main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Day Evil Won: FINAL CRISIS

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Soontir-Fel, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Revelations #2 was a great read.

Anyway I always thought Vandal Savage was Cain, yet now it seems that Cain is reborn into the body of Savage thanks to the spear of longinus. Guess I was wrong. :p

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    The only issue I have is that it makes it look like the Crime Religion has been around forever, which I can buy with Savage and Darkseid being around that long, but you would think you would have seen something about it earlier than 52 if it has been around so long.

3. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Blame it on Superboy punching reality, or Darkseid having changed the nature of reality sometime around when he won the war in heaven and won without bothering to inform people and coming down to earth as a gangster, or Mr. Mind fluttering among the 52 realities, or on Booster Gold getting drunk, or on the Skrulls.

You can blame most anything on the Skrulls nowadays.

It's been there all along!

4. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Couple of questions

So does Savage know his place in the whole scheme of things? We see the Omega symbol on his computer. Is he a willing participant in Darkseid's plan or is he one of the people who get his will sapped by the anti-life equation when it hit the web? In FC 2 he talks about how he's walked for so long and wants the boredom to end, but is it as a willing envoy of the Dark Gods or a pawn in a plan that has festered since the beginning of human history?

5. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Well, he might have been Cain all along. Some part of what he is might have been locked away.

With everything else going on, the Cain personality might have been waking up in him anyways.

6. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Should be interesting to see if Anti-Life has any effect on him.
    It did on Wonder Woman which surprised me tho it was more of a mutagenic physical version of the equation.

7. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Well remember that Morrison is making the New Gods as actual Gods. So their power is literally immeasurable. Diana, who while a princess-once-goddess, even has to follow the rules of the Gods. Mr Miracle is only protected because he's beloved by the New Gods.

Man, I want submit to be out right now.

8. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    So, any bets on whether Batman will be more or less immune to Anti-Life?

9. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Remember Rock of Ages, where Batman was tortured by Dessad for 5 years, then outsmarted him and took his place while plotting Darkseid's fall?

He's got them right where he wants them.

10. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Either that or he'll turn into the Batman of Zur-en-arhhh as a self defence mechanism. :p

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    First, it's 15 years. Not five. Second, I think because of "52" and "R.I.P." that what happens to Bruce here is why he won't be Batman when all is said and done. Methinks that Bruce will be broken this time.

12. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    You know, when they said "The Day Evil Wins" I'd expect a little hyperbole. Instead you get the good guys not even having a chance. They are just defeated, as if it were inevitable. It's so unyieldingly depressing that I have no idea how the good guys get out of it.

13. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    You know what impressed me the most about this issue? It actually managed to come out. :p

14. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    It was delayed for like 2 weeks.

Don't be a ninny.

15. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Anyone have any thoughts on the latest issue?

16. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Final Crisis is different from most comic events in that the tone is so off. This is not our heroes engaged in a huge war or epic space battle. This is our heroes when they have already lost. It was inevitable. The revel of Darkseid came after we had seen his plans already eliminate the greatest opposition. The Trinity; down, the world; enslaved, the heroes; besieged and losing, and the hope of the world, the man immune to the anti-life equation Mr Miracle; shot before he could save us. Dan Turpin was a man who we saw was brave and tenacious, but even he couldn't do anything. He was reduced to a husk begging someone to help him or to stop it. It was the defeat of a man who never backed down or gave an inch. His transformation was the death of the human spirit, while the world sickens and decays around them. Showing him before that moment would just be having a bad guy appear, this way we know that the Gods have come and they bring ruin with them. We can't resist, we are forced to Submit. It was absolutely heartbreaking the entire issue, and the only hope in it were the Flashes.

It was the best single issue of anything I have read all year.

17. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
  18. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    So Darkseid is torturing Batman to use his awesome to run his war troops.

Neato keen.

19. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
  20. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Yeah.

Darkseid scares the ******* **** right out of me.

21. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Seriously though, every time Darkseid talked I squeeled with delight and terror. It was awe inspiring. Something I noticed is that you could take this and read it before the Rock of Ages JL story, and it would almost read as explaining how the world got so frelled up.

[image=http://pics.livejournal.com/redorion/pic/0017sw86]

[image=http://pics.livejournal.com/redorion/pic/0017t84k]

22. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I really loved the hal jordan stuff in final crisis 5, he's one of my favorite characters and if geoff johns ever decides to take a break from green lantern, i think morrison would be a choice to follow up with.

23. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    The fifth world is a rubik's cube?

24. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    The square world has got to be Bizarro's planet.

I'm seriously into "Legion of 3 Worlds" right now. Superboy Prime is ... AWESOME!Waiting for the next issue. Hurry DC!!

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm not enjoying Final Crisis. I'm sure it has to do with my ignorance of the DC Universe. And I'm sure with has to do with Morrison's story telling and the amount of time that passed between the last two issues. I can't remember what happened to Superman without picking up the previous issues.

Moreover, the artwork doesn't seem up to snuff.

I feel Final Crisis is meant for the hardcore/loyal readers of DC comics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.