main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Darth Maul Cameo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth_Voider, May 23, 2018.

1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Goddamnit I was spoiled for this. Curse those early press screenings.

So I have no idea what reaction I would have had. I was hoping Maul would be seen outside of a hologram, but that's for the next movie.

2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I found it cool. I guess I would have probably enjoyed it even more if I didn't know he survived in the first place. But yeah, I was positively surprised.

moxlox and sizziano like this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The question is though....how did he survive? I know Fox has the PT til next year or so and then it reverts to Disney. Could they be prepping us for a PT change?

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I was too. I don't think character appearances in movies are something you can hide from people longer than a day or so. I really don't think the appearance of a well known character should be used like this. It's a cheap surprise for early viewers. A character appearance should never be a spoiler in my opinion.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, it should never be used if it is simply that: a cameo with no further role in that particular story(I don't mean just this film but the wider Han/Qi'ra story). Otherwise, it is a flimsy attempt to try and connect a wider SW universe in ways that raises more questions than answers.

Darth Downunder and kalzeth like this.
  6. Trooper- DC195

Trooper- DC195 Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2018
    I like the way these anthology films are being done, yes their are one of stories, Rogue one, / han Solo( pertential for more Solo Films )..
    Alden is on a three film contract..

But with in the telling of one story is a ongoing story in the background, The Empire..
    I saw Adding Maul as the leader of the syndicate as setting things up further along, Does Palpatine allows Maul to lead the crime syndicate, he has got Vader at his side.
    for it is mentioned by the birth of the Rebellion, that the Empire allows the crime syndicates to operate to do there dirty work for them. ( planning to see the film a few times to catch all the things i missed first time around. )..

Even though, Maul is no longer sith, he still has the abilities, surely a threat against Palpatine, unless like i say he is allowed to remain, for he is serving a purpose. for palpatine.
    I was not aware that Maul dies in animated series Rebels.. so my theory of this is setting up a Vader Stand along story of going after remaining jedi's and being tasked with eliminating Maul.. is now dead..

There is a lot of references, in the film about other characters and places from the prequels.etc.. Like Becket killed Aurra Sing,?
    Bounty hunter from TPM..

I just think there is a subtle story being told of the Empire running through all these films..

Silent Android and kalzeth like this.
  7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Personally I had no problem with him in the movie. I quite liked the character in Clone Wars. A few martial arts flip moves would have been nice.

What it did do was supply a few seconds of hologram (double) lightsaber, so we still can say that every, non-Ewok, movie has had a Force User and lightsaber.

But the first without Golden Tony. :(

revan772 likes this.
  8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It was cool to hears bits of duel of hates in his scene.

sizziano likes this.
  9. Quiff_vs_Sith

Quiff_vs_Sith Jedi Master

Jan 22, 2009
    _ _ _ _

I've followed TCW and Rebels and, of course, knew that Maul had survived the chop in TPM, but the reveal near the end of Solo was a massive surprise. I'd not come across any rumours about it.

sizziano and Shaak Ti like this.
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I didn't mind the Maul cameo. For me to say the Maul cameo isn't the best thing about the film is a big compliment.

11. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    My theater had a lot of gasps. I wonder really how many knew he survived during TCW. It was a nice reaction though.

I do wish he appeared outside of a hologram, but maybe that will come in the next movie of Solo, Kenobi, or another spinoff.

Like I stated before, I wish we didn't know his fate in Rebels. LF would have a lot to work with and could really build on his character and what could come. But now there's a timetable and there are limits. It's really just about cramming in screen time for him until there is no more left in this era of story to tell.

It doesn't make sense for Han to interact with Maul, that's why I am not sure he would be a villain in the next Solo movie. Especially with Han has never encountered mystical forces or powers according to ANH Han.

Glad to see Ray Park back at it. Met him last year at a local comic con and got a picture. I wonder if he knew then that he would be back as Maul. I believe the con was in the summer and Joonas was there to. So they probably had just finished filming by that point?

Duel of Fates theme playing and lightsaber going off was awesome. Gives appreciation to what came in TPM. Speaking of TPM, it's the 20 year anniversary next year of the movie. I wonder if they will tie that into Maul somehow.

I think casual goers are going to expect there to be another movie with Maul and Qi'ra going after Han or something. I don't rule it out, but now we will see what happens next.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I was spoiled for his appearance, but it was still fantastic.

Silent Android likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Loved it. Still not happy he was brought back, but this was a fun scene.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I knew about the cameo before seeing the movie so it wasn't surprising for me but it was great to watch it with an unsuspecting audience. The minute he lowered that hood and we saw his face almost the entire crowd cheered. A few looked around in complete bewilderment. A guy sitting close to us yelled out, "Wait what!!!" My son (who I didn't tell beforehand) looked at me with the biggest grin on his face! It was great!

Erkan12, DBPirate, sizziano and 8 others like this.
  15. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    My theater also got a big reaction at the Maul reveal.

Speaking of cameo's, did I see Two Tubes in Enfys Nest's crew?

revan772 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The same species yes

kalzeth likes this.
  17. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I was genuinely surprised to see him and also happy. Criminally underused in TPM, glad he was brought back in TCW and Rebels but to see him on the big screen again was welcomed. Looking forward to seeing where this goes since we know where it ends.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yep! That was really cool!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Someone in my theater said “that’s freakin Darth Maul” made me so happy.

Erkan12, DBPirate, sizziano and 4 others like this.
  20. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    There was a group behind me as I was leaving that was buzzing about Maul. "What does this mean?!?! Are we getting a Maul movie? We better be getting a Maul movie."

DBPirate, sizziano, Shaak Ti and 3 others like this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean they are not wrong. The setup is good and people would want it.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The average fan has no idea Maul is alive during this period, let alone that he build the Crimson Dawn. Most people think he was chopped in half and died and that was it. I heard a lot of confused mumbling from casual fans about it as I was leaving. The thing is for most of these fans, they won't get a satisfactory explanation in any followup films because the story was told in the cartoons- but some may not want to sit through that just for Maul. And if they make it to Rebels, it is even more confusing for them. As is, I am trying to reconcile when this takes place vs. when Maul ends up on Malachor. I suppose that could be what the sequel sets us up for though.

Vialco, Darth Downunder and kalzeth like this.
  23. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Don't know if sarcasm or not.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

sizziano and Phasmatic like this.
  24. Phasmatic

Phasmatic Jedi Knight

Sep 10, 2015
    Formerly Darth...now just Maul.

sizziano, Vialco and TCF-1138 like this.
  25. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It's been well known how he survived for years now. If you have Netflix go back and watch the episodes he is in of TCW.