main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Darth Bane trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    Who, me? Nah, newcomer. Did I do something that warranted that question? LOL

2. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Yes, Zannah actually won. There was some degree to which a small part of Bane's essence imprinted on her - how much so, that was meant to be ambiguous. But the being who identifies herself as Darth Zannah at the end of the novel is Zannah; Bane's attempt at spirit transferrence failed completely.

I used to like to think that just enough of Bane's essence clung to her as a sort of parasite, becoming a sort of voice in her head that acted as her guide (as well as giving her all of his power and knowledge), and this tradition continued all the way up until and including Palpatine - thus meaning he genuinely has 1,000 years of Sith knowledge and power in his head - but now that Luceno introduced Gravid sabotaging essence transfer, there's not really any point in or need for that interpretation.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, nothing to be concerned with - just that saying 'author X says Y on story they did' might not have the effect you expect! ;)

rickyjr7306 likes this.
  4. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Is there any novels on the Sith lords post Bane era, and pre Plagueis? Because on the novel timeline I don't see any books associated with the Sith post Bane before it gets to Plagueis.

Some of the posters on this forum know so much about everything Star Wars that it makes me feel like a lousy Star Wars fan; and I'd like to assume I am a knowledgeable SW fan :(

5. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    Unfortunately not. Do you have a specific interest in the Sith Lords, then?

And every fan starts somewhere. ;) Knowledge of EU minutiae does not a fan make.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, don't worry, none of us can know everything, not even Iron Lord.

Unfortunately there's comparatively little in the era you've outlined, would suggest you check out the Knight Errant book and comics though, along with Lost Tribe of the Sith omnibus.

rickyjr7306 likes this.
  7. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Yeah I like reading about Sith lords. The only Sith books I have is Darth Bane trilogy, Lost Tribe of the Sith collection stories, Darth Plagueise, Dark Lord, and Deceived(Malgus book). It's just that some guys on here know a lot about Sith lords while there are no novels on them. There may be comics, but I'm not into comics, just novels.

I am going to get the Knight Errant novel. Is the novel the collection of all comics? And I have Lost Tribe of the Sith Collection Stories, is there any difference between that and the Omnibus?

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, collection = Omnibus, but there is a comic called Spiral that's set afterwards.

As to KE, the novel is separate to the comics, collected in 3 trades, if you can find them.

rickyjr7306 likes this.
  9. Lanoree

Lanoree Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2015
    I was hoping that Bane survived his essence transfer all the way to the ugly end. I don't usually go in much for the Sith but Bane was fast becoming one of my favorite characters, besides Plagueis. Since the author said that something of bane had survived, however insignificant, I wonder if that influence could grow over time and take over, like a character from a totally different series, St. Alia of the Knife who eventually becomes overtaken and possessed by her grandfather's "essence" or memories.

I'm a brand new reader of the EU books so if that sounds naive, well, I haven't read widely enough in the universe yet.

Sudooku, Darth_Dreadwar and mes520 like this.
  10. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    It's not naive at all. In fact, the idea of an imprint or some small part of a Sith Lord's essence burgeoning into a powerful thing capable of possessing has some precedent if you consider the gatekeeper of Darth Rivan's holocron, which to me seemed well on its way to becoming Rivan reborn.

Lanoree likes this.
  11. jedi_samuel

jedi_samuel Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    [quote]The second odd assumption you have to make to think Bane destroyed Zannah is to assume that you are dealing with an unreliable narrator. Once Zannah identifies herself, I refer to her as “her” and “Zannah” throughout the scene. To believe Bane took over, you have to assume that I am intentionally misleading you throughout that scene for a cheap GOTCHA moment at the end. [/quote]

Here's where I think Karpy misses the point. You don't have to assume so much as read the few words left in the book, and wonder if a Sith Lord is being deceptive to their new apprentice...

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Agreed. Consider this passage:

The woman on the ground shifted, her eyes fluttering open as she rose slowly to her feet. She moved awkwardly and couldn't seem to stand up straight, as if she was unfamiliar with how her own limbs and muscles worked... though this could simply have been the result of exhaustion from the battle.

YeahOkayCool, Ulicus and Iron_lord like this.
  13. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015
    My favorite part of this trilogy was how well structured it was. There were no wasted moments in the books and what we did get was a very fun story. That said, some of the logic in the second book was downright bizarre and the writing isn't the prettiest. Overall thought I really liked them.

14. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Actually I was wondering why Zannah in the "Dynasty of Evil" was so eager to get this Dark Jedi Set Harth as her apprentice. It was clearly obvious that he was a kind of bonvivant who doesn't care about the Grand Plan of the Sith. At the beginning of their encounter I was rather supposing Zannah to make him her second part-time-lover after that Kel'adden in "Rule of the Two".

15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The Darth Bane/Darth Zannah Trilogy really helps us to understand how these Sith Lords think. In some ways, it's a twisted cult. One of my sister-figures called the system "cannibalistic" for its prescription that an apprentice must slay the master to assume her or his mantle. That's precisely what it is, and that's why Bane came up with the diktat of "one master, one apprentice." It's individualistic to the point of megalomania, but it's the closest to Sith doctrine. Darth Krayt's Sith Order strayed away from this individualism. The Order of the Sith Lords followed the individualism inherent in the Sith Code. That's part of why they were so devastatingly powerful. I certainly wouldn't regard it as a positive, healthy example. But one can analyze Bane and Zannah to discern how the Order began and became one of the stealthiest and most lethal threats in all of Star Wars.

16. Lanoree

Feb 6, 2015

I think Zannah chose him because she didn't have time to look for a more suitable apprentice. had she met The Huntress before him I think she wouldn't have bothered with him. While I was reading this i was shaking my head thinking: "Bad choice, Zannah. He's not Sith material." I think she had misgivings about him anyway. He didn't have respect for the way things are done among the Sith. He was a dark jedi through and through (at least in that book) only concerned with his immediate personal desires.

17. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I have always wondered if Karpyshyn's prose weaknesses is somewhat indicative of his experience as a game writer. His work on Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and the first two Mass Effect games demonstrates he has narrative ability, but does this translate to prose fiction? For a script the writer is providing a spine for the designers, voice actors, and so forth to build onto the foundation. I would not have known Karen Traviss wrote Gears of War 3 except for the first person monologue and a few snarkier than normal lines. Concurrently, Mass Effect 2 is a collaboration script for Karpyshyn, allowing ideas to be bounced off the co-writer. The Darth Bane Trilogy's simplistic writing (I enjoyed the novels, but I do not rate them at the top of the not-canon) may be used as an example of how one writer can excel in one medium while be lacking in another. :confused:

Darth_Dreadwar and jedi_samuel like this.
  18. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I've begun listening to the audio of the first book. After how clunky I found the prose in Revan, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this.

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I didn't think this was even an open question, honestly. It's obvious Karpyshyn's novels suffer from his background in game writing, both in prose terms and in the sense that he's not really that good without a team of collaborators.

20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I did read the first book, I was quite impressed by it. It gave a good background of Bane and made me even sympathize with him for a bit. The fact that he wasn't totally invincible and could lose made it more interesting in how his character developed.

Lanoree and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hi CY,

then read the third book. There you'll see how much more Bane can even loose.[face_not_talking]

22. jedi_samuel

jedi_samuel Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    Agreed with everything here. Except my favorite part wasn't necessarily the structure. Karpyshyn has some really good character ideas as well as ideas about the force, even if it's not always executed flawlessly. Definitely a fun and at times very interesting read. I think I've read about 20 star wars books by now, and Karpyshyn stands out as his own author with his own place in Star Wars, even if he's not as good a writer as, say, Luceno.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Lanoree

Feb 6, 2015
    I have the Darth Bane trilogy audio books and found them riveting from beginning to end. I do like Luceno a little more but Karpyshyn can weave a good story.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Just finished listening to Book 1. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next two!

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'll also note that with game writing, it's easier to plunk down a lot of cliches as a base and let the gameplay, the dialogue writers, the visuals, the voice actors, the collaborators who can put a little twist on it -- all the rest of the package -- elevate it. You can't get away with that as much in prose.

Revanfan1 and Darth_Dreadwar like this.