main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Dark Side Sourcebook: For non-RPGers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Cat, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I was rather dismayed at the absense of jumpin' jimminy Joruus for the DSSB; I figure he'll be appearing in the Rebellion-Era Sourcebook due out in a couple of weeks. Yeah, I know that wacky old Jedi Master was post-RotJ, but WotC's era divisions now seem to be :
    1. Golden Age of the Sith (from GAotS to the fall of Exar Kun)
    2. Second Rise of the Sith (from the unnamed Dark Jedi who re-founded the Sith up to Darth Bane establishing the "Rule of Two')
    3. Rise of the Empire (Prequel-era)
    4. Rebellion Era (Battle of Yavin to the Hand of Thrawn Duology)
    5. NJO (Young Jedi Knights to the present)

But I digress.

Given that Jerec is listed as a 15th level Jedi Guardian, I'd estimate C'Baoth to be a 15th or 16th lvl Jedi Consular.

As far as relative power/training levels, the Emperor's so-called "Dark Jedi/Dark Side Adepts" were nothing more than low-level mooks empowered by a class ability listed for the Sith Master (highest level Sith Lord possible) Basically, a 10th level Sith Lord can "lend" someone their skills. The example given in the Sourcebook goes as follows: A 10th lvl Sith Lord has 13 ranks in Affect Mind. By expending 6 vitality points (a measurement of stamina) he can transfer 6 ranks to his favorite assassin...The Sith Lord now effectively has 7 ranks of Affect Mind, and the assassin now has 6 ranks in Affect Mind. The ranks have to be "loaned" in person, but can be "kept" by the recipient over any distance. This lasts until either the Sith Lord "takes them back" (leaving the former recipient exhausted) or the Sith Lord dies. This would explain Mara Jade's loss in skill after the Emperor died.

As far as relative levels of power/training between Droga, Jerec & Sedriss, Jerec is a 15th level Jedi Guardian, while Sedriss is a 6th level Soldier/8th level Dark Side Marauder, which means that (according to game stats) while Sedriss may have more raw combat skills, Jerec is vastly more skilled in the Force. Jeng Droga is listed as a 7th level Jedi Guardian/9th level Emperor's Hand. Once again, a slight edge for Jerec in Force skills.

2. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I recently purchased the Dark Side Sourcebook, and I love it. It is the first roleplaying thing I have ever bought, and I have no interest in the RP aspect of it, I just love it as a reference book. What are the other Sourcebooks from WotC an WEG, and where can I find them? Especially the ones that are references for the novels (i.e. the Truce At Bakura Sourcebook [which I also just recently purchased])? Also, is the WotC Star Wars Roleplaying Game Core Rule Book worth picking up as a refernce book? Does it have the equivalent Jedi tiers like the DSSb has for darksiders? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

-Mandalore

3. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I have compiled a list of Sourcebooks and the like from both WEG and WotC. Does this look fairly accurate?

WEST END GAMES
    Star Wars Sourcebook
    Imperial Sourcebook
    Rebel Alliance Sourcebook
    Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
    Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition Sourcebook
    Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
    Truce at Bakura Sourcebook
    Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron Sourcebook
    Dark Empire Sourcebook
    Jedi Academy Trilogy Sourcebook

Galaxy Guide #1: A New Hope
    Galaxy Guide #2: Yavin & Bespin
    Galaxy Guide #3: The Empire Strikes Back
    Galaxy Guide #4: Alien Races
    Galaxy Guide #5: The Return of the Jedi
    Galaxy Guide #6: Tramp Freighters
    Galaxy Guide #7: Mos Eisley
    Galaxy Guide #8: Scouts
    Galaxy Guide #9: Fragments From the Rim
    Galaxy Guide #10: Bounty Hunters
    Galaxy Guide #11: Criminal Organizations
    Galaxy Guide #12: Aliens: Enemies and Allies

Alliance Intelligence Reports
    Alien Encounters
    Cracken's Rebel Field Guide
    Cracken's Rebel Operatives
    Cracken's Threat Dossiere
    Creatures of the Galaxy
    Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids
    Death Star Technical Companion
    Galladinium's Fantastic Technology
    Guide to the Tapani Sector
    Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
    Heroes and Rogues
    Hideouts and Strongholds
    Pirates and Privateers
    Planet's of the Galaxy, vol. 2
    Planet's of the Galaxy, vol. 3
    Platt's Starport Guide
    Player's Guide to the Tapani Sector
    Rebel Spec Forces
    Smuggler's Guide
    Stock Ships
    Tales of the Jedi Companion
    Wanted by Cracken
    Wretched Hives of Scum and Villany

WIZARDS OF THE COAST
    Dark Side Sourcebook
    Rebellion Era Sourcebook
    New Jedi Order Sourcebook

4. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    A good list of Wizards of the Coast sources, both those already published and those upcoming, can be found here.

Several of the books not specifically labeled "sourcebooks" still contain interesting information. For example, Secrets of Tatooine has a map that includes both Mos Espa and Mos Eisley, and a summary of Tatooine's status in the NJO that jibes with the events of Rebirth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.