main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Darth Bane trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Oct 13, 2013.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Imperials are public-serving, thank you.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Does it not scream Casey Jones to you, though?

It does me.

"ALL LIGHTSIDERS MUST PAY THE PRICE!"

MrDarth0 likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Holocron of Bane seen in Legacy, makes the helmet look a bit better:

[​IMG]

Mia Mesharad, Gamiel and spicer like this.
  4. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I love the orbalisk armor idea and how they feed on the dark side and Bane feeds on them. The intro to the trilogy,POD, is probably my favorite EU material I've read. It came with such a great lead character in Dessel and great heart felt writing. The last 2 of the trilogy I felt were a bit lazy and should have been longer and more indepth. I still like the trilogy as a whole but felt it fell short in the end.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. LBT-00

LBT-00 Jedi Knight

Jan 7, 2016
    Just finished the trilogy. It was fine. Only thing that bugs me is that the Jedi were not very thorough in their search of Caleb's camp. Come on, someone must've at least have a thought to search the hut top to bottom.

Padawan: Master shouldn't we search the hut? maybe there's something important there. I feel something disturbing in the force.
    Master Tho'natu: No way. Besides what do you expect to find there anyway: a Sith cowering in a secret hatch, suspiciously covered by a blanket. That trick stopped working in Revan's time, my boy, besides I would've felt them in the force. As for that disturbance, it was probably that healer chopped to chunks. Made my stomach turn as well.
    Padawan: Well there was a mat ....

Gamiel likes this.
  6. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Why?

If they didn't sense anything why look?

They just fought and killed a Sith (as far as they knew), they also remembered the war, Sith only hid to ambush. No ambush, no sense of the dark siders. So why look?

7. LBT-00

LBT-00 Jedi Knight

Jan 7, 2016
    Well a thorough search can't really do any harm

Gamiel likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What about holocrones, books, artefacts and other stuff that you don't always easy sense in the Force, like a sith cloaking her presence?

9. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

Books and artefacts aren't people, aren't living creatures. Besides how common are Sith hiding themselves? The war was only ten years ago, most Jedi remember the Sith, how they fought, acted.

Don't forget the reason the Jedi lost is that they expected the Sith to act like they did before.

Or maybe Sith magic clouded the Jedi's minds.

10. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    If I recall, there was a Sith "magic" component to them not investigating further, which is pretty dimwitted--negelent even--of the Jedi. I think it played on the Jedi's desperation to find the last Sith Lord. Or something like that.

11. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    About to start Rule of Two. Path of Destruction is a hard act to follow so I can imagine Drew having the same struggles Kershner had when making Empire.

12. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    It is a good trilogy. Path of Destruction is the best of the books with some flaws and has more depth compared to the other two. With Path of Destruction, you are following Bane's rise and short comings as a student to power. By Rule of Two, he has become more arrogant and complacent, while ignoring what he had learned from Path of Destruction. By Dynasty of Evil he started to become thoughtful, but he was more concentrated on other thoughts to be mindful of his surroundings. He broke one of his own rules. I agree, RoT is the weakest of the trilogy.

13. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I never understood why some people take issue with showing Jedi and Sith being far more powerful in their prime, both with the the Force and the saber. I suppose it's due to the OT, but the reason why Vader, Yoda, Luke, Obi-Wan, and Sidious didn't due the amount of powerful things done in the EU was because the OT was a time in the Star Wars universe in which very few Jedi or Sith were active. The old were weakened or broken. Perhaps even both. It's the "tip of the iceberg" feeling in the OT that makes things like KotOR, Tales of the Jedi and New Jedi Order feel so satisfying.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

Welcome to the Jedi Council Forums, everybody!

The place that will give you an urge to look up fan art of Darth Bane destroying kitchen appliances with a lightsaber. :p

15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I would second this even now. I would like to see more of the war and the Sith forces. I loved the feel of it as a barely organised force taking on and beating the the well organised Republic (though I guess some of that was the Sith force users). I felt it was a nice reversal of the OT.

Sudooku likes this.
  16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

I loved a lot of the scenes involving the infighting beween the Jedi like Lord Hoth and Valenthyne Farfalla. I feel that he captured the misery of the battles of Ruusan quite well.

Revanfan1 and AusStig like this.
  17. LuckyGungan20001

LuckyGungan20001 Jedi Knight

May 14, 2016
    Apologies for the bump, I didn’t think this warrants a new thread, but I recently read Path of Destruction and Rule of Two, and I really enjoyed them both. I wouldn’t say they are works of art, but they are some of the best EU I’ve read. Rule of Two in particular I loved, due to the characters of Johun and Zannah, who were really interesting. So yeah, my two cents on the whole thing.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Isley_27 like this.
  18. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Johun was my favorite character in the book. Very QuiGon-esque guy

19. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I'm rereading them right now (First read them before I joined the boards).
    I really like them. I'm not really a big EU buff (No where near as devoted as some on this side of the forums), but these are definitely in my top ten of the old EU. I love both eras its set in, and I like how it creates a seamless transition from the old republic era to what will become the prequel era.

My favorite parts of the trilogy are the ones that focus on the Jedi and their perspective, but of course naturally I find the dynamic between Bane and Zannah interesting as well.
    I like Farfalla and Johunn. It's cool how they took the 'Dandy' character from the comic, and while keeping much of his more flamboyant attributes, also created someone who was easily believable to be a wise Jedi master.
    I liked how he seems to perk up simply by being on the Capital. This is definitely and Individual to whom the Core worlds would appeal. 'Looks Matter on Coruscant' Indeed.[face_laugh]

I liked the glances we got at the politic of the matter, though this is also where I am somewhat disheartened. I know this book was primarily about Bane and his rule of two, so this isn't a complaint about this series, more like a lost opportunity for the Old EU. I just wish we could have gotten more of that perspective. This was a Thousand Year War, it couldn't have been wiped away over night, and I would have liked to have seen more of its aftershock and how the Jedi and Republic dealt with it. What was it like for the survivors? Surely many had series PTSD after all that. I liked Johunns perspective because it gave us a character who had a hard time coming to terms with the fact that the war was over.
    And After regressing so much technologywise on the rim, how did they build up from that to create the GFFA we recognized in TPM? It's just so interesting to think about.

Besides that Cognus was a cool character as well, I like how they integrated her from her own story into here. It would have been cool to see more of her own adventures, as well as that of her successors.:)

Iron_lord and Sudooku like this.
  20. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Yeah I agree How it's cool to see the Jedi and their perspective. And we learn how the Jedi screwed up big time by surrending their order to a government.

Bane and Zannah shows how crazy the rule of 2 is. Both of them were overly paranoid. It really gives you insight on the Sith and their deep fear. And yeah I loved Farfalla. He seems to be the only Jedi with a care for flair. What was super cool about him is that despite being materialistic, he didn't let any of it consume him whatsoever.

21. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    While I attest to being a completist in these sort of things - I never got around to Karpyshyn's novels.
    I was always put off my a somewhat magical element that seemed distinctly un-Star Wars like.

Any summary opinions for you all to offer?

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I mean, the magical element isn't what's distinctly un-Star Wars. Magic is part of the fabric of Star Wars.

PoD's specific brand of DnD magic, where a character "[Turns] and cast Force stasis", on the other hand? Yeah, maybe. It's a mixed bag in that regard, though. Drew's the only author I remember off the top of my head who goes into the details of what's going on in the Force "behind the scenes" during lightsaber duels, which -- for all that I might fault a lot of the rest -- I really appreciated.

The trilogy is definitely more fantasy than science fiction, though.

If you've played KotOR and didn't enjoy the Sith Academy on Korriban, however, you're probably going to have a bad time.

Sudooku and CT-867-5309 like this.
  23. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    That's a lucid explanation - interesting reference to KotOR, that makes it seem more curious.

I'd qualify my statements on magic as much as you have - it is more the fantasy element with I have greater reservation.
    I suppose I've always preferred philosophical rather than 'magical' explanations for the Force - and there is a substantive difference, I think.

It is also, I suppose, a series that hones in very tightly onto one character arc, and thus lacks that sweeping, operatic nature which was evident in the post-ROTJ novel continuity.

Ulicus likes this.
  24. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017

25. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    The Bane series is one of my favorites of the EU. As stated before, the rule of two, the orbalisk armor, the mistrust between the two. I thought it was brilliant. The development of Bane into a sith was fantastic.

Sudooku likes this.