main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Darth Maul Cameo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth_Voider, May 23, 2018.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think having the image of a horned dude ignite a implement of death (which he just made fly through the air to his hand, mind you!) and he's telling you to come to him is going to be a wee bit unsettling for the person on the other end.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I rewatched Solo and I have to say that the lightsaber thing actually works really well. It does come off as "You're in deep now. I'm watching you. Do. Not. Mess. With. Me."
    I like it!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    My point is that the real b@d@ss does not need to be so esplicit about his power. She must know by herself that she can't try tricks with him. And his fame should be enough.

TheYodaPagoda and kalzeth like this.
  4. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Of course she knows that. He's being explicit to make sure that she never forgets.
    And part of the point, as I see it, is that Maul isn't really "the real b@d@ss". He is a badass, but the real ones are the Sith.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    This is Maul, he is extra-dramatic like that. I still remember the inspiring speech to the Death Watch or the chest-thumping when he challenged Pre Viszla.

He ain't famous though. People tend to laugh at him before he slices their heads off. Just ask the previous generation of Black Sun leaders.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    To be fair, though, he's probably very well known in the underworld since Mandalore. After all, he did seek out all the crime syndicates and forced/tried to force them to join him.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    godisawesome likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Exactly. It's only gratuitous if you divorce the Maul reveal from the story unfolding. He's inspiring fear (and awe) in Qi'ra. And that makes sense.

8. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I went into the movie knowing of *a* cameo, but not who it was. Early on, I was focused on Vader or Fett, but was sensing so much excitement that either of those characters felt like the "safe" choices.

Lo and behold, the cameo came and I was thoroughly surprised! With this single step LFL have outpaced Marvel by allowing the tv shows to directly impact the films in an overt way. Its a risky move even the House of Ideas has been afraid to capitalize on due to the many reasons folks who were disappointed have enumerated here. (Yes, I read the entire thread!)

This is the single most energizing thing Disney have done with the franchise yet and I'm thankful for it. I really needed it after TLJ!

Twain, Lulu Mars, Sudooku and 2 others like this.
  9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Yeah presumbaly Qi'ra has now been Promoted and Maul is using fear to make sure she doesn't defy him.

Remember your place and who you answer too.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    TheYodaPagoda and Lulu Mars like this.
  10. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    If they do it with a proper scenario like it happened with Maul, why not. Maul didn't only use the dark side to survive, he had help from Mother Talzin and his brother Savage Opress. There are explanations on how he survived, he didn't just pop up from nowhere because some EU writer wanted to. It was Lucas who decided on, and the Clone Wars animated series crew started to write that story. If they do the same thing with Dooku, I would be ok, depends on how they will resurrect him. Because what you call that ''fatal injury'' also applies to Darth Vader who survived the Mustafar with heavy lightsaber wounds and heavy burn wounds. Palpatine saved him because; this time he knew his apprentice could survive and he didn't make the same mistake twice. The producers said that the same type of focus that helped Vader survived, it was there for Maul on Naboo too, but at the time Palpatine didn't know Maul could survive, so he experienced that as a Sith Master. That's also important for the story, how and why Palpatine believed Vader could survive. The Dark Side has that power, it's not ''pushing it'' at all.

I agree. Which is why the background that Maul has in the animated TV show was necessary. If the audience is really interested on how Maul survived, they can always use the searching tool from the internet. It's that simple. There was no need to mention on the live action platform how he survived. You can clearly see his robotic legs and hear the sound of it. If they aren't interested on that survival story, that's not a problem too, because this is a universe where people uses mind power to levitate stuff and communicate people from another galaxy, using spaceships that can fly at light-speed, and flying giant octopuses exists, and you believe they will not accept that a single person who has the ability to use the Force can't survive a bisection, if he survive that then that would be alienating the audience? I don't see how that is even a discussion.

You can always dislike the decision about why they resurrected Maul from dead, there are many decisions that I don't like too, but what I am disagreeing that if you're saying that survival ''doesn't make sense'' in Star Wars then I would say; oh yeah it makes sense alright, this is where people can turn into ghosts at will and shoot lightning bolts from their fingers.

There are many things that the audience wanted to see about Maul. Just like people wanted to see more about Darth Vader, we had the prequel trilogy, I didn't like how they handled the young Anakin Skywalker, but that's what we have.

I would respect your opinion if you say Maul should've stayed dead due to the story, and I say they should never kill Maul that early on, a character that is much more successful than any of PT characters deserved at least 2 movie appearances.

Twain and Sudooku like this.
  11. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Either in the sequel,

1. Qi'ra is defying Maul, earning her death from his hand.
    2. Or she dies on his side, earning death from anotherone's side.
    3. Or Maul is made believe that she is betraying him like she did before to Vos (strange to use this name for this not-Jedi but Quinlan wasn't seen to be killed, right?;) ) taking her live without her actually being guilty.

And if Maul is really developing feelings for Qi'ra, then it may end like the RL-tragedy of Reeva Steenkamp and Oscar Pistorius. I see Maul looking upon the scattered remains of his crimson empire to take resort in finding this holocron - his last and only hope.

Bah! Dead Snoke in TLJ looked like Sate Pestage killed in " X-Wing: Rogue Squadron - Masquerade" written by Michael Stackpole, drawn by Drew Johnson and Gary Hall in 2000.

12. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Edit: Not "Masquerade" but "Mandatory Retirement"

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I mean "movies only" universe is not an official thing. New canon is movies, tv-shows and all canon material after EU-canon split.

Revanfan1, Sudooku, BigAl6ft6 and 4 others like this.
  14. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Oh well it might be many years before we see Maul again - disappointing as I was really looking forward to seeing more of him.....

Sudooku likes this.
  15. v1k0u6

v1k0u6 Jedi Padawan

Apr 11, 2016
    Surviving being cut in half is not impossible. it happens in real life even

16. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    That isn't the point. Star Wars has people living as just a brain in a spider robot, nobody complained about the B'omarr monks. But that doesn't mean it would be okay for Count Dooku to suddenly show up as one.

Defensor and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. Darth Stratocaster

Darth Stratocaster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    But it's incredibly uplifting for the movie-going public, safe in their popcorn-encrusted seats.

Sudooku likes this.
  18. Darth Stratocaster

Darth Stratocaster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    This gentleman is one with the Force and the Force is with him.

Senator Wan and Count Yubnub like this.
  19. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    This man is a Zabrak, obviously.

20. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    After i left the movies i was like so disney wasn't joking when it said from now on everything is canon

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  21. The Wrens of Night

The Wrens of Night Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 14, 2017
    Really like to see Maul in the sequel sitting behind a desk wearing reading glasses and struggling with a spreadsheet.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Damn these pivot tables!!"

Senator Wan, Darth Smurf and Shaak Ti like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No. But, he was helped along by a talking snake named Morley.

Sudooku and Count Yubnub like this.
  24. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Look at what we have here.

25. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016