main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be unnatural"

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by GrievousKiller, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    No, it doesn't scare me, it just takes liberties with the force that we'd never see in the films, i.e. Mace defeating thousands of battle droid with his hands, Yoda using the force to make space ships crash together over corusant (from the clone war cartoons).

Remember, if we're going to believe all the EU, there are tons of Sidious clones and an "Evil Clone" of Luke and Luuke! (Remind anyone of Austin Powers?)

This is the FILM forum, so I think we should focus on the films, though some EU sources are interesting, I like to take GL at his word when he says:

?There are two worlds here,? explained Lucas. ?There?s my world, which is the movies, and there?s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe ? the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don?t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don?t get too involved in the parallel universe.?

Cinescape interview, 2002

2. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    Im talkiing about the jedi, not our lives.

That some would only be jedi though

3. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Extending life or creating life seems more ethically "unnatural" than the other powers you've mentioned. But you have to remember, that line is in the context of baiting Anakin.

4. GrievousKiller

Jun 20, 2005
    We don't know if sids can do that because we don't know if he's plageius's apprentice.
    Yes i know it is for baiting anakin, but he should be backed up if anakin asks, "what kind of powers?"

5. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    We don't know if sids can do that because we don't know if he's plageius's apprentice.
    Yes i know it is for baiting anakin, but he should be backed up if anakin asks, "what kind of powers?"

It is irrelevent if he is Plagieus' apprentice or not., he say's it because he knows that Anakin fears for Padme.and it brings Anakin closer to him, and drives him from the Jedi.

6. GrievousKiller

Jun 20, 2005
    That's what i said up there^^^^^^^^

7. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
    DR is a clone wars novel.

Moreover, Vader in Shadows of the Empire is known to employ a similar power, rather he could crush someone's lungs or heart.

8. GrievousKiller

Jun 20, 2005
    You mean Shadows of the Empire video game or another novel

9. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    but he should be backed up if anakin asks, "what kind of powers?"

Gotcha ;) , I just meant since Anakin never asks, it is irrelevant if he knows the power or not, we are on the same page.

10. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
  11. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Plageuis used the darkside to create life/stop people from dying.
    That's considered unnatural.
    Reguardless if anyone else did it or not, one uses the darkside to do it.
    Thus, the darkside is a pathway to what some consider unnatural abilities.
    Even if it's only the Jedi, the Jedi are still some people.
    In fact, I'd say Palpatine was strong hinting that he was referring to the Jedi when he said 'some' due to his line 'Not from a Jedi' implying that they'd consider it unnatural and darksidy.
    There's your answer. If you want to continue making a thing out of this however, go ahead.

12. GrievousKiller

Jun 20, 2005
    for the sith its always destroying things with the force

13. GrievousKiller

Jun 20, 2005
    But i mean is that it. That's the only power he benefits from.
    Even if it can save padme, that's it.
    when he said some, i was thinking just more people.

14. robbie_wan_kenobi

robbie_wan_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2003
    as i said earlier grievouskiller, i think your reading too much into it. the 'some people' he was refering to was the jedi. it was the start of his turning anakin against the jedi.
    unnatural abilities = suppossidly saving people from death

15. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    I agree with what Duggy and GrievousKiller have been saying about Plagueis. But, to take this a little deeper, let's remember that just using the dark side of the force is a corruption of the force in and of itself. Hence, Sidious and the Sith are the cause of the imbalance that is in the force.

16. GrievousKiller

Jun 20, 2005
    But is that considered to be an unnatural power?
    To the eyes of the jedi yes, buto non force users, no

17. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    But is that considered to be an unnatural power?
    To the eyes of the jedi yes, buto non force users, no

Is it bad to throw the force out of balance, to use it in destructive/unnatural ways?
    From what we know of the films, I'd say yes, regardless of what perspective you're looking at. Remember that all of this darkside stuff leads to the Empire, which is a bad oppressive regime that blows up planets at will.

18. GrievousKiller

Jun 20, 2005
    That's not unnatural though. There are good people and bad people, but it could be destructive.
    Besides, it was only one planet.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine was refering to the ability to create life and cheat death.

20. GrievousKiller

Jun 20, 2005
    That is only one sith lord. Who knows if Palps was Plageius's apprentice.
    IT is not the sith who have unnatural powers, its Plageius

21. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    That's not unnatural though. There are good people and bad people, but it could be destructive.
    Besides, it was only one planet.

Yeah, just one, but they would have used it on more and were planing to with the second death star.

22. inkswamp

inkswamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is." Master Yoda TPM

I'm at risk of repeating myself, but in other threads I've pointed out that this "clouding" theme (and clear hints at it) is sprinkled throughout all three films. It's one of the first things that Obi-Wan talks about in TPM ("Something... elsewhere... elusive...") Yoda talks about the dark side clouding things a few times. In AOTC, Dooku tells Obi-Wan that the dark side has clouded the Jedi's vision. There's more and lots of visual hints here and there, as well as the general way that the Jedi never quite seem to anticipate their enemy's next move.

Because of all that, I'm of the opinion that Palpatine has access to the ability to cloud the vision of those around him which is some kind of dark side power.

23. Skele

Skele Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2005
    I read somewhere about sith being able to conjure fire, at leastm palgueis could anyway.

24. Number20

Number20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2005
    I think Yoshifett is right. Most things Palpatine has said to Anakin throughout the movies has been what Anakin has wanted to hear. For example, he knew that putting Anakin on the council would make him happy, but would also create conflict between Anakin and the Jedi, and ultimatly help drive him from the Jedi. Anakin beleived he could/should be able to do most anything because of his great force abilities, so he wanted to hear that he could use the force to save Padme's life, so that is what Palpatine told him. I doubt Plageous could really do those things Palpatine said he could. I think the book for ROTS says that the Dark Side is about death, not life, and he really didn't have the powers that were claimed. I think that things like force lightning, and the force choke, is unnatural enough because they are using the force for offence, not defense, as it is meant.

25. GrievousKiller

Jun 20, 2005
    Im sure that the plaguies stor was true. Even though sith lords lie and cheat, Palps and anakin are like master and apprentice.
    He wouldn't lie to him.

You could be right.
    Hedid start saying that after ani came to the temple

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.