main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Dark Tower

Discussion in 'Community' started by James T Kirk, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Gegging and failing.

F

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Using meaningless words like "gegging"

F-

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you for identifying the other name.

My first Dark Tower novel is too far back in my book collection for me to easily excavate, so I cannot counter from a position of authority; however I distinctly recall being confused when the second book said Stephen King on it, because my first one, purchased three years previously, did not.

4. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ender Sai and Hogarth Wrightson like this.
  6. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

Ya Jabba's smokin' something real special...

If you made it to book six you were only one away from finishing. King did write an eight book after the conclusion to the series, but it is set between four and five, but you don't need to read it to finish the series.

Personally I feel like the series suffered from odd pacing after the third book. There'd be moments where I would feel like I was losing interest, then moments that brought me back, this was always the case at the end of the books, they always made me want to know what happened next. I would recommend finishing it as, in my humblest of opinions, the ending of this series is one of the best series endings out there.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

If you've read this anthology, you'll realize it was C.S. Lewis who was likely smoking something real special.

Ender Sai and James T Kirk like this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    The Dark Tower was the sort of thing you wedged under an aeroplane's wheels if a chuck was not available. It would not have fitted into an anthology. That thing by C. S. Lewis must have been a different tower.

9. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    https://www.yahoo.com/movies/stephen-king-reacts-idris-elba-033851825.html

King, who actually appeared in the Dark Tower novels (they get weirdly meta at one point, but it's really good), tweeted yesterday without using Elba's name that "To me, the color of the gunslinger doesn't matter."
    To me, the color of the gunslinger doesn't matter. What I care about is how fast he can draw...and that he takes care of the ka-tet.
    — Stephen King (@StephenKing) December 12, 2015
    That's probably as good an endorsement as King is allowed to make, since typically you're not supposed to talk about the $200 million movie that's about to go into production based on your books.

Jedi Ben and James T Kirk like this.
  10. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    did anyone read the dark tower graphic novel?

i really loved the look of that but couldn't keep up with it and then learned it had finished.

it told the story of roland's early life, i think. like, before he meets susan in ... wherever it is that she lives.

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Will the tall knight be in it?

12. James T Kirk

Apr 22, 2015

I read the first three but volumes collect in TPB, but ya I kinda experienced the same thing; I liked the look but never got around to finishing the series. Maybe one day.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Elba, goddamnit! Hopefully they get to use him a lot in Thor 3 and this one. Moar Elba is more awesome!

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Err...yeah, I'm pretty sure he'll be used alot in this one.

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. James T Kirk

Apr 22, 2015
    Interestingly, they have apparently decided to start in the middle of the story (or closer to). I think a nonlinear approach could work well for this adaptation; if they decide to reveal the previous parts of the story slowly as they progress it could make for some good intrigue and mystery for non-readers. King seems to like what they have so far! Can't wait to see who they cast as Eddie.

17. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    the dork towel

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, more interested in this now with that casting. I can see Idris having a ball with lines like 'you have forgotten the face of your father'.

The first five, with David, Lee and Isanove make for a good set. After that I didn't follow it.

19. James T Kirk

Apr 22, 2015
    Not really surprising but Aaron Paul still rumoured to play the role of Eddie. I think his name has been linked to this project the longest, and based on his responses to questions, his self-expressed desire to be involved and now the "cute" tweets between he and King, I think it's a safe bet that it's more than a rumour. Good job casting thus far!

20. James T Kirk

Apr 22, 2015
    Jackie Earle Kaley cast as Richard Sayre, another solid casting decision!

Crazy how, even just a couple months ago Stephen King was dubious as to whether it would actually come to fruition, and now they have officially begun filming!

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  22. James T Kirk

Apr 22, 2015
  23. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Interesting casting so far, but should still be good as long as the writing is done well and it follows the book closely (no matter at which point they start at).

I look forward to it! Been a Dark Tower fan for years!

James T Kirk likes this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    The books definitely took on a new life when I started to spot things from other King' series.

I think the Salems Lot references were first, but I was only familiar with the David Soul film, so missed them; the first things I detected were references to The Stand, Captain Flu(?) appearing in an old newspaper, then I went online to investigate, see if there was something going on, or it was just my imagination.

James T Kirk likes this.
  25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013