The Dawn of a Mary Sue.. The Bria Tharen HATERS club.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jewlmc, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. Frodo_B Jedi Padawan

I'd like to join. I've despised Bria Tharen ever since she made her first appearance in the Paradise Snare! She was weak and boring, and not at all suited to the personality of someone as colorful as Han Solo! Moreover, the fact that she left him to conquer her own personal demons should have resulted in them BOTH moving on, rather than moping over each other for a full decade before running into each other again! High school sweethearts - the majority of them DON'T work out, and the great majority of the couples get over it, learn something from the experience, and don't dwell on the past.

Next on the offensive list - Starting the Rebellion?!?!? First off, this is incredibly offensive to Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, and the others who presumemly started it. I highly doubt a former pilgrim who was in her early twenties and knew very little about war tactics could be so influential in founding a galatic wide rebellion! Secondly, these books are insulting to the Empire. Imperials should be well trained to not be weak-minded by a lovely face and figure and give up all information to a beautiful girl! Think of how detrimental that could be for their cause. For that matter, bounty hunters should as well! If they let every beautiful girl they capture go, they wouldn't last long in the business, would they?

Lastly, it is an insult to the Rebellion to claim Bria as a martyr of the Rebellion with the horrific tactics she used against the slavers, simply because she died!
  2. Frodo_B Jedi Padawan

Han named his ship after her? Sheesh! I'm surprised he didn't name his daughter "Bria".

There was a fan fiction where that happened which goes to show the damaging effects the EU has on people's perception of the characters.

fanfic
  3. Wildwookiee Force Ghost

star 4
    go ahead and post my story!!
  4. Wildwookiee Force Ghost

star 4
    Actually, I shall post my story...
    Here are three stories that I wrote for the Haters' Community. These stories outline the deaths of the three worst charicters in the EU...Callista, Bria, and Anakah...enjoy my hate.

Star Wars: Callista
    *Luke raises his lighsaber high to defend himself from Sheado's attack. Sheado spins his weapon

masterfully and steps in with a sharp thrust toward Lukes midsection. The Amphistaff stretched to its full

reach and sped towards Luke like a force lightning attack. Luke rotates and perry's the thrust...not quite

fast enough. The Amphistaff shears through his mechanical hand, sending his lightsaber clattering to the

floor. The pain receptors screamed for only a second, then the overides shut it down. While all of this

was happening, the Vong warrior destroyed the lighsaber with one swift chop of his staff.

"I have you now jeedai. You are a worthy opponent, and your blood will make a worthy sacrifice to the

gods!!"

Luke, unarmed, and unable to use the force against this opponent searches deep within himself to make

himself ready to become one with the force. Suddenly a sound from behind him startles him out of his

spiritual quest.

" I'm here Luke" crys the voice of Callista

Callista, while attempting to sneak into the room slipped on the highly waxed floor, and fell right into

sight.

"who are you infedel?" exclaimed Sheado.

"She is Callista," Luke remarked, "I used to have a thing for her, but look at her now...she has gained at

least 80 kilos, has taken up spice to try to connect to the force, and it looks like she has an estrogen

problem...look at the facial hair!! Man, we don't need a Wookiee replacement for Chewbacca with her around!!

I don't see what I ever was thinking. Jeez,I think that even Jabba was skinnier!!"

"Thanks alot Luke, after all I did for you, I gave you space, and I let you live your life with Mara, and

this is the thanks I get...I'm the one that got My force powers taken away from me, I'm the one that was

trapped on that god forsaken ship for an eternity...I was a Jedi master long before you were even THOUGHT

about being born, and I'm here trying to save your life, and you are treating my like crap...jerk!!!!"

Sheado decided at that moment to attack. Charging the Jedi Master, his Amphistaff raised high and ready,

his muscles tight and ready to spring. Luke turns to see this tattooed mass of muscle charging at him, and

makes a split second choice. Tapping into the Force, he gets ahold of Callista, bringing her in line with

the descending Amphistaff. The Weapon digs deep into the womans body, severing flesh and bone, it

completely severs her body into two halfs. Luke, still tapped into the Force, Luke rips the Arm from the

biscected body, and shoots it like a bullet into the large brow of the Vong. Sheado's eyes roll back into

his head and he falls to the ground, vanquished, with a hand, still twitching, skewering his head. Luke

sits on the ground, tired from the battle that just ended. He looks at the destroyed body of his one-time

lover and a tear appears at the corner of his eye. And then, as he had not done since his youth, he laid

his head back, and laughed.

Starwars:Bria
    Bria sneaked down the damp sewer system beneath Coruscant. Her blaster ready, she continued the hunt.

"This J'ptull should be down here, I have tracked him this far" she said to herself. J'ptull was a

criminal suspected in selling secrets hacked out ot the Rebel's manframe on Dantooine. In her

"Intellegence" line of work, she ran into many cases of data fraud. turning the next bend she ran into

some small creatrue who suddenly screamed and clawed at her leg. The talons of the sewer rat dug down into

her calf, sending waves of pain throughout her body. She repressed the desire to scream less she give away

her posistion. she continured after her target, with a slight limp in her stance. "Oh, I wish Han was

here," she thought, "He would al
  5. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    I love you, WW! Those were just as funny as I remembered them. :)

and the screams of a nobody suddenly ceased.
    [face_laugh] [face_devil]

And I upped the bria poll; check it out everyone.
  6. Tara Jedi Knight

star 3
    Gaaah Frodo_B, I still get nightmares from that fic *shudders* Not anything against the writer's ability to write, just the subject material disturbs me to say the least...

Hehe WW, nice job :D
  7. Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks for the fic, Frodo_B.
    I agree with Tara.
    That was...not good.
    Not the fault of the writer, but the fault of bria and the eu.
    *shudders*
  8. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    Don't blame the EU for one irritating character. There are a lot of good things. Bria just isn't one of them.
  9. Wildwookiee Force Ghost

star 4
    I read that fanfic that the link went to, and I must say

It made me want to wretch...I mean, putting one of the best songs in the middle of Han Solo crying over Bria...I bet he didn't even give her a second thought after he married Leia...The chick (I say chick because a guy would NEVER write like that) wasn't a bad author...just misguided.
  10. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    I'm going to stay away from that fic. I think. It sounds like a headache waiting to happen. I'm convinced that after he heard of her death, the next time Han thought of bria was in the Agents of Chaos series. :p
  11. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Adi, I just bumped your poll it up with a passage from the ROTJ novelization, in response to someone's earlier comment that it is "too vague" about Han's feelings.
  12. MenionLeah Jedi Padawan

My initial thoughts on the character:

Despite her completely because she is the most blatant Mary Sue in the EU by far, Callista coming second. It's a shame because she could have been a very interesting character, but was taken way too far.

How incredibly contrived is it in a galaxy of billions of various species that she was Han's first love, started the Rebellion, AND stole the Death Star plans? <rolls eyes> The HST felt like the Bria Tharen trilogy instead of Han's trilogy. It would've been fine if she just showed up in the first book, but to keep bringing her back over and over, having Han obsess over her, and making her the center of everything was Mary-Sueism of the worst kind.

I liked Xaverri and Salla. I found them to be interesting characters from Han's past, as well as the girls Daley brought into his series. Bria's character never struck me as the type that would be interesting or appealing to Han.
  13. MenionLeah Jedi Padawan

Re: The fic...

All I have to say is WTF???

Han naming Jaina after Bria???? Leia has to "give Han his space" on the anniversary of Bria's death???? Han feeling Bria's presence at the grave and telling her how much he loved her??? If I were Leia I'd tell him to get f***ing over it!

And the great Beatles song being inserted between the lines of that fic - blasphemy!

DISCLAIMER: The author writes very well, this is not intended to be a bash against him/her, just the plot that disturbs me!
  14. Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    MenionLeah, you're right about that.

The writer is good, but that plot is really scary.

sabrelord, there is good stuff in the EU, but IMO, the NJO isn't one of those things.
    Just my opinion though.
  15. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Yes, the fic was well-written, but the plot made me want to punch a wall.

I have never met a woman who would a) name her daughter, even partly, after her husband's ex-girlfriend; b) meekly step aside while her husband moons over his ex-girlfriend; and c) meekly accept it when he talks about how much he loves that ex-girlfriend.

The Leia I know and love would smack Han upside the head and tell him to get over that dumb twit.
  16. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    The Han I know would never be stuck on some girl from his past. It's just a fic, let's remember. It didn't happen that way. Thank God. ;)
  17. MenionLeah Jedi Padawan

Was anyone else bothered by Crispin's explanation of "That was a long time ago, I'm sure he's forgotten about that/You'd got a lot of guts coming here after what you pulled"?

It seemed more like an inside joke between Han and Lando that didn't have much consequence, probably a result of Lando losing the Falcon to Han. Yet, by the end of Rebel Dawn Lando seems ready to kill Han!

Had Crispin's scenerio been true, Lando's greeting would have been more "What the $%() are you doing here?! Get off my property!" than his joking insults with Han.
  18. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    And then been killed by Vader ;)

Cant see how Leia would EVER call a kid Bria though. That's almost as worrying as Steven Seagal's naming ways :)
  19. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, to be fair, Lando had probably mellowed somewhat-perhaps he figured out Han had been betrayed as well.

But, I think that does explain his willingness to allow Han to land, even though he knows Vader is waiting for him, and to let them go along with it. Yes, he said he had no choice...but at the same time, he seems very matter of fact about it.

At least, that was how I saw it.
  20. MenionLeah Jedi Padawan

That's possible, but the way Lando acts as if he's going to kill Han at the end of Rebel Dawn as compared to Han's nonchalant "That was a long time ago...I'm sure he's forgotten about that" doesn't seem to quite jive.
  21. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Much like Crispin's version of a heartbroken, hurt-by-love Han doesn't jive with the devil-may-care, cheerful Han we see in ANH.

Or how Crispin's version of Bail Organa, who's so bowled over by a pretty face that he decides to join the Rebellion, doesn't jive with the Bail we see in AOTC, who looks ready to start the Rebellion himself.

To be fair, Crispin's books were written waaaaaaay before AOTC came out. However, her making Bail yet one more of Briarf's acolytes simply underscores Briarf's Mary Sue-ism.
  22. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    I didn't think Han sounded nonchalant about that-even before I ever read the HST. Every time I saw TESB, it's almost like he's trying to convince himself, like...um...oh sure...no problem. (Meaning: Oh, please, oh PLEASE let him not be pissed at me!)

:D

But, YMMV.
  23. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I don't doubt that something bad did happen between Lando and Han. I just don't go for Crispin's EUxplanation.
  24. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm re-reading the HST, and I'm up to The Hutt Gambit. I have a question-did Soontir Fel originate with Crispin, or with Stackpole?

25. accrispin Author of the Han Solo Trilogy

VIP
    star 1
    Stackpole. Used with author permission.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.