main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Day the Earth Stood Still (Starring Keanu Reeves)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by RX_Sith, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I was trying to avoid one of my 10-40 minute rants and stick with the simple version. If you really want the long one, fine, but don't say you weren't warned.
    For slightly more specific:
    Borne Identity: well, since the original was a TV 1-week miniseries, the new version updated the technology a bit and certainly sped up the pace. and hey, Matt Damon isn't playing a child or a jerk for once. Aside from that, like the newer Bond movies, the tech update doesn't quite jive with the flavor of the original story. Worse, it gave budget to the sequel, with its vomit-enducing motion-sickness camera work that both fails to show the action and irritates the audience by giving them headaches if they try to follow it. (far to recent to be "a classic")
    Narnia: wow, british kids involved in magical events... and it's been done before. Not horrible, but the remake is hardly "a classic".
    The Fly: really, the remake and the original have only the basic premise in common. The original has fun, Vincent Price campy value that fits nicely into the era, while the remake goes to a more modern horror-action of the 1980s. I think of them as really being two completely separate movies. (classic? well, it is over 20 years old now, so I guess...)
    Chicago: a musical about everything that is wrong with the US justice system and trial by press. Never really liked it (seen several versions). (again, new movie is far too new to be "classic")
    Hamlet: well, since Shakespeare died over 500 years ago, HIS version is definately a classic. On the other hand, there are several books that go into great detail analysing everything Lawrence Olivier did wrong with his version (from basic principle of "a man who cannot make up his mind" to set and costume design), and Mel Gibson was just horrid. Only thing that didn't work for me about Brannah's version was the soundtrack, which, while enjoyable separate from the movie, doesn't blend well with the movie. (only Olivier's version is old enough to be "classic")
    Lord of the Rings: OK, the oldest movie is only about 6 years old, Waaaaaaayyy too new to be "classic". I'll stop there, because for all of the technological wizardry, they just aren't that good. Sorry, but they aren't
    The Thing & scarface: never saw either one, so can't comment
    Hammer Horror films: what british actors did when they were desperate for work. OK, some of those movies were entertaining.
    Wizard of Oz: hated that movie. tried the book, and it was even worse.

And this is the sort version.

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I think it's safe to say at this point that you hate movies, and should never be subjected to watching one ever again.

3. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    No, but I'm not nice & luvey-dovey to over-rated or over-hyped flicks.

4. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Yeah I'm not too sure about this but I do like the cast. Not so much Reeves but I'm a big fan of Jon Hamm and Kyle Chandler(currently starring in the best show nobody watches Friday Night Lights)

5. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    you know... I want to see this movie, But I know it can't live up to the same standards the orignal did.

6. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    They've been showing trailers now on TV for this almost daily. I like the part where Keanu says, "Your planet", like he's saying it's definitely not.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that was kinda bad.

Movie might have been halfway decent if they had cut out all of the military and Kathy Bates scenes- they're just your typical stupid 50's B-Movie military thats gotta shoot things.

Klaateanu was very effective in it, though. And GORT was very neat and intimidating in a Cylon-Galactus sort of way.

Some of the technobabbleexposition like when they're talking about the three DNA sets- all the babble they explain they seem to have figured out pretty quickly at a stretch.

Other than that, it could have been good, but was dissapointing.

On the bright side, had the new Wolverine and Terminator trailers, plus Star Trek and an xmas-themed Spirit mini-trailer, whioch is a pretty great trailer line-up, so on the whole I broke even for the night.

8. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    So let me see if I can sum this up: Except for the robot, the movie sucked, but the trailers were good?
    Kinda like all the people who went to see Enemy of the State because it was showing the (then) new trailer for The Phantom Menace?

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The robot and Keanu were good, and the trailers were good, yes. ;)

10. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    You know.... It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I just didn't care for the GORT Bugs or whatever you wanna call them. Bjut over all, as a fan of the orignal, not bad.

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    You mean Keanu can play an emotionless, wooden alien who doesn't understand earth cultures but feels superior to everyone around him? Wow, Men-in-Black must be right about him. ;)

12. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    The kid was unbearable. Which was odd, since I thought he was great in Pursuit of Happyness.

13. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Got around to seeing this at the cinema tonight. As my expectations were low, I was glad it came off better than expected.

14. cs0kalom

cs0kalom Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2008
    Oh God no!! But you know what? With all of the remakes these days, it's bound to happen sooner or later!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.