main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Dark Tower series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by son_of_skywalker03, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    Not to mention the fact that he is 80 and might be dead(hopefully not) before the entire series is filmed anyway.

2. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    The names mentioned by most are:

Hugh Jackman

Viggo Mortenson

I forget the other one...I mentioned Josh Brolin to look the part...at least his look in True Grit...not the character of course...

Who else do you guys think would make a good Roland? Or others?

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I think Viggo over Jack anyday of the week. Even he really dosent seem to fit much though.

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    At the end of 7, I was expecting Roland to have Danville draw him with all his fingers, followed by an epic battle with the Crimson King. Spider-boy's death was a bit disappointing too, when you consider how he completely owned the man in black.

Can't wait for the movies and tv series,

Aside from Roland who we can't seem to cast, how about:

Eddie: Josh Hartnett? Peter Petrelli?

Odetta: I guess the obvious choice would be Mrs Will Smith, but could she not be slightly too old for the role now?

Jake: That's a tough one to cast cos of his age...

Flagg: John Malkovich maybe? Jeremy Irons?

5. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Id pick Irons over John even though I think he is the better actor.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Ron Howard says the series is in development but isn't sure if it's going to be made.

Sounds like they're backtracking and saying the miniseries would be 6 hours long, so about 4 hours of actual screen time.

This would be awesome if they could do it but I won't hold my breath.

7. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Go figure they promise us something and then back out of it...

8. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I think some sort of weird love child of these two would be the best possible choice.

I know we don't really know what Flagg looks like but I think he seems to suit. Irons purely for his eyes which scream villain and his voice which I think would suit (the cackle)

9. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    According to the latest edition of Odeon's magazine, Javier Bardem has been cast as Roland.

While I loved his performance in No Country for Old Men, I would never picture this medium-height, slightly round-faced guy as the distinctly Eastwood-esque Roland Deschain.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that, I think he has potential. I've only seen him in the above-mentioned movie but after googling a bit I think he doesn't look too bad. I wasn't questioning the guy's ability, just the look...

10. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Last I heard this may not happen because they don't want to fund it?

11. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    IMDB lists Javier's role in the Dark Tower as 'announced' so who knows?

Then there's this from the Belfast Telegraph just a few days ago > http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/news/bardem-interested-in-dark-tower-16004162.html

The things I've read putting a downer on the project come from early May, so mayhaps things have changed?

12. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    New Dark Tower novel:

Horror author Stephen King is set to return to the world of his bestselling fantasy series, the Dark Tower books, in a new novel out next year.

Just acquired by UK publisher Hodder & Stoughton, The Wind Through the Keyhole is set between the fourth and fifth books in the Dark Tower series, and addresses the "hole in the narrative progression", as King himself put it, between "what happened to Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah, and Oy [when] they leave the Emerald City (the end of Wizard and Glass) and the time we pick them up again, on the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis (the beginning of Wolves of the Calla)".

Hodder will publish the novel, which King said was shorter than the 700-plus paged final books in the series, but "quite a bit longer" than the 300- paged first volume, next spring. His UK editor, Philippa Pride, said it would be a "wonderful reunion" for current fans of the series, while "for readers who have yet to embark, it is a delightful way into the series as the novel stands perfectly alone ? a story within a story ? and features both the older Roland and the younger".

King revealed that he started thinking ? "and dreaming" ? about Mid-World, where the books are set, while he was "worrying over the copyedited manuscript" of his next book 11/22/63, which involves time travel and JFK.

"There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape," he said. "I saw a line of riders, one of them Roland's old mate, Jamie DeCurry, emerging from clouds of alkali dust thrown by a high wind. I saw a severed head on a fencepost. I saw a swamp full of dangers and terrors. I saw just enough to want to see the rest. Long story short, I went back to visit an-tet with my friends for a while. The result is a novel called The Wind Through the Keyhole ... Call this one DT-4.5. It's not going to change anybody's life, but God, I had fun."

King's agent, Chuck Verill, said the book was "fabulous, and should be wholly satisfying to both Dark Tower cognoscenti and newcomers who are bound to be drawn in".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.