Amph The Day Evil Won: FINAL CRISIS

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Soontir-Fel, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Boy are we!
  2. AquaVitae Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    It's finally growing on me, especially these last two issues. Much different than the prior Crises..es.
    But with Morrison, what else can you expect?
  3. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    As of the latest issue of Batman, Bruce has killed a clone army through mind kung-fu and is armed with a god killing bullet and left all alone.

Hot damn.
  4. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    It's pretty obvious that the DC universe is too feeble to contain Batman's awesomeness hence they will have to replace him with a lesser Batman in spring.
  5. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    They actually managed to kill him, I'm impressed.
  6. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 5
    Indeed. A crispy critter. I'm shocked that they actually did it. I think the fan response will be interesting.
  7. Sn4tcH Force Ghost

star 4
  8. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

This just opens the door for Black Lantern Batman.

Black. Lantern. Batman.

In a fight between Black Lantern Batman and God, God wouldn't even bother showing up. He would instead hide like a little girl and cry.
  9. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    What's even cooler is that Bruce isn't dead. Remember what Darkseid said? The Omega Sanction is the death that is life. According to "Seven Soldiers", Darkseid used it on Shilo to trap him in alternate realities, with each one progressively worse than the last. He eventually escaped. So, Bruce Wayne isn't dead. He's just in a really bad place.
  10. Sn4tcH Force Ghost

star 4
    No to mention, Morrison has been outright saying he's not going to kill Batman. DC basically mandated it too. Heck the way they brought Jason Todd back, I believe anyone can be brought back at any point in the DCU.
  11. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    It wasn't a mandate, so much as this was a story arc that he and Didio came up with. Building off of "52" and going through the present. There was no mandate to not kill him. It just wasn't really in consideration.
  12. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    "The Battle for the cowl"?? Oh gee, Death of Superman revisited.

Reading this series makes me relize how out of it I am with comics these days. I have a hard time identifying many of the costumes I see.
  13. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    Notice that morrison brought back ra's al ghoul before he killed batman, i wonder if ra's will have a role in batmans resurection.
  14. YODA_SITH Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay everyone. Whats the verdict.

Was it ground breaking, deep, meta textual awesomeness.

Or

Was is completely over the top, crazy paced, jumping all over, big pile of crap.

I'm going with the second option. I thought it had a ton of potential and I think overall it will be seen as being positive. But personally I wish it would have just been more linear. Everyone is like well then you're not smart enough to understand it. But that's not it, I do understand it it just is bothersome to have to analyze every damn panel when I just want a good story. You also need to be current with like the past 25 years of DC and being a purely Batman and DC animated universe guy I had to spend some time on Wikipedia and different sources trying to piece together who everyone was.

Anyways that's my two cents. I guess it was kinda fun to read or I wouldn't have read it but it gave me plenty of headaches and made me more pissed off then anything.
  15. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Pretty much.

There's a neat little script out there called the Garfield randomizer. It pulls random Garfield panels out of the collection of Garfield comics, and then assembles them into a script. Sometimes, that's funny. Sometimes, it makes no sense. That's what Final Crisis felt like. A large collection of panels strung together that sometimes seemed like they might belong together, and sometimes didn't really make much sense unless you remembered the original strips that they came from.

Too many plot lines, too many plot lines falling flat. And a villain who utterly failed at seeming dangerous. Darkseid went from being one of the top villains of the DCU and turned into Dr. Evil in blue jeans. It's almost as bad as the recent redesign on the Joker.
  16. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Have they revealed whether or not the heroes/villains returned to absolute normal once the Anti-Life equation was jammed?
    I'll agree that I was disappointed with the final issue.

I loved issue 6 strictly for the Bat but I found myself struggling to find where all the gaps were coming from because of the 11 billion side storylines running. I liked that New Genesis is born from Apokolips but to believe that Darkseid is really dead is ridiculous.

It'll be interesting to see where Desaad pops up but a possible future with no Darkseid, no Granny, and what appears to be a mutated and mind-controlled metahuman population could be interesting. It would have been nice to keep Libra in the mix awhile longer as he seemed to be one of the few characters that showed promise in the beginning.

I personally can't wait for the new Flash series to start up after the awesomeness that was Rogues Revenge and you just know Barry is in for some hell once he starts running again. (After all....that other speedster will never stop hunting him...)
  17. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Darkseid isn't dead dead. Just discombobulated (sp) until it's time to bring the New Gods back. Didio said that they're taking a break from them, since they've been used a lot over the last couple of years.

"Orcale: The Cure" will deal with that as she has some of the Anti-Life Equation within her.
  18. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    I hope there's a 4th crisis that retos this crisis out of existence, because it sucked.
  19. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm fairly new to the dcu, but i think i got it for the most part. I'm sure reading 7 soldiers and morrison's jla run would've been helpful, but i still enjoyed the series.
  20. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I just read #7 and I guess I need to read it all over because I found the final issue very confusing. Batman in Anthro's time was interesting.
  21. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    don't get me wrong, it is confusing, but i still liked it. Morrison posted the reading order on cbr.

Final crisis 1-3
    superman beyond 1-2
    submit
    final crisis 4-5
    batman 682-683
    final crisis 6-7
  22. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    [image=http://blog.wired.com/underwire/images/2009/03/17/final_crisis_hc.jpg]

So the FC Hardcover will have the seven main issues, Submit, and two issues of Superman Beyond, in Morrison's suggested reading order. This is great because Superman Beyond is one of the best things ever and almost required to understand issue 7.
  23. Sn4tcH Force Ghost

star 4
    Almost? I thought Dracula was coming out of nowhere to fight Superman. I had no idea he was the Dark Monitor if it wasn't for Superman Beyond. I kind hope they print it sans 3D.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.