main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Dawn of a Mary Sue.. The Bria Tharen HATERS club.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jewlmc, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doo-Kimmie

Doo-Kimmie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2001
    Must get this thread back to first page...
    Must increase numbers to counter the briarf-o-philes adoration...

Must not let briarf invade any further...

Must keep the ideal couple of Han and Leia foremost on everyone's minds!

2. eeyore

eeyore Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    I agree with Shelley about the retrofitting...The EU is retrofitted to fit the movies continuity, not the other way around.

I have a feeling there will be a lot more contradicts as Episode III comes out. For one thing, I'm almost positive there'll be SOME sign of a Rebellion starting, which'll nicely anull the idea that Bria started the Rebellion single-handedly.

3. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    which'll nicely anull the idea that Bria started the Rebellion single-handedly.

I didn't catch that part in the books. Where does it say that? That'll pis me of if it's true.

4. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I've heard rumors that a certain AOTC character may be behind the formation of the Rebellion. At the very least, if the Rebellion or some semblance of it begins in Episode III, it would contradict the timeline set forward in the Briarf Tharen Trilogy--er, Han Solo Trilogy. Briarf would be all of 8 or 9 during the events of Episode III.

That is, if she existed in the SW universe. Which she doesn't. :)

5. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    Can someone give me a page number that says she single-handedly started the rebellion?

I honestly don't remember that part.

6. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    It doesn't really say that, but it DOES suggest that Bail Organa joined because he was so "impressed" by Bria.

More or less, it just has her EVERYWHERE, involved in EVERYTHING.

In fact, I think I saw Bria on the grassy knoll...;)

7. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Bail joins because he's impressed by Briarf? That's a laugh. Briarf, like a certain other red-gold Mary Sue, is artificially elevated and treated like the greatest thing in the galaxy; everyone's awed by her though she's done little to deserve such worship. We the readers are expected to think they're so great simply because it says so in the book.

8. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    I thought that Bria only only convinced Bail to help supply/finance the Corellian Resistance.

*shrugs* Ah, well.

More or less, it just has her EVERYWHERE, involved in EVERYTHING.

Yea, I noticed it too. I felt that she was just a Mara-clone (red haired fighter). And the fact that she was everywhere....well I think it wasjust a little unrealistic.

9. Doo-Kimmie

Oct 22, 2001
    I love it when the movies contradict EU stuff. :)

Bail Organa would be more impressed by Jabba's prowess with belching than by anything Briarf could offer. If he was "persuaded" to joing the Rebellion, I wouldn't be surprised if it was by some nice young lady he already knows.

10. Doo-Kimmie

Oct 22, 2001
    *swings bat at briarf's head*

Up, up, and awayyyyyyyyy she goes!

11. Doo-Kimmie

Oct 22, 2001
  12. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Almost forgot about this thread. Almost.

13. Doo-Kimmie

Oct 22, 2001
    No, I won't let you forget about this thread. :)

14. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Come on, Shelley! We can't forget bashing bria! :)

Question for you all: what is the single most offensive thing bria ever did?

The whole Boba thing? The Bail thing? The Death Star plans? Dying so Han would be free? :mad:

To me, the most offensive thing bria did was that she was born. ;)

15. eeyore

Jan 19, 2001
    The single most offensive thing Bria did was the way Han seemed to lose a brain when he fell for her ;)

Did anyone else read this horrific fanfic fanfic. WARNING: Don't click on link if you're under 18! Not only does it have to have Mara in the most perverted way possible, but Bria also HAS to be mentioned. Ewwwww!

16. Doo-Kimmie

Oct 22, 2001
    single most offensive thing Briarf ever did?

she wandered into the GFFA and actually convinced some people that she was a better match for Han Solo than Leia Organa. :mad:

Okay, not necessarily her fault but it's good enough for me.

17. MenionLeah

MenionLeah Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2002
    The fact that the existence of Briarf created doubt in many fan's minds over who was the real love of Han's life, or if Han would have ended up with Leia if Briarf had not died, is the most offensive thing Briarf ever did.

The books should have been written so there was absolutely no doubt on this subject. Sadly, it was not the case.

If you need any evidence on the damaging effects of these books, just look at all the Han/Bria fans who saw the books before watching the movies and hence believe that Han and Bria are the real thing and Leia is just a rebound gal who can never compare to Bria.

18. Doo-Kimmie

Oct 22, 2001
    The fact that the existence of Briarf created doubt in many fan's minds over who was the real love of Han's life, or if Han would have ended up with Leia if Briarf had not died, is the most offensive thing Briarf ever did.

I second that! Absolutely.

The books should have been written so there was absolutely no doubt on this subject. Sadly, it was not the case.

This is so true.

If you need any evidence on the damaging effects of these books, just look at all the Han/Bria fans who saw the books before watching the movies and hence believe that Han and Bria are the real thing and Leia is just a rebound gal who can never compare to Bria.

This despite the fact that Lucas said that Leia was Han's first and only love. Despite the fact that the ROTJ novelization states quite plainly that Han had never known love before.

The argument I usually get is "Bria treats Han so much better than Leia." The truth of the matter is, LEUia is so far from the true character of Leia, I'm not that surprised people doubt the relationship at all. Especially after reading several of the NJO books.

19. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    I'd say the most offensive thing was the way she lied to Han to get him to go along with the Ylesia raid.

20. Doo-Kimmie

Oct 22, 2001
    I'd say the most offensive thing was the way she lied to Han to get him to go along with the Ylesia raid.

Briarf lied to Han all the time (it seems) and there are some out there who think she treated Han better than Leia.

I just don't understand it.

21. eeyore

Jan 19, 2001
    She didn't need to lie. If she wanted to screw him over for the good of the galaxy, she could have told him about it beforehand and see if he would understand. The way she jerked him around when she knew the full score the whole time was totally inexcusable. Even Leia would have been horrified if she saw what the Rebel *cough* leaders *cough* were doing.

What is your vote for the most disgusting scene in the HST?

I think mine is in Paradise Snare, where Han tells his whole life story to Bria (riiight), while Bria is lying on the beach and birds come and land on her finger (give me a break! I knew not to write scenes of birds landing on Mary Sue's fingers in grade four).

Interesting how Mara Jade had birds and bunnies come up to her in Union. Red-gold haired Mary Sues really flock together don't they?

22. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    While there have been times that I wanted to smack Leia for her treatment of Han in the EU (mostly in that pile of bantha poodoo COPL), there have also been times when I've thought Han treated Leia badly too.

I don't see how Briarf treated Han so much better. She ran out on him and left him heartbroken, then ten years later she trotted back into his life, and stabbed him in the back and betrayed him.

Doesn't sound like she treated him that well to me.

All in all, Briarf came across to me like a weak-willed twit. There was nothing enchanting about her but her looks, and it gets wearisome very quickly to see a character's beauty get gushed over and everyone fall at their feet because they're so beautiful, especially if there's absolutely nothing behind the beauty to justify such worship.

23. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    In the first book, she left because she was depressed and needed to focus on her addiction.

Okay, that I'll buy. However, she should have gotten over him. He should have gotten over her.

Maybe the bird wanted to pee on her?

A bird once crashed into my stomach when I was nine years old. Does that count?

;)

24. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    See Shelley...here again we have more reprocussions of that piece of crap book. People using that to say that Leia treats Han like crap. GRRRRRR.

25. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Yeah, and they use it as proof that Briarf treated Han so much better: "She never almost dumped him for some prince."

No, Briarf didn't almost dump him. She dumped him. Period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.