The Dave Matthews Band

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by DarthNut, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthNut Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, today I received something wonderful in the mail, that is DMB's newest release, "Busted Stuff". Though many know it as the Lillywhite Sessions, I had never heard it before, and I must say, it is very good. My favorite DMB CD overall is Under the Table..
    What do you think of these guys? Good? Bad? OK?

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.
  2. Piltdown Force Ghost

star 5
    Tell you what. I have heared of them but never really listened or cared to listen to them. Howa bout you give the names of some good songs, I will download them, then we will discuss.

BLAMMO!!
  3. DarthNut Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Good songs ok.
    I'll give you some
    What Would You Say?
    Satellite
    Rhyme&Reason
    Ants Marching
    Everyday
    Where Are You Going?
    Bartender

Enough for ya?

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.
  4. MalaylaVespin Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm a big fan of the Dave Matthews Band. They just came to Albuquerque in May and put on an awesome show. It was by far one of the best concerts I've ever been to. The energy and passion coming off the stage was incredible. If anyone ever has the opportunity to see them play live I highly recommend going. :)
  5. Radiohead Jedi Master

star 4
    I think they're a great, talented band. I really feel that they care about making music and making their fans happy. Good stuff.
  6. DarthNut Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ya, they definintly put their fans on top of their priority list. I know they let cameras etc. into their concerts, though I don't know if they do that anymore. And they have released more live albums than any band I know.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.
  7. MalaylaVespin Jedi Master

star 4
    A bunch of people had cameras at the concert I just went to. I didn't think I'd be let in with one so I didn't bother bringing one. :mad:
  8. TremontiFan23 Force Ghost

star 3
    I love DMB. Can't wait to get my hands on the new album when I get the time/money.
  9. Lieutenant_Page Jedi Master

star 4
    DMB is one of my favorite bands; their songs can tend to any kind of mood you are in. I can't wait to get Busted Stuff this weekend :)
  10. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Not quite as good as U2.

//hides

Actually, I'm not very familiar with the music itself. Perhaps a few fans could enlighten me with a good discussion about their work?
  11. Radiohead Jedi Master

star 4
    Before certain users come in here and tell us to discuss things or this will get locked, I'd like to provide insight into exactly why Dave Matthews Band is so celebrated.

A great deal of their success lies in their incredibly strong fan following. DMB has some of the most faithful fans ever (I met a guy last summer, for instance, who went to 5 of their concerts and owned all their CDs). In fact, their tours are some of the most successful in recent years, thanks to their loyal fans.

And DMB's fans are loyal for a reason. The band *gasp* actually cares about who listens to them. Every single concert is unique and, often, they'll play their songs differently from show to show. Clearly, they care about pleasing their fans when they take the effort to give them a unique experience each time. As you can see, Dave Matthews Band is one of the hardest working groups out there.

What about their music, you ask? Well, it's hard to define. It's difficult even to guess what their influences are. But, a part of what makes them so successful is the fact that you can't quite compare them to any other band, since their music is unique. There have been many (mediocre) copy cats (John Mayer being one of them, but that's a personal opinion), but no one can quite match DMB's sound. Their sound is big, but not overwhelming; lush, but not cluttered; mellow, but not dull; and, most importantly, unique, but not pretentious.

Admittedly, DMB's music may alienate listeners who tend not to go for their brand of mellow music (like metal-heads, hardcore rap fans, etc.), but their sound is never so distant that it can't welcome fans of other types of music in.

DMB... a great band.
  12. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I must say, a lot of that description could fit very well for U2. Change the band name and it works either way (for the most part).
  13. Radiohead Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, I'm a fan of both bands (U2 is higher up on my list, but that's another thread); but, I had Dave Matthews Band in mind when I wrote it. My U2 write up would be different, I think.
  14. DarthNut Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ya, U2 and DMB are very similar as you guy said before. I happen to like DMB better, though.

:) DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.
  15. Melyanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe it was just my prejudices in coming from a prep school where DMB was the most popular band, but I always thought of them as just another pop band - actually, it's kind of funny that they played Homecoming at my school about ten years ago. ;)

However, I'll admit that they're a pretty good band - not nearly as good as U2, though. :p

Mel
  16. donteventhinkaboutit Jedi Knight

star 1
    I dislike this band for many reasons, not the least of which is their fanbase, which is comprised mostly of white frat boys and sorority chicks. As for their music, I wouldn't say it's anything special, but I might like them more if every pot-smoking wannabe hippy ****head on earth wasn't babbling to me about how awesome they are every five minutes.

And I'd say they remind me of U2 as well, but not in a good way :p
  17. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Get rid of Dave Matthews and you have one of the best bands ever created. [face_mischief]
  18. Radiohead Jedi Master

star 4
    What's wrong with Dave Matthews, BANe?
  19. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I cannot stand his voice or image. He personifies the wannabe hippy in my mind.
  20. Radiohead Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah. I don't really understand the hippy image gripe, but whatever.
  21. DarthNut Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Lord Ban is juswt mad because he was a neglected child by his hippy parents.

On a serious note, two of my dad's friends had tickets to see DMB on thrusday night. Or so it seemed. I turned out that it was for tuesday's show, not thursday's, and let me tell you, he was mad at his wife...

[face_devil] DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.