main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Darth Maul Cameo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth_Voider, May 23, 2018.

1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    It is, as long as they don't venture into parody, which I think they have done resurrecting Darth Maul. You almost expect some of that cliched dialogue to go with it

"MAUL!! I thought you were..."
    "Dead? Yes, and I would have been if not for my cybernetic legs. You, however, will not be so fortunate!! Prepare to die!"

2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    OK how about this. Snoke woke up, used Mechu Deru force power on his dead guards (already technobeasts?) to create himself new legs with which he was able to get to another escape pod and rendezvous with an undamaged ship.

That was far less explanation than Maul's survival required in the NEU, and far more believable for me.

I'm expecting Snoke to come back in EpIX. What else can JJ Abrams do? Transform him into a huge technoSnoke I say. Then kill him properly.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well they have set maul up as a crime lord, which means he could appear in any of the spin offs. and they kinda have expressed interest in the underworld stuff with star wars.

Although makes you wonder what would happen if tomorrow they green lit a Han Solo sequel and we found out boba fett, Jabba and Maul were gonna be involved... would all these things together still have a lack of interest?

4. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Maul surviving but falling off of everyone's radar (including his own) except for Talzin's threw a wrench into the whole thing, I'm afraid. Maul pretty much considered he and Savage to be the Sith Master and Apprentice during the Clone Wars, but Sidious had replaced Maul with Dooku and didn't consider the former to be his apprentice or a Sith anymore.

After the war, Maul has completely abandonned the Sith though, so it's no longer a problem. Note how Ray Park and Sam Witwer aren't credited as "Darth Maul" but just "Maul".

5. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I guess that works to some extent, but for how dogmatic and extremist the sith are that seems very soft on Maul from Sidious point of view. One would expect Sidious to kill Maul.

kalzeth likes this.
  6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i didn't see what happened to Jack in Titanic either when he sunk underwater, but i've got a real good idea.

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    • Maul didn't literally "come back from the dead," he survived. Then he got robotic legs, and then got into organized crime.
    • Yes, Star Wars is about magic. That's what that "the Force" thing is about, it explains why certain individuals in this universe are space wizards and others aren't.

CT1138 likes this.
  8. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah i remember that time Sidious showed Anakin how to keep people from dying with the Dark Side

oh yeah he couldn't because no magic.

9. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Maul did die though. His survival is a retcon of sorts.

Magic might be an important part of Star Wars, but it shouldn't be used as an off screen reason/excuse to bring back a dead character. It needs to be SHOWN. I want Snoke to come back but I want to SEE it happen. I would hate it if he just rolled up and said to Ren "You thought you killed me? Ha, you were wrong! Now for your punishment."

Hmmm..Actually that last line would be good.[face_skull]

Hyrum_Solo and kalzeth like this.
  10. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    It can work because an obi wan/Darth maul lightsabre duel would bring people to the theater.

11. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    It would have been much more elegant to make Maul a clone of the TPM-Maul. Being cloned is much more realistic in the Star Wars Universe than surviving being cut in half.

Edit: I would have been really nice if Thrawn would have appeared instead of Maul, at least in the old EU books Thrawn had a thing for unorthodox side projects. Thrawn needs to be shown in a movie at some point anyway, he is probably the biggest character in Star Wars who never was part of a film.
    Maul makes sense in terms of bringing together some parts of the franchise but showing him on the movie screen again causes problems too.

My Palpatine Eyes likes this.
  12. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Ah Ah Ah. No.
    Mind you, that's directly after fatally stabbing Maul's brother/apprentice and leaving Maul alone long enough so that he can witness the life (and the Nightsisters' magic) sip entirely out of him.

There are only two people that Sidious can be assed to deal with directly in the whole "moving pictures" canon : Yoda and Maul. The former because he's the only one who's a match for the green gnome, the latter because he gets a real kick out of knocking down and torturing his former apprentice. Maul is pretty much Sidious' favorite outlet for his sadism.

Really, his survival has little to do with magic. He literally survived out of spite. His physical and mental recovery and his first set of legs, however, that's all magic

13. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    Exactly . i'd have less problem with a clone. I will say when Savage Oppress showed up in the cartoon i felt it was total fanservice too . Personally i never got the obsession with Maul or Boba Fett or any one side character. Each Star Wars movie always brought in new characters and things that were interesting. Bringing something back has just never been creative to me.

14. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Nice. But as you should now, Titanic isn't a science fiction and a fantasy movie.

What was the main theme of the Sith during the Phantom Menace?

Ki Adi Mundi : ''Impossible. The Sith have been extinct for a millenia.''
    Mace Windu : ''I do not believe they could have returned without us knowing.''

They were too sure that the Sith have been extinct, they were too sure that they couldn't return. And who was the face of this return? It was Maul. Maul is the presentation and a symbol of how Sith can survive. He is the most suited character for such an ''impossible'' survival.

It doesn't seem like a parody at all. You're missing the point why Maul even exists in the first place.

15. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    It is one thing in a narrative to present characters which symbolise the endurance of an ancient Dark Side order, it is another altogether to show those characters as being humanoid in nature, but then inflicted with almost certainly fatal injuries, only to have them reappear again with a robot lower half. It is the ultimate and literal "deus ex machina" type story mechanism, and even in a fantasy setting, stretches credibility. It's a bit groan inducing.

I don't think I am missing any point, I simply don't really see the correlation between your two ideas.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Depending on how you look at things he could be consider one of 3 resurrected characters.

Echo who seemed pretty dead

Gregor who the creators always went back and fourth on if he died until they brought him back in Rebels

So it’s been done before in Canon.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Sudooku and Erkan12 like this.
  17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    After a second viewing I don't like it anymore. It feels like a marketing strategy rather than a piece of a well thought story.

Vialco and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  18. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Don't forget that TCW episodes were not top level (G-canon) at that time. Gregor's fate I think is also clearly left open for a return. Maul's fate in TPM was purposely not left open. He was dead. Maul, being alive in Rebels and now Solo, is the first character that died in top level canon to be brought back by top level canon (not inherited into top level canon).

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  19. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I think majority of the SW viewers thought that Gregor was dead. I too believed that Gregor died, which includes these guys at the end too;

--4:13--

And Ahsoka can be added to this list, how she returned to the story... That's a more crazy thing to do with the Force (a time travel) in comparison with surviving a bisection.

Humanoid ; but a Force user. You're missing that huge point clearly. You don't see every humanoid alien in SW is using the Force masterfully like Maul does. Maul has been chosen to be that face and symbol, because of how talented he is when it comes to using the Dark Side. The same Dark Side that resurrect people from dying as we learned in Revenge of the Sith. Why it's so surprising for some people that Maul used the Dark Side to survive. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Yoda managed to communicate with living beings when they were dead, there are many ways to use the Force.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  20. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    I'm not missing that point, I don't agree with it as a story mechanism for ret-conning and circumventing what would be a fatal injury. Would you accept the resurrection of Count Dooku's head with a new robot body, or vice versa, under the caveat that it was "the Force" which kept him alive? Or would you write that off as pushing it too far?

Even in fantasy fiction, if you try to push established convention too far you risk alienating the audience / reader / viewer. Characters, even fantastic, super-powered ones, have to function within a set of recognisable boundaries that we can relate to. If they can do absolutely anything and anything is possible, there is no peril and therefore no dramatic angle to a story.

Maul was "killed" in TPM to highlight Obi-Wan's need to call upon all his courage and skills to face the adversary who had just killed his teacher. It's an age old story hook, and it worked.

21. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Disney already deals in undemonstrated coincidence. The Falcon just so happened to be on the planet that the plot required it to be on, and lo, surprise, surprise, there the Millennium Falcon is, just when the plot requires it.

If you do a sanity check on this assertion at face value, a fast google will bring up the names Truman Duncan and Peng Shulin, who survived injuries least non-analogous to Maul's. Don't google unless you mean it, and, what you see is going to meet a standard of credibility far more achievable than what Maul experienced. That being said. Medical care in GFFA, which we can hope or assume is state of the art, is shown in SW77 bottle of Jack Daniels and roll of duct tape on Wuher's bartop, ESB bacta tank, ESB MF trauma couch after Bespin, ESB Medical Frigate robotic hand, TPM blood analysis shaving kit combo, AOTC robotic hand, ROTS Sideus' medical capsule that could preserve a multiple amputee with %100 third degree burns, ROTS' medical facility that formalized Vader's suit, ROTS asteroid medical facility with natal unit, RO large bacta tank for Vader.

The gap between what we can google and what is presented as having been survivable and what we the viewer of the cinematic universe are supposed to know that is survivable, tsk tsk, is loss of blood, loss of stomach, loss of upper intestine, loss of lower intestine, and losses of other major organs. A Maul injury in TPM timeframes is not going to be survived on earth. Nope. A Maul injury attended to immediately by state of the art medicine in GFFA has the lowest barrier to credibility in the medical care available to Darth Sideus at his own medical facility. That means it has to be incredible that the blood loss alone from a Maul injury still could not be treated by all the king's machines in that facility. If you can get past the blood loss, the next in order is the digestive system. Can a bacta tank administer necessary nutrients? That's kinda sorta one of the implied capabilities.

If those two consequences of a Maul injury can be held at bay using state of the art medicine of GFFA, one last stretch to contemplate, in terms of fundamentals, is what is the medical result of a lightsaber wound. A lightsaber is capable of melting a 2 foot diameter hole in a 2 or 3 foot thick metal blast door. Although there is blood on the floor of the Cantina, and a lightsaber was the logical source of the wound (since there was an amputation), that is not as stark an information as seeing/hearing the char of Luke's wrist, the char of Anakin's wrist, the char of Dooku's wrists and then head, and other characteristic sounds that viscerally tells us that a cauterization has taken place. (Maybe in the Cantina Obi-Wan's lightsaber was set to stun, or Ponda Baba had been eating french fries with ketchup. We can't know.)

It's still sloppy, but, an inference is available using logic, attainable information, the cinematic record, without resorting or requiring non-cinematic ancillary merchandise/sources, aka non-film "canon".

kalzeth likes this.
  22. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    It only works if they actually follow it up. Whether it's in the live action TV series, or a future movie. YES we see Maul's ultimate fate in Rebels, but they cannot tease a non-animated appearance here and then do nothing else.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  23. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Even if they follow up, that scene wasn't ok for me. He had no good reason to turn the saber on.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think dumping Maul in a deep, dark hole on Malachor can be a pretty satisfying end to the character in the films/live action stuff. Heck, drop him down a BIGGGG hole like in Phantom Menace. When Ezra finds him, he falls through a hole and Maul is walking with a cane and acting wounded so it can be an epic fight where he gets dropped down.

I go with intimidation. And also so people in the audience get "yes, this is Darth Maul." Also looks cool. Also, hey, if we never see or hear from Qi'Ra again the ignited saber "you and I will be working very closely" then, hey, she's dead. Maul killed her. Cuz he ignited the saber which means death.

Sudooku likes this.
  25. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I don't buy any of that. Especially the "looks cool" part. I'd say turning the saber on without the need to use is the exact opposite of cool.

kalzeth likes this.