main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The DC Animated Universe Thread (The Timmverse & Beyond)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Sn4tcH, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    No Eisenburg. Interesting.

As long as Conroy reprises his role as Bats and Lumbly reprises his role as J'onn, I'm happy. They can get rid of Newbern (that would actually be good), Lamaar, Rosenbaum, and Canals, as long as they keep around those two.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The new DCU animated films have none of the previous cast members involved, since they have nothing to do with these films. These are separate from what we've seen before. I brought it up here, since it was discussed in here previously.

3. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    It's a shame they aren't using Kevin Conroy (the same surname as me) because he is simple brilliant and Rosenbaum is great as the Flash but all goods things must come to an end I guess.

4. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Kevin Conroy will always be Batman's voice to me, but Rosenbaum is in his early thirties. he could still do Flash if they want to do a Flash movie or even a TV series. He has plenty of rogues. :)

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The beginning of the new DCU Animated films. As mentioned before "Superman/Doomsday", "Teen Titans: The Judas Contract" and "Justice League: New Frontier" are set to hit. Bruce Timm is involved, but these are not connected to his previous works. The following is from Newsarama.

SUPERMAN DOOMSDAY ORIGINAL ANIMATED FILM ON DVD 9/18/07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Press Release

?Movie is The First Ever Animated Superman Project to Be Rated PG-13?

SAN FRANCISCO, CA, March 3, 2007 ? Warner Home Video, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation are set to release an all-new original movie Superman Doomsday on September 18, 2007.

Utilizing the vast history and tradition of DC Comic?s classic comic book stories along with a more provocative and action-packed story line for avid comic fans as well as kids and their parents, Superman Doomsday features the voices of Adam Baldwin (?Independence Day?) as Superman, Anne Heche (?Men in Trees?) as Lois Lane and James Marsters (?Buffy the Vampire Slayer?) as Lex Luthor, and will be available for $19.98. Order due date is August 14, 2007.

Produced by Bruce Timm (Justice League Unlimited, Batman: The Animated Series) and written by Duane Capizzi (The Batman, The Batman vs. Dracula), Superman Doomsday is inspired by the best-selling graphic novel of all time, DC Comics? The Death of Superman. When the intergalactic serial killer Doomsday is unearthed, Superman meets the creature head on in the battle to end all battles. Going punch for punch, Superman finally ends the threat of Doomsday as he throws one last punch and collapses forever ? making the ultimate sacrifice to save Metropolis and all those he once loved.

Superman Doomsday will be available exclusively on DVD with collectable packaging as well as over 70 minutes of incredible DVD extras including:

? ?The Clash of the Juggernauts? ? A retrospective look at the craze which caught the world by storm. What happens when millions of fans are suddenly subjected to

-more-

the death of their favorite character? Total mayhem! Going on record about the ?Death of Superman? will be Paul Levitz and other DC staff as well as comic book artists throughout the industry. News clippings, reports and first-hand archival testimony from fans will be pieced together in a retrospective way. The featurette will also include a closer look at the dark Superman appearing in ?The Return of Superman? graphic novel. ? The Artists Playground?From Art to Sound Design in Superman Doomsday ? Producer Bruce Timm and his creative team of writers, animators and designers will take us on an exciting journey of character evolution. This documentary will focus on early character concept drawings, final character art, various stages of modeling, storyboards, animatics, layering of colors, voice talent and ultimately final animation. ? Justice League: The New Frontier - Sneak peak of the next DC Universe Original Movie ? Defeat Doomsday: Battle Challenge - Battle as Superman to defeat Doomsday in this fast-action, dexterity challenge which lets the users relive the epic battle with unique gameplay inter-cut with footage from the movie. ? Widescreen (1.78:1) ? 5.1 Dolby Digital

?We are thrilled to be releasing the first of the DC Universe movies that feature extraordinary talent including Adam Baldwin and Anne Heche, as well as the lauded producer/writer team of Bruce Timm and Duane Capizzi,? said Dorinda Marticorena, WHV Vice President, Kids and Sports Marketing. ?With an authentic animation look and feel and a more emotional as well as action-packed storyline, Superman Doomsday will certainly appeal to adult comic book fans and older kids.?

Superman Doomsday Marketing Support Superman Doomsday will be supported by a massive media campaign delivering millions of impressions. Marketing support will also include strong promotion support as well as explosive online promotion stunts. Finally, the DVD release of Superman Doomsday will be supported by a network television premiere.

6. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I am very excited.

7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    That's awesome.

The only bad thing that I noticed was that Kevin Conroy isn't doing Batman, but that's a necessary change, I suppose. I just hope he's not to old if and when they decide to bring him back.

I have to say, the movie I'm most excited for is the Green Lantern project. Can't wait.

8. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Sounds like great stuff.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    this sounds like it'll be really good. i'm excited :)

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's been a while, so I'll update.

First, from the New York Times.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/movies/NewFrontier/NewFrontier.jpg]

From the article:

One of the biggest challenges was paring down the story from just under 400 pages into a 70-minute film. The comic book version has a sprawling cast and multiple subplots, from a nearly 40-page sequence that depicts the fate of the Losers, a squad of soldiers from DC?s war comics, to following Hal Jordan?s path from reluctant fighter pilot in Korea to his discovery of the power ring that will turn him into Green Lantern. In between, Wonder Woman and Superman debate their own involvement in Southeast Asia; the Martian Manhunter arrives on Earth; and John Henry rises in Tennessee to combat the Ku Klux Klan.

But the process was not without its bumps. In the first three drafts, neither Wonder Woman nor Lois Lane, both significant in the comic, was in the film. ?You have to pick your battles,? Mr. Cooke said. ?I had to give up a lot of things that would make me weep, not because they need to be in the film but because I wanted to see them animated. But Lois and Wonder Woman had to be in.?

The 70 minute film is due for release in February of 2008, and will be previewed this coming week at the San Diego Comic-Con.

Next, screenshots of the upcoming release of "Superman: Doomsday".

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/Uppercut.jpg]

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/doomsday_hand.jpg]

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/kyrpto_gun.jpg]

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/lex_lois.jpg]

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/near-kiss.jpg]

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/roses.jpg]

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/superman_skyline.jpg]

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/Jimmy_2.jpg]

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/Knee.jpg]

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/Superman_Fill.jpg]

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    That first look at an animated Doomsday was chilling. I could do without the hinted possible Lex/Lois subplot but I cannot wait for this film!

*sighs* I wish this could be released in theaters as well as the Routh Superman films.

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    February 2008? I thought it was being released in August or September of this year.

13. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Looks like some good stuff.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    "New Frontier" is in February. "Superman: Doomsday" is in September.

Lex did try to get with Lois before and after Clark's death and resurrection. This is no different from those stories.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

But in the novelization that occured after the original comic run of the Doomsday arc, Lex in his cloned body is sleeping with Supergirl.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In "Man Of Steel" #2 and #4, Lex was trying to make Lois wife number seven. In "World Of Metropolis" #2, Lex first took an interest in Lois. In Action Comics #676, Lex makes a play for Lois which she brushes off. In Superman: The Man Of Steel #27, Lex tries one more time. Just because he was with Supergirl/Matrix doesn't mean that he loved her. The concept of love to Lex is very twisted. Not since he was 14, has he ever truly loved another human being. He would not love again until he had his own child, Lena, from his marriage to the Contessa Erica Alexandra del Protenza, whom he also didn't love. He married her so that he could regain control of Lexcorp. The birth of Lena was an unexpected by-product of his grand plan. Once Lena was born, he had Erica locked up for a time. Later, long after she escaped, Lex had a missile launched at her last known location.

All these stories take place before and after Clark's death. He was just too preoccupied with Superman's death and the fact he was not involved, to make a move on Lois just yet.

17. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I'm afraid I don't know much about the Superman animated series. [face_blush] Didn't Doomsday appear at some point in that show, or am I imagining things?

18. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    In JLU they fought inside a volcano. Pretty awesome actually. The episode was entitled The Doomsday Sanction.

19. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I bet that's what I was thinking of. Doomsday was also in the Justice Lords episode(s?), albeit briefly.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Doomsday appeared in the "Justice League" episode "A Better World" and later in the JLU episode "The Doomsday Sanction". In the DCAU, he was an imperfect clone of Superman. In the regular DCU, his origin was different.

[image=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/darth-sinister/Avatars/Avatars-2/Avatars-3/doomsday11.jpg]

He had been created by a group of Kryptonian scientists and an alien named Bertron. He was to be the ultimate form of life. A clone baby which had been sent out into a harsh enviroment, where it would sufforcate and die. Or was killed by native creatures. The leftover DNA was used to clone a new baby and it was sent out. This went on for 30 some years, before the child began to evolve into Doomsday. When that happened, it's base survival instinct took over. He had become capable of surviving in any climate and was nearly impossible to destroy forever.

[image=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/darth-sinister/Avatars/Avatars-2/doomsday11.jpg]

Eventually he had destroyed his creators before escaping aboard a ship and travelling the cosmos. Doomsday was eventually killed on the planet Caltron by the Radiant, an artificial energy being. Doomsday was then bound up in ceremonial funeral garb and his remains sent offworld, where they eventually crash landed on Earth a long time back.

[image=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/darth-sinister/Avatars/Avatars-2/Avatars-3/doomsday01.jpg]

The garb was eventually destroyed by Superman and members of the JLA while fighting Doomsday in Ohio and into Pennsyvania (sp).

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    From Newsarama. Non spoilers.

SDCC '07: SUPERMAN DOOMSDAY REVIEW

by Tom Bondurant

Superman: Doomsday consists essentially of two bunker-busting fight scenes separated by a pretty good Lois Lane story. It's not really a stripped-down retelling of the 1992-93 Superman titles' death/funeral/return arcs. Instead, it diverts significantly from that source material in order to make its story accessible. The result is simple but not dumbed-down. In fact, Duane Capizzi's script offers surprises with regard to Superman's relationships with both Lois and Luthor. As for the fighting, while the "PG-13" approach of this direct-to-video line allows for harder hits and more blood, the movie has to work against the audience's expectations about the outcomes of those fights, and presents spectacle and carnage to illustrate the high stakes. Overall, the movie is fairly effective through its first two acts, but its third (the "return") falters. However, it rights itself by focusing on Lois again at the end. A viewer who rents or buys Superman: Doomsday looking for the punching and combat absent from Superman Returns will probably be satisfied, a parent who gets the video for a younger child may find it a little too mature, and that hypothetical member of the general public who just likes Superman may be kind of confused.

SPOILERS FOLLOW

One of the movie's most significant departures from the original comics is its rollback of the Superman/Lois/Clark triangle. They're not married, and Lois doesn't know the secret -- but she's still dating Superman. What's more, they're apparently close enough that she appears in the Fortress of Solitude wearing only a towel, and later a red bathrobe (to match the Man of Steel's). Still, she only calls him "Superman," although he reminds her about "Kal-El." While this smacks of classic Silver Age Superdickery (TM), it sets up a couple of plot points, including Lois' traditional investigation into Superman's alter ego. Lois also claims that Supes' familiar justifications for a secret identity really mask his fear of commitment.

Doomsday (never named as such, only called a "doomsday machine" in dialogue) comes between them, of course. His introductory scenes are staged quite well, suggesting a creature that exists purely to destroy. Doomsday is brutal and deadly, killing ordinary humans on screen, or as close thereto as a PG-13 sensibility will allow. He also kills a couple of animals, one in a sequence inspired by the comics. At times this threatens to go over the top (at one point Superman coughs up blood), but on the whole director Brandon Vietti succeeds at making Doomsday a credible threat. Because of its length, the movie also has to use Doomsday to establish Superman's power levels, and this it does efficiently as well. If you've ever talked back to the screen as a moving-picture Superman seems to forget he has, say, heat vision, you won't have that problem here.

Superman is played by Adam Baldwin, who does right by the role, on the level with Tim Daly and George Newbern. Baldwin doesn't have to do much heavy lifting beyond grunting during the fight scenes, and he only has a couple of scenes as Clark. It's not a bad performance, and it doesn't reinvent the Super-wheel, but it doesn't really need to. Lois is the star of much of the show.

After Superman's death, Lois realizes that Clark (ostensibly in Afghanistan as part of his foreign-correspondent duties) isn't coming back either, and this prompts her to share her grief with Martha Kent (Pa Kent apparently having died already). As Lois, Anne Heche gets stuck with a clumsy bit of exposition right off the bat, but she soon gets very comfortable in the role. Her scenes with Swoosie Kurtz (who plays Ma Kent), directed by Lauren Montgomery, are particularly good. Lois is very proactive throughout the movie, flying helicopters into combat zones and infiltrating LexCorp; and again, she keeps the plot moving through the second act.

As you'd expect, Lex Luthor, played by James Marsters, is the piece's main

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    From Newsarama.

WONDER WOMAN AND BATMAN NEXT UP FOR ANIMATED DVD TREATMENT?

With Superman Doomsday due out on DVD in September, and Justice League: The New Frontier coming early next year (and video from it already making the rounds), the Teen Titans direct to DVD animated movie is the only movie of the original three announced to get a release date.

And then, what?s next?

Wonder Woman and Batman, apparently.

What look to be two pages from an internal DC/Warner Bros. Animation marketing document have made their way online, revealing that the next two direct to DVD animated films will star Wonder Woman and Batman. From the respective descriptions, the Wonder Woman animated film maps out closely to an animated re-telling of George Perez?s re-creation of the Amazon?s origin from the restart of the series in 1987; while the Batman film looks to be in ?anime style? and set in the same universe as the recent Batman Begins.

The descriptions of the two projects read:

WONDER WOMAN

On the mystical island of Themyscria, a proud and fierce warrior race of Amazons have raised a daughter of untold beauty, grace and strength ? Princess Diana. When and army fighter pilot, Steve Trevor crash-lands on the island, the rebellious and headstrong Diana defies Amazonian law by accompanying Trevor back to civilization. Meanwhile, Ares (the god of War) has escaped his imprisonment at the hands of the Amazonians and has decided to exact his revenge using the mystical ?Hand of Rage,? an ancient artifact with the power to raise armies from the dead and infuse them with a thirst for blood. Ares intends to start a world war that will not only last for centuries ? but will wipe out every lving being on the planet, starting with the Amazons! It is up to Princess Diana to save her people and the world ? by using her gifts and becoming the ultimate Wonder Woman!

Target: Males 18+, women 18+, and girls 9-17.

Proposed rating: PG-13

DVD street date: Q4 2008/Q1 2009

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/movies/DCanimated/WWanimatedMovie.jpg]

BATMAN ANIME

Targeted Audience:
    Dual: Core fans and tween boys
    Rating: PG-13 (anticipated)

Release:
    2-4 weeks in advance of The Dark Knight film release.

Overview:

Set in the period between BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT, this brand new adventure follows BATMAN as he unravels a mystery over six original stories done in the style of Japanese Anime. Each of the six original stories has been written by a highly respected screenwriter or comic book creator. The talent includes Academy Award nominee Josh Olsen (The History of Violence), screenwriter of the Blade films and Batman Begins David Goyer, and famed comic book writer Brian Azzarello, among others.

The Batman Anime DVD is viewed as a perfect companion piece to BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT. The original stories introduce a number of classic characters from the DC Comics BATMAN universe as well as following up on characters and storylines that were introduced in BATMAN BEGINS.

When asked about the two projects by Newsarama, Warner Bros. Animation declined to comment.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/movies/DCanimated/BatmanAnimeDVD.jpg]

23. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Can't wait for the Batman Anime. Maybe the Wonder Woman cartoon will help the movie get off the ground.

24. Mandalore_X

Mandalore_X Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005

Batman: The Animated Series (1992-1995) and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm are just *tear* magical.

25. LukeRules_PadmeRocks

LukeRules_PadmeRocks Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
    (NOTE: Since the following review was originally written for Superman message boards, parts of the review presume a working knowledge of said comic storyline. If one chooses to buy or rent the "Superman/Doomsday" DVD, one will in fact find a wonderful bonus featurette documentary that reviews contents of the comic storyarc [as well as the outside media circus surrounding it] for those not familiar with the Superman comics.)

Just finished watching the Superman/Doomsday DVD. I think the real star of the DVD was the documentary retrospective on historic comic book arc, instead of the film. As a comic reader, it was awesome to finally get to see the faces of so many names I've seen over the years. The documentary was VERY well done. I wish DC Comic-related DVDs had more of these comic book based documentaries on their DVDs the way the Marvel ones do.

At any rate, I enjoyed seeing all the writers and artists (and seeing someone for once speaking upon Superman other than Mike Carlin :D), especially Dan Jurgens (arguably the definitive Superman artist of the 90's) and Louise Simonson who spoke with such genuine conviction and emotion. Also, as fan of the 1990s Superman series Lois & Clark, there were two good tidbits regarding Lois & Clark: A.) how L&C first angered the comic writers because they were forced to scrap all their plans regarding the marriage in the comics and B.) their delight to have a cameo in a Season One episode of L&C.

Okay, on with the show, SPOILERS AHEAD...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

As for the film, as a story in itself, I thought it was pretty good, although there are one or two things done with Superman and Lois that will definitely upset various viewers, Superman fans or not. The first which would have upset me in the past, is the fact that the film clearly implies that Lois and Supes are sleeping together, yet of course are not married or even engaged. I can see many a parent (including a number of adults) being upset over this as they were over Supes & Lois having a child out of wedlock in "Superman Returns." What bothered me though was the other facet of their relationship, that Superman was courting Lois as Superman and not as Clark -- a setup which seems to fly in the face of the history of the mythos itself, when it's the Man of Steel who desires for Lois to love him first as Clark before he opens the Superman side of himself to her.

That issue aside, as a film, I loved it. I can't remember being blown away by another animated DC film with the exception of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (and I never could stand futuristic Batman of "Batman Beyond"). The fight scenes were just amazing. The look of Doomsday, stellar -- a hundred times better than the "Justice League" cartoon adaptation of the character. Adam Baldwin did a good job as Clark/Supes. And the rest of the voice cast was decent, though the look of Lex was hard to get used to.

In regards to Lois specifically, having Anne Heche (yes, that Anne Heche) as Lois threw me for a spin at first. Not hearing Dana Delany as the animated Lois was a shock for a moment, but it wasn't long before I fell in love with Heche's performance and possibly (this might be heresy to say) may prefer her Lois to Delany's (at least as concerned the context of this particular Superman outting). Heche's Lois is tough like Delany's but feels more emotionally tender, a vibe I never really felt from Delany's Lois. Even the worry I first had of the film's visual rendering of Lois resembling Smallville's Lana Lang too much eventually dissipated once I got caught up in the film.

One thing I wish the film did though (other than actually include the four faux Supermen from the comics storyline, which it did not, and have Clark court Lois as Clark) was extend the length of the film, maybe even by just an extra five or ten minutes, just to get more of a sense of how Lois and Martha Kent were connecting, get inside the head of Jimmy for his rationale of leaving the Daily Planet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.