main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Darth Bane trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Now I read the second Book "Rule of the Two". It is nice to read that you can bring up and train an apprentice also in another way than Sidious did with Maul who was probably not even destined to become Sidious' heir to the Sith-Throne. While Zannah was treated so much better without any abuse or torture. And she was even allowed to have a lover - at least if she did it discreetly without her feelings interfering Bane's plans.;) Maybe Bane just didn't care about that aspect. Or he expected her to use her femal devices to reach the aims he set out for her.

DarthJenari and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Rou-eru

Rou-eru Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    This trilogy was my introduction into the EU and I loved it.

Revanfan1, DarthJenari and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Thing is... PoD portrays the Brotherhood as rather competent and on the cusp of victory over the Jedi (the Army of Light, at least). They are far from a "company in trouble". Bane keeps insisting that they're stupid... but whatever they're doing is actually, y'know, working.

And, from the reader's perspective, Kaan is a total BAMF basically mind-controlling all his "equals" into doing whatever he wants. So Bane's beef with the Brotherhood isn't even legitimate. He's just not in the loop.

The only reason they end up in trouble is because Bane deliberately sabotages their blockade and destroys them from within so the Sith'ari prophecy can be shoehorned in. If he'd just stayed in line, there'd have been no need to go into hiding and he could have just killed his way to the top of the next Sith Empire.

Contrast this with the JvS. take on the Brotherhood, in which a bunch of genuinely daft Sith actually wind up destroying themselves without Bane really needing to lift a finger. Proving him right.

JediDingo and darklordoftech like this.
  4. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I just read the fate of Hetton in "Rule of the Two". Serenno seems to be full of old fading apprentices. ;) Actually I thought that Zannah would bring Hetton to adopt her as his child officially that she may kill him later and bring Bane into the palace inherited by her. But only if Bane will not destroy it by his effortless tries to build his own personal holochrone, of course ;)

It would be also very interesting, what would happen, when Bane would put some of the Orbalisk-bugs into the Jedi-Temple instead of sealing the chamber of Freedon Nadd's tomb forever once again. Would the Orbalisks feed themselves from Jedi too? Would this be the doom of Jedi-Temple without any ransacking, laying fire or other blunt destruction? Or are Jedi to less dark for the Orbalisks to survive?

The only thing, I don't understand in Path of Destruction: Even after Bane had destroyed Kaan's Brotherhood of Darkness, were there no other Sith in the Empire around beside Bane and later Zannah? No Emperor left who could deal with the rebellish Bane? Did the Brotherhood had their own state at Korriban in the end? I just can't believe it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    BAMF?
    [​IMG]
    What do chibi Nightcrawler have to do with Kaan?

6. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Kaan's group didn't have an Emperor. I don't even recall if they called it an Empire. Basically Kaan was the top dog there, no matter what he told the other Lords.

7. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    So ceased the Sith-Empire to exist before Bane showed up? And the brotherhood of Darkness was just on their own in the fight against the republic?

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Brotherhood of Darkness is the Sith Empire (although with a new name).

Sudooku and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - a young Jedi Master named Kaan led a force into the many little Sith Empires depicted in Knight Errant, conquered them - then returned to the Republic at the head of an army of Sith.

10. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    I love these books and really wish they were films....fans of Jedi Vs. Sith tell me otherwise, so I'll give their opinion a chance...just ordered the 6 issues off ebay and I'll read them as soon as I get them...I'll let you all know what I think after the read...

Sudooku likes this.
  11. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I agree that Drew K has limits. PoD was fantastic, but his limitations came out more in the second book. And Reven was so very disappointing. That being said, I really liked the Bane Trilogy overall. The Jedi vs. Sith comic...I liked it. But it was just...OK. Not really sure why so many gripe about the contradictions and love that story. It was pretty cheesy, IMO. And also...I wasn't a cannon-thumper pre-Disney. But especially now, who cares if the two stories don't match up perfectly. Close enough.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    IMO POD contradicting JvS is just as bad as the Legends announcement.

Sanguinius likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Dramatic, much? :p

DarthStymi and Dante1120 like this.
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Nope.

Sanguinius and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    casual necroposting has always been a thing on the jcf yo, it's part of its charm

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't read the book when it came out for like a month. Was bummed that Plagueis was cancelled.
    Read it later on and enjoyed it a lot.
    Excited for Rule of 2 but didn't really compare.
    DOE was about the same as RO2 imo.
    Really should read the trilogy again.

17. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    you should stop being a pleb and read JvS instead

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Get it for me.

19. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Umm, I don't think so. PoD shows how the Brotherhood functions, and that they're actually earning victories within the war itself, but that's no different than any other source, and would logically have to be true for the war to have lasted this long at all. Beyond that, it really doesn't portray the Broterhood was being super-competent, or dominating the Army of Light. They have victories, and losses, which is what led to the situation where students were promoted to Lords and called to Ruusan, because they were low on men. Bane doesn't insist that they have no concept of military strategy, or that they're not achieving victories here or there. He insists that they've turned their backs on the old ways, and that the Brotherhood is a perversion of the natural Order.

Even, i'd say this becomes clear with the "equality" Kaan preaches, where he constantly has to exert hsi mental force abilities to keep the group from splintering apart, and falling into warring factions again. All that really does is prove Bane's point that equality is a lie. Bane's beef with the Brotherhood is an ideological difference over how the Sith should conduct themselves. Doesn't really have anything to do with being in the loop, as he demonstrates being aware of Kaan's main point of them all being equals, and again despises the heck out of that idea.

They were already in trouble, which is again why they'd called all of their most promising students to Ruusan to back them up. Their numbers were dwindling, and at best it was a stalemate that would've continued to lessen the numbers on both sides. Bane did make the situation worse, and tip the scales further in the Army of Light's favor, but it again wasn't as if Kaan was being overwhelmingly successful to begin with.

The thing with Jedi vs Sith is that the Brotherhood weren't written any differently than they were in PoD. There are slight differences, such as Kaan coming up with the Thought Bomb (Which is implied to have sprung from Bane's earlier ritual) but the way the group conducts itself doesn't change. If anything, PoD expanded on what was in Jedi vs Sith, by going further into the thoughts of the characters, and touching on where various characters were beforehand. Being a longer work, this is to be expected, as it's able and required to tell a more detailed story. Jedi vs Sith is bare bones in comparison.

RKR, Ulicus , Riv_Shiel and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Fair enough (probably). I've not read the thing in several years and I'm still working off my half-remembered original impression.

In the future I'll stick to being irritated at Bane's implied history with Kaan being thrown out of the window, instead. :p

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Look, Hav's legged it, so someone must take up the mantle of Perpetually Pissed At Karpyshyn.

Uli is clearly qualified for it!

22. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Just got done reading the Jedi vs. Sith comic arc and all I have to say is....all you people saying this is better than Path of Destruction are INSANE...Path of Destruction is like the Academy Award winning Return of the King while this comic is like the 1980 cartoon of Return of the King...there's no comparison here....however I am grateful for the comic for giving the author the inspiration to write POD. I'll keep it as a sort of "bonus feature."

RKR, DarthJenari and Stymi like this.
  23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Actually, hold up. I wasn't paying enough attention. :p

In JvS, the implication is not that the Brotherhood have been leading the fight against the Jedi for years -- which, yes, would require them to be at least moderately competent-- but that they were born from a very recent coup. So recent that Bane (implied to be one of the victims of said coup) is baffled and offended when he comes back and hears that Kaan is now Lord Kaan.

"Lord Kaan? Kaan calls himself a Lord?"

"Is EVERYONE a Lord, now!?"

Now, sure, perhaps you can argue that this is "only" implication. But the fact that Drew chose to replace the above dialogue when he wrote his own version of the same scene suggests he understood the extent to which it contradicted his own story.

Jedi Ben -- No. Taken on its own merits I'm actually rather fond of PoD.

24. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

I don't think that implies what you think it does. [face_thinking]

I don't think that either sources contradict the other on just how long Kaan's group has been fighting the Jedi, but that its generally taken to be a few years, given the fact that both armies are clearly tired from the conflict; and other sources that then go more in-depth back this up, by presenting more facts about the conclict. Based on the old timeline, Kaan organized his group in 1010 BBY, and they then fell in 1001. That's information that's not outright stated in either JvS or PoD, so you certainly can't place any blame for that on Karpyshan. Bane's statement also wasn't really connected to any aspect of time. The claim of Kaan and everyone else being Lord's is what he was incredulous act, being that he again saw it and the idea of all of them being equal as silly, thus none of them were real lords in his eyes.

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Didn't the sources establishing that timeline come after PoD?

I don't think the "tiredness" of the forces means anything, either: the Brotherhood would still be made up of people who'd been fighting the Jedi for years, even had it only been formed a week previously.

Though, FWIW, if I were going to "blame" anyone it'd be the editors, not Karpyshyn.

It is, though. Bane's surprised to hear Kaan addressed as Lord, and then even more surprised when the dude lying in the mud refers to himself as one, too.

It's just like:

It doesn't fit with PoD... so it was changed in PoD.

darklordoftech likes this.