main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Dark Tower

Discussion in 'Community' started by James T Kirk, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Wooohooo DT thread.... We'll see how the movies turn out but the books are absolutely amazing. One of the most unique works of fiction I've ever read. You want something original (and awesome)? Read the Dark Tower

James T Kirk likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I like the series, but I got to say that The Gunslinger is one of my all-time favorite books. It's the perfect blend between fantasy, post-apocalyptic fiction and Spaghetti Western. I'm sad to see that the film seems to skip most of that book.
    The film looks decent enough I suppose, but the trailer is really missing the spaghetti western feeling (even though they borrowed the music from For a Few Dollars More).

Oh well, as it's another turn of the wheel, it's probably a good thing that the film is very different from the books.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I haven't read the books, but the movie looks awfully generic.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Love the books and will repeat that each one should have been a season of a series.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The Rest Of The Internet seems to have reached consensus that it looks like a Last Action Hero reboot.

I'm inclined to agree.

6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I've been looking forward to this one for a long time. But after seeing the trailer, I think I may skip this one.

7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

What makes you not want to see it?

8. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    It just looks too fake. It seems to trade style for substance. It just doesn't seem to have the feel of the books. I'm not too fond of the casting they did. It just strays way too far from the books. Granted, I'm just going by the trailer, but so far, I'm not impressed.

9. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Ah.

I liked the trailer, but I understand your feeling about the casting. Some of it did seem almost, mmm.....forced. But I tend to chalk it up to trailers giving brief snippets of things.

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I'm going to try to read the series, but I haven't found the first book yet.

11. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    True, and I probably should give it a chance. I'm still up in the air about it I suppose.

12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    For this year's Jurassic World Award, I'm going to declare Dark Tower the biggest flop of summer 2017, followed by the King Arthur movie and The Mummy.

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The biggest problem with the trailer is that it didn't give a sense of Roland's world, where once great civilisations are in decline. I think the casting is fine, but the shots of Roland in contemporary America facing off against guys with machine guns make it look very generic. There just wasn't enough weirdness.

That said, the trailer did enough to interest me. I'll keep an eye out for the reviews in the hope they'll be favourable.

SWpants likes this.
  14. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003

Brave statement. Most people would have thrown in Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, but you obviously have faith in the selling power of Dane Dehaan and Cara Delevingne. Bravo, sir. This should be interesting.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The trailer for Valerian makes it look similar to, and potentially as bad as Cloud Atlas or Jupiter Ascending, but the fact of the matter is, Luc Besson is not a Wachowski sibling. He has his very own unique set of fatal flaws as a filmmaker.

16. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm actually hoping it will be good. I'd like it to be good. I want to like Cara Delevingne as an actress, I'd like to see an interesting, non-cookie-cutter actor like DeHaan make it in an action-hero role, and I'd like to see Europe prove it can make films as big, commercial, and stupid as Hollywood. But I worry that Besson's best days are behind him and that he's forgotten how to tell a story.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    "Fathom Events" is doing a one day special 20th anniversary screening of The Fifth Element in selected theaters. I'm not sure this is a classic worthy of a special 20th anniversary screening in selected theaters, but if Valerian could be as good as Fifth Element it would likely make some money.

soitscometothis likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Pirates 5

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I wish. but PotC 5 is going to exceed expectations at the box office. Sad, but true. Johnny Depp is now even more a spectacle that he's become a Nicolas Cage style story of profligacy.

Like everyone here I admire Nicolas Cage more than almost any man alive, but Cage never owned an island.

20. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    FWIW I read the leaked script (from 2014) for the Dark Tower and it was pretty good (this is coming from a huge fan of the books who's read the series several times). If they are indeed basing it on that draft (which did need some work and tightening up) I think the film could actually be quite good.

If they do follow that script the film does start Roland in Tull and include the slaughter that happens there (including the lead up) .... I can't think of a better way to introduce Roland and his world

Given how much I love the series I'm going to watch the film and try to keep an open mind.

SWpants likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Idris Elba and Matthew McConoughey squaring off in a fantasy / horror / sci-fi influenced Western is the biggest selling point for me. I love genre mash ups. I means, this a Star Wars board after all.

PCCViking likes this.
  22. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

The source material is one of the most insane genre mash-ups I have ever encountered.... .it's just very unique

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I think the Problem Is there trying to cram 7 books into 1 movie:( I am in the middle of book three and I can already tell the movie looks horrible. Where Is Eddie Dean, Where Is Detta Walker? and why Is the scene where Jake goes through to the other side through a haunted house in the first movie when it happens in the third book. Also the story isn't the fate of the earth vs the Dark Tower/Man In Black its so much bigger then that, much bigger.

24. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

I won't spoil anything... but you'll understand how the adaptation can be different and still make sense once you finish the series :)

25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I kind Of guessed the ending, Gunslinger gets to the dark tower and the story starts over from the beginning? My dad wont tell me but just gives me a wry smile I just get this Buddhist Reincarnation feel from the books so far and am good at figuring things out, I can be clever!

@Rylo Ken
    I love the Pirates of the Caribbean I even liked the last two! I am seeing Pirates 5 with my sister and my Nephew at Disney Springs at the AMC dine In theater, I am getting me a Cheese Steak they looked pretty good last time I went there but I opted for a Popcorn, Vanilla Coke, and Loaded Nachos! After the movie we are Shopping!