during the temple burning in the RoTS forum where people are somewhat debating Padme's force sensitivity. I think that the whole midichlorian thing sort of opened up a can of worms with force potential being a measureable amount. I think it was stated somewhere (I have NOOOOO idea where, but certainly an EU source) that there are indeed people that have a midichlorian count that is just a hair under being Jedi worthy. That being said, those people that are just under the Jedi radar are probably somewhat more likely to have a successful life and appear to be more lucky, wise, and charasmatic than others.

You are probably right about Tarkin. He probably held those ideals all the time. However, Needa may have been one that slid towards the dark side at some point.

Carnage

8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Why do you say that? What does Force sensitivity have to do with peronality traits? In fact, there seem to be plenty of flawed, even mean and evil people gifted with sensitivity to the Force. Greater luck and insight, sensitivity to the world around them, perhaps, but not necessarily charismatic or successful beyond what made be afforded them by their abilities.

Also, I don't think people aside from Jedi "fall to the Dark Side" in the same way that Jedi do. Do bad things? Sure. The thing with Jedi and with normal people is that a normal person can get angry, can be jealous, and get over it and continue their lives. Jedi are seduced by this outside Force that feeds on those emotions.

9. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Also, non-force-users can simply stop themselves and walk away. They choose every day to be evil.
    But "If once you start down the Dark Path" as a Jedi, "forever will it dominate your destiny". While the "forever" part is not absolutely true (all those redemptions) it takes a lot more to realize what they're doing and stop not only themselves, but the power that took hold over them. It corrupts their soul.
    Political/Military power doesn't actually do anything, people like Tarkin just want it that way.

10. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Would the Force corrupt non-Force Users? We know that non-Force User can't connect to the Force like the Jedi and Sith, but what if the Force connected with them? What if it's the Force that trys to maintain the balance between good and evil by dictating people's lifestyles? The Force could tap into someone like Tarkin, make Tarkin feel like he has choices, but ultimately his actions are intimidated by the Force. I know, that sounds like Matrix ... but I'm just thinking out loud.

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Way to go TwilekJedi. The Jedi have to contend with this external power corrupting them and clouding their judgement. There is something out there making them more evil, enhancing their negative emotions and actions because they make the Dark Side stronger.

12. poodookoo

poodookoo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004

Sagoro Autem immediately comes to mind - I seem to remember Obi-Wan remarking in the Republic comics that 'the force was strong' with him.
    For those that have followed his exploits in the EU (especially in Republic 78) this may explain why he posed a threat to Vader and the Emperor - possibly they felt he had more insight into the truth of matters (e.g. the 'Jedi Rebellion' against the Chancellor) than the other Imperial Captains.

Good idea, mate!

13. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I wouldn't say the Force has direct influence on non-force-users, but they're probably still subject to The Will of the Force. Han and Padmé are prime examples of this. I just don't know if directly or indirectly. But this may just be because of direct contact with key Force users (Anakin, Luke, Obi-Wan).

14. darth_da

darth_da Jedi Master star 1

May 27, 2005
    Of course the force can have an influence on people who are force sensitive, what do you think the mind trick is?

15. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    of course. I meant the grip the Force, especially the Dark Side, has on beings and what they do - not the Force itself being un/able to touch them. That one's a given of course. Sorry for the confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.