main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The dawn of IRON SPIDER-MAN: A good thing?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi_Will_Kenobi, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The whole thing is just to tie into "Civil War" and put Spider-Man between Iron Man and Captain America, regarding the Superhero Registration Act. Superman's costume change was basically a media stunt. The Knight Trilogy in Batman was done to show fans why Batman should not be like the Punisher or Wolverine. The problem was that in the 90's, such gimmicks got abused by both companies.

Though, Batman's costume has evolved over the years. As have most of the comic characters. Batman had different looking ears, cape, utility belt and gloves in the beginning. The yellow oval was added to create a copyright image. The darker costume was created in light of the films. The current suit was created since many felt that it should be back to basics, but keeping Frank Miller's utility belt. Superman's S-Sheild changed a lot, as did his boots. Spider-Man's eyes changed from Steve Ditko to John Romita Sr. to Todd McFarlane. Wolverine went from Herb Temple's design, to Dave Crockum to John Byrne to Dave Crockum to Bryan Hitch to John Cassady to John Byrne. Robin went from Bob Kane and Jerry Robinson to Neal Adams to the new design post OYL. And lets not forget that Dick Grayson gave way to Jason Todd to Tim Drake with Stephanie Brown for a while.

2. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    That's NEVER the solution.;)

3. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    I prefer costume changes when they go from something worse to something better.

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

So far, it hasn't been too bad. But we'll see how it goes.

5. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    when does stark give it to him? issue i mean?

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    We first see it in the last panel of The Other, in issue 12 of that. We really see it in the issue after that. I don't remember the number.

I really like that he can change back to his old one. Plus, his reaction to the arms was hilarious. I think Peter's got the worst case of ADD. "$@^$&*... Ooh, I can see into the next hotel room from here."

7. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

The worst case is the Hulk.

In Ultimate Wolverine vs. The Hulk, there's one part where he's very angry, going "HULK SMASH!" and whatnot, and then sees a whale and goes "Ooooo! Fishy!" :p

8. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I read somewhere that this costume change is a temp thing. If so, I like it. Meshes well with Spidey and Tony being on the same side in Civil War

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yeah, it pretty much looks like its for the sake of Civil War.

Don't be so sure you know who is on what side yet though Flare [face_mischief]

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Hehe, I forgot about that. But I think Peter is more consistantly ADDed.

11. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

USM certianly is more ADD. The latest issue was a perfect example of why Spider-Man is so fun to read, but probably would annoy the heck out of anyone within earshot.

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Most likely- Especially Tony Stark.

"That's your way of saying Shut Up Peter, without really saying Shut Up, right?"
    "Right."

13. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I like the tony spidey relationship, but i don't like the new costume.

14. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I don't think the new costume is that bad, in fact it has a few nice add-ons for Spiderman. The biggest issue most people seem to have with it is the way it looks, and Marvel already thought of that....

"The costume is built out of a liquid metal nanofiber allowing it to effectively disappear when not needed, and reappear on will. The nanofiber allows quicker costume change, and also allows the costume to take on other appearances, such as those of Spider-Man's former costumes."

Source (Marvel.com)

So with that in mind, I bet this new costume is a permanent thing. It may look different in the future to appease the fanboys, but I can easily see Marvel trying to keep it in play.

15. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, they demonstrated that in the last comic. He can essentially wear it at any time, because the suit can become invisible, and can change between his old suit or something like Venom's.

16. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Wait, so it can turn into any set of clothes that he wants o_O

I've never seen them do that before.

17. wukeskywakur

wukeskywakur Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2006
    I think the new suit on the whole is a good thing, over at the forum I normally post in it's been mentioned that the art for post civil war has been seen (we have a few dealers etc... so we get little snippets of advanced info) and that Spidey will revert to the new costume, so what does the current costumre bring us A) a chance for spidey to fight the other good guys durring civil war and an excuse for why he's going to stomp them (Ie: spidey beating up captain america which to me is a good thing) and a chance for him to start working with stark reminding readers that pete is supposed to be a genius. something many have forgotten.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that it's more prior suits that he's used, residual memory or something like that. I have to take a look again.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Since this is like the Spider-Man discussion thread, do you really think they'll bring back Uncle Ben?

Where did I get THAT from? It's the last spoiler in the third comic down, here.

My opinion is that two characters in Spider-Man should NEVER be brought back, or else it is ruined. They are Uncle Ben, and Gwen Stacy. Sure it would be happy if the real Uncle Ben and the real Gwen Stacy were brought back (and not some clones!), but then Spider-Man will just lose something. Like any connection to reality, just something about Spider-Man that makes it so great.

I think that the butler who has been trying to get with Aunt May, Jarvis, is responsible. Watch him be revealed as a villain. I don't think they'd be crazy enough to bring Uncle Ben back.

But they did have Spider-Clones, kill baby May, bring back Aunt May and Norman Osborn, kill and ressurect Spider-Man, made Spider-Man more supernatural, and revealed the adult children of Norman Osborn and Gwen Stacy.

So, who knows? [face_worried]

20. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I wouldn't really call this the Spiderman thread- just discussion on the new suit.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Is there a Spider-Man thread then?

22. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    As long as the new costume isn't a permanent thing, then I'm happy.

23. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Did Mariah just discover comic threads? This is the second thread you upped. ;):p

The costume is growing on me, actually. But I won't miss it.

24. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Hey, I was looking through the index.:p

Hope the good old red and blue makes a return soon.

25. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    IIRC, JMS said that the new costume wouldn't last forever, probably through Civil War or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.