main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Day Must Follow: Midnight (AU- Obi-Wan, Dooku, Anakin)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by UsernameChangedByRequest, Feb 7, 2014.

1. UsernameChangedByRequest

UsernameChangedByRequest Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2014
    Title: The Day Must Follow
    Genre: Drama, Action, Adventure
    Timeframe: Starts ten years before The Phantom Menace, and continue to at least the end of Revenge of the Sith.
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Master Dooku, and eventually Anakin.
    Summary: Jedi Master Yan Dooku decides to take young Obi-Wan Kenobi as his apprentice.

The Day Must Follow

This above all: to thine ownself be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.
    —Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Act I: Midnight, Scene 1
    Chapter One

“The situation has become dire. War is likely to break out. I cannot return to Coruscant. I will attempt to stay in contact. However, transmissions will presumably be jammed in the coming weeks.”

Jedi Master Dooku stared at the blurry image of his former padawan and tried to quell the rising anxiety had felt upon hearing the terse message. His feelings were obviously a sign of attachment, and attachment was not befitting of a Jedi Master. He quickly released the surge of bitterness that had tainted his thoughts.

“Troubling news this is,” said Master Yoda, his ears drooping. “Appeared, more conflict has.”

“Indeed,” replied Master Dooku, eyes still on the currently silent holo-transmitter. Yoda peered at the younger man.

“Worried about Qui-Gon, I sense you are. More faith you should have in your former Padawan, hmm?” Master Yoda turned and walked out of the chamber, and Yan Dooku followed dutifully. Master Yoda continued to impart his words of wisdom.

“Skilled, he is. Your training he remembers. Now a master he is, and no longer your student.”

“I know.”

“Know you do, believe you do not.”

The two masters walked in silence for several minutes.

“Changed, the future has,” Yoda said suddenly.

“Why is that?”

“Clouded, it has become.” Yoda’s ears drooped. “Darkness, there is.”

Dooku resisted the urge to sigh. Recently, Master Yoda’s statements had become more cryptic than usual. Master Dooku briefly wondered if it was senility finally coming upon the diminutive green master, but decided that Master Yoda had lost his sanity years ago.

“Your thoughts I sense. More mindful you must be. Relative, sanity is.” Yoda paused. “Know of Initiate Kenobi, do you?”

“No, I do not,” Dooku responded, by now used to Yoda’s random shifts in topics.

“Great potential he has. Expected Master Jinn to train him I did. No longer possible, that is.”

“Why not? Qui-Gon said that he would be delayed for a few more weeks. Surely this initiate should be able to wait that long.” Dooku tried to ignore the panic that returned. “Qui-Gon will be returning, correct?”

“Fine Qui-Gon will be. But turning thirteen in two weeks Initiate Kenobi is. Before then, take him a master must.”

“He hasn’t been chosen yet? Even after the Tournament? Perhaps Initiate Kenobi is not meant to become a Jedi Knight,” said Dooku tartly. Yoda retorted by hitting his former student’s shins with the infamous wicker stick. Dooku bore the pain wordlessly, calling upon his near sixty years of experience.

“Like your tone, I do not. And a great role Initiate Kenobi has to play.”

“If you wish so dearly for Kenobi to become a Padawan, then why do you not pick him as your apprentice?” questioned Dooku, puzzled with Master Yoda’s interest in the initiate.

“Not my place it is,” Master Yoda said. “But yours it could be.”

Dooku stopped, stunned. “What? You want me to take Initiate Kenobi as my apprentice?”

Yoda hummed and continued walking.

“I see no reason in taking an apprentice at this time,” said the younger master, hurrying to catch up with the surprisingly quick older one.

“See little reason you do,” agreed Yoda. “But see Obi-Wan Kenobi, you should.” Master Yoda stopped and gestured at the large panes of glass. Dooku looked and smiled wryly. They were at the Academy’s training grounds, and a group of initiates were sparring.

“Which one is Obi-Wan Kenobi?” Dooku asked, curious about the special initiate. Dooku allowed his eyes to wander across the room. They finally rested on a ginger-haired human who was sparring with a larger blonde one. He watched with mild interest as the smaller Initiate struggled to fend off the stronger attacks of the bigger boy. Then, in a surprising show of skills, the red-headed child suddenly disarmed his opponent.

“Watching him you are.” Yoda tapped the glass and pointed a crooked finger at the shorter one. That also got the initiates’ attention. All of them stared at the two and started whispering, shocked. Dooku noticed the glares that Obi-Wan and his sparring partner exchanged, and the emotion on both of their faces was not lost on him.

“He has anger within him,” he remarked.

“Anger, all of us do have. Act on it, we must not.”

“Hmph.” Master Dooku was no longer a Padawan to be lectured. He frowned and turned to leave. He had much better things to do than watching some initiate spar.

“Did you see that?” bragged Bruck Chun. “Master Yoda and Master Dooku came looking for me. Both of them must want me to be their apprentice.”

Garen Muln scoffed. “I’m sure that they’re real impressed by the way you were beat by Obi-Wan.”

Bruck scowled. “Shut up, Garen.”

“How do you know they weren’t here to just watch? They could be here for anyone of us. Who knows? They could’ve come here for Obi-Wan,” said Garen. Obi-Wan Kenobi blinked, startled.

“They wouldn’t come here to watch me,” protested Obi-Wan.

“You got that right! No one would ever want to take poor little Oafy-Wan as their apprentice!”

The three boys glowered at each other.

A mild-mannered voice interrupted their staring contest.

“Am I interrupting something?” The three boys looked up to see the clan master Docent Vant watching them. The Twi’lek Master’s expression was deceitfully placid. All the initiates knew that durasteel lay behind the calm face.

“Nothing, master.” Obi-Wan gave his most winning smile. “Garen and I were just about to leave to the mess hall with everyone else.” Obi-Wan quickly bowed and ran off with his friend to the hall. After grabbing something to eat, they sat down at one of the tables.

“I just don’t understand,” grumbled Garen. “Why does Bruck dislike you so much? It’s not like you’ve done anything to him.”
    Obi-Wan shrugged. Bruck had never liked him. Recently, though, Bruck had become more confrontational.

“I don’t know either,” sighed Obi-Wan. He wished Bruck would just stop. Obi-Wan had enough worries already.

“Hi Bruck! Hi Obi-Wan!” Bant, their Mon Calamari friend, joined them. “How did sparring practice go?”

“Terrible, since you weren't there,” said Obi-Wan. He gave her a small grin, but his voice sounded rather flat.

“What happened?” she asked.

“Nothing much. So, how was it with Master Tahl?” Obi-Wan deflected the question.

Bant’s eyes shone. She began to talk about her experience with Master Tahl, describing everything in great detail.

Obi-Wan smiled, but inwardly, he worried. It was clear that Master Tahl planned to take Bant as her apprentice. Bant was two years younger than him, and she practically had a master. Dread twisted his stomach. What if no one decided to take him as an apprentice? Would he really have to tend to sick crops in the Agricorps?

Obi-Wan glanced at Garen, who was half-listening to Bant chatter on. Garen was a few months younger than him, so he still had time. Hopefully, Gant would also find a master soon. That way, he wouldn’t have to worry like Obi-Wan did.
    Bant seemed to realize that she had lost the attention of both the boys. She huffed good-naturedly.

“So, what happened during sparring practice? Don’t try to hide anything. I can tell when you’re lying!”

Garen snorted in disbelief. “I doubt that. But I’m sure you’ll never guess what you missed!”

Bant’s eyes shone with curiousity. “So tell me. What happened?”

Garen leaned in closer. “Master Dooku and Master Yoda came to watch us!”

Bant gasped. “No way! You’re joking, right?” Garen shook his head, smirking at her reaction. She looked at Obi-Wan for reassurance. “Did Masters Dooku and Yoda really come?”

Obi-Wan nodded. Bant studied their faces. Her expressive eyes widened with astonishment.

“You aren’t lying,” she said with wonder. “It really happened!”

“Of course it did,” said Garen, pretending to be offended. “Why didn’t you believe me?”

“I can understand Master Yoda coming. He visits all the clans every once in a while. And Master Yoda really likes Obi-Wan,” mused Bant. Obi-Wan tried to disagree, but he was promptly ignored. Bant persisted in speaking. “But why did Master Dooku visit?”

“Maybe he’s looking for a Padawan,” offered Garen.

“But who?” interjected Obi-Wan. “Most the older kids were chosen after the tournament. Do you think Master Dooku wants to take on a younger child?”

“I don’t know. It’s possible,” Garen replied.

“He could have simply been accompanying Master Yoda. That’s probably all there is to it,” said Obi-Wan confidently.

The other two Initiates exchanged looks, unconvinced, but their conversation soon turned to other matters.
    AN: The Day Must Come is a story of three acts. Each act has three scenes, and an undetermined number of chapters. The first act, Midnight, focuses on Obi-Wan's apprenticeship to Dooku. Anakin will not feature in the first act, but he will feature heavily in the second and third. All comments and criticism are welcome.

2. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Very interesting start! So curious how an apprenticeship with Dooku would go... Great job! Loved seeing Obi younger. Tag when you post, or message? :)

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Hello. :) This is very good. Saw a few typos but nothing to fret over. I do typos often as well (Writing is my passion). You handle everyone well but I find it curious that it seems Yoda is doing exactly what Obi-Wan and Dooku are, fretting over the future and a former student. Kinda fits that Dooku got whacked by the gimmer stick. Yet, I hope he realises for himself that Obi's meant to be his student. :)

4. UsernameChangedByRequest

Jan 29, 2014
    serendipityaey
    Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! :D Updated now.

Cushing's Admirer
    Thank you! I try my best to find typos, but I guess they slip past everyone. I'll do better this time! You have a good point about Yoda. Like master, like student. No one is immune from attachment. That is definitely something that will be explored.

5. UsernameChangedByRequest

Jan 29, 2014
    The Day Must Follow

Act I: Midnight, Scene 1
    Chapter Two

Early next morning, Master Dooku tried to meditate. He knew that his former master would not have approved of the usage of “try,” but Yan Dooku could sincerely not think of another word to describe his situation. For some reason, the Force seemed clouded and unclear.

Every time he attempted to reach a deeper level of meditation, the Force slipped out of his reach. Dooku sighed. Meditation had never been his favorite, but he had always acknowledged its necessity.

It was clear that the Force didn’t want him to meditate. It was insisting on . . . something. Master Dooku massaged his forehead. The Living Force could be awfully demanding at times. The Jedi Master threw on his cloak and left his room, oddly restless. The council, despite his objections, had given him three weeks of leave and had taken him off the active duty list. He ruthlessly squashed the annoyance that flared at the thought. Arrogance was unbecoming of a Jedi.

Dooku wandered the halls, trusting the Force to lead him to where he was meant to go. He hid a smile. Aimlessly drifting with the Living Force was Qui-Gon’s job, not his. The thought of his former apprentice made him subdue a pang of concern. He knew it was rather unhealthy to suppress negative emotion instead of releasing it to the Force, but he very well couldn’t do that if the Force wasn’t allowing him to meditate.

He halted in front of the Academy sparring grounds. So this was where the Force wanted him to be. Wonderful. He scanned the room and was unsurprised to see Initiate Kenobi inside as well. Dooku disliked it, but the Force could not be helped. He entered the training room and elegantly bowed, and his entrance caused everyone to freeze, including the two masters. The Clan-Master recovered the fastest and returned the bow with a graceful one of her own.

“Master Dooku,” greeted the Twi’lek. “I am Master Docent Vant, Clan-Master of the Dragon Clan.”

Dooku nodded in acknowledgement. “Master Vant, do I have your permission to observe the sparring matches?”

“Of course.” Dooku regarded the other master, Cin Drallig. Master Drallig was Qui-Gon’s age, if he remembered correctly. He had sparred against the younger man before, and Cin Drallig was very skilled with the lightsaber. He was even more skilled at teaching young ones how to use it.

“Do I have your permission as well, Master Drallig?”

“Certainly, Master Dooku.” Cin Drallig looked at the elder master with poorly disguised curiosity. Dooku ignored him and stood by one of the walls, watching as the Initiates resumed their sparring. He felt the two masters eyes on him as they tried to determine the cause of his interest. He hid a flicker of amusement. They could try, but they would not be able to read Master Yan Dooku. Arrogance, he reminded himself again. Dooku focused on watching the younglings spar, making sure to never watch one group longer than the others.

Initiate Kenobi and the blonde child were sparring again, it seemed. This time, Kenobi was having more difficulty than before. The larger child was relentless in his attacks, and Kenobi was clearly being pushed back.

Out of the corner of his eye, Dooku watched as Initiate Kenobi barely managed to block his attacks. As the opponent prepared what appeared to be the finishing blow, Kenobi desperately lashed out, catching him unawares. The practice saber struck the blonde human’s chest, and the force of the blow knocked him to the floor. At least
    Kenobi had impressive survival instincts.

He wasn’t nearly as skilled as Qui-Gon or . . . she had been at that age. Then again, both of them had been training with him for two years by the time they were Kenobi’s age. Dooku banished the painful thoughts.

The practice spars were over, and the initiates began to mill about, preparing to leave. The other two masters walked to Master Dooku, trying to behave nonchalantly, but failing rather miserably, in his opinion.

“Master Dooku, what are your thoughts on their sparring?” inquired Master Vant.

“All are very talented,” said Dooku noncommittally.

“Do you plan on taking an apprentice?” said Cin Drallig. If Dooku was a lesser man, he would have rolled his eyes. At least Master Vant had attempted to be subtle about her interest.

“Not at the moment.”
    The two masters nodded, not believing him.

“If you will excuse me.” Dooku bowed and left the Academy. He was to drink tea with an old friend, and he did not want to be late. Or be around grubby initiates and their nosy masters any longer.

An hour later, Master Dooku was drinking incredibly fine tea.

“The tea is excellent, Master Sifo-Dyas.”

The other master gave a soft laugh. “Must I remind you to call me Thanasis every time we meet? We aren’t in front of the Council right now. You are permitted to be informal.”

“Perhaps.” Dooku allowed a smile to appear on his face. The two sat in silence for a few moments, enjoying the fragrant tea.

“I hear you plan to take a Padawan learner,” commented Thanasis Sifo-Dyas. Yan raised an eyebrow.

“Where did you hear that?” It had hardly been an hour since he had visited the Academy. Surely rumors could not spread that fast. He grimaced. Jedi were incurable gossips.

“Here and there,” said Thanasis vaguely. He sipped his tea. “I think it would be good for you. You haven’t—“

“Been the same since Galidraan?” Dooku interrupted sardonically.

Thanasis Sifo-Dyas observed his older friend calmly.

“Your words, not mine.”

Dooku stared at his tea. The wounds from that battle, though years old, were still fresh.

“I do think that a Padawan would do you good,” said Thanasis softly. Dooku finally raised his gaze.

“I am far too old to take on a student,” said Yan. Master Sifo-Dyas raised an eyebrow. Both knew that it was an incredibly weak argument.

“I think Master Yoda would disagree,” said Thanasis wryly. “And you are hardly sixty.”

“And how about you?” Dooku asked, going on the offensive. “Why do you not take on a learner?”

Thanasis peered into his cup. “I might, in eleven years or so.”

“That is rather specific.”

“Just a feeling,” Thanasis said insouciantly. Dooku sighed. Master Sifo-Dyas was as entrenched in the Unifying Force as Qui-Gon was in the Living. The older master placed his empty cup down and stood up to leave.

“It was good to see you again, Thanasis,” said Yan Dooku.

“I feel the same,” said Thanasis Sifo-Dyas. He clasped his friends arm, and Dooku left, thoughts swirling in his mind.

Obi-Wan was placing the training lightsaber away when he heard a familiar voice.

“Hey, Oafy-Wan!”
    Obi-Wan gritted his teeth and tried to fight the growing annoyance. He did not want to deal with this now.

“What is it, Bruck?” said Obi-Wan slowly as he turned to face the aggressor.

“You did that on purpose, didn’t you?” growled Bruck as he approached the other boy. “You
    made me look bad in front of Master Dooku!”

“Don’t worry, Bruck,” snapped Obi-Wan. “You don’t need me to make you look bad.”

“Why you—”

“Boys?” said Master Vant. “Is there a problem?”

“No,” the two said in unison.

“Good.” The master turned her attention to a sniffling Initiate who had been hurt by a training saber. Once her attention was sufficiently diverted, Bruck addressed Obi-Wan again.

“You and me, this night, in the sparring grounds. I challenge you to a duel,” Bruck hissed to Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan stared at Bruck. Unauthorized and unsupervised spars were against the rules. Everyone knew that.

“Why?” he whispered back. “Even if you beat me, it’s not like anyone will know. It’s not going to help your chances with Master Dooku.”

“Are you a coward? Is the little youngling scared? Looks like baby Oafy-Wan needs to hide behind the Clan-Master because he can't do anything by himself!” taunted Bruck.

“Fine!” growled Obi-Wan, flushing. He immediately regretted it when Bruck gave a triumphant smile.

“I’ll see you then.”
    Obi-Wan stared after his fellow initiate. He had a bad feeling about this.

“Obi-Wan, are you coming?” Garen said.

“Yes, I am.” Obi-Wan followed Garen, his unease growing.

“Don’t let Bruck bother you. He’s just worried that he doesn’t have a master.’

“I know. But I don’t know why he insists on picking on me!” said Obi-Wan, frowning. “And he wonders why no one wants to take him as a learner.”

Garen snickered, then sobered, remembering something unpleasant. “Are you ready for the Advanced Mathematics exam we have next week?”

“Not really,” admitted Obi-Wan. Math had never been his strong point.

“If only Reeft were here,” said Garen sadly. “He’d help us study.” They grew silent as they thought of their Dressellian friend. He had been apprenticed to Master Binn Ibes a month ago, and they sorely missed his presence.

Maybe I should go to the AgriCorps now, thought Obi-Wan darkly. At least then I wouldn't have to take the Advanced Mathematics Exam.
    Exams wouldn’t make much of a difference if no one picked him as a Padawan.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    You're handling is credible and I like your style. I am glad so far Dooku has a friend. I just hope Bruck doesn't mess up Obi's chances by his antics. Obi knew better than to cave and yet he has. This likely will not go well.

7. Delight

Delight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Good start, Daone Mec! Looking forward to where Dooku will lead Obi-wan

8. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Loved the Jedi gossips part :p It's interesting seeing Dooku's thougts and reluctance and seeing Obi develop (and deal with Bruck being horrible) Very nice writing, it's crisp, good job!

9. Kynstar2

Kynstar2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2015
    Oh awesome job so far! Totally enjoying this take on our favorite characters![face_dancing] Well done! Can't wait for more! Loved how Yoda smacked Dooku's shins and also how the Force took matters into Its own hands to drag him about! LOL