main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The DC Animated Universe Thread (The Timmverse & Beyond)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Sn4tcH, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There is an error in that review. In the 1970's, Superman did date Lois Lane over a number of issues. With Lois ultimately questioning Superman if he's really afraid someone will find out about them and his secret identity, or if he's really afraid of commitment. They never slept together except for one story where she slept with Clark Kent when he was powerless, for a short time. And though it was never stated officially in the comics, when they were engaged, there were a couple of hints that Clark stayed the night over at least.

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I didn't like it at all. Animation was weird, they seemed to go out of their way to take out every single possible reference to the original story, and the plot they came up with instead was uninspired.

However the documentary about the comic story was really cool. Brought back a lot of fond memories.

Justice League: The New Frontier trailers/doc was cool too.

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    "New Frontier" will be out in February 2008. A few days before, Wondercon will have a first look at the film.

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/jltnf-batman.jpg]

Batman.

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/jltnf-flash.jpg]

Barry Allen Flash and Captain Cold.

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/jltnf-jordan.jpg]

Hal Jordan.

[image=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/animated-movies/jltnf-supww.jpg]

Superman and Wonder Woman.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/movies/DCanimated/NewFrontier/MartianManhunter_01.jpg]

J'onn J'onzz in his Martian form.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/movies/DCanimated/NewFrontier/hal_ring.jpg]

Hal Jordan and his ring.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/movies/DCanimated/NewFrontier/haljordan_fired_upon.jpg]

Hal being fired upon.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/movies/DCanimated/NewFrontier/lois_superman.jpg]

Superman and Lois Lane.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/movies/DCanimated/NewFrontier/ice_02.jpg]

Captain Cold and his associates.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I caught "The New Frontier" at this year's WonderCon and thought it was okay. Better than either of the Ultimate Avengers dvd. However, the main villain of this film was fairly shallow, which made the second half of the film pretty lame and somewhat disjointed.

6. Ethanos

Ethanos Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2008
    So, Justice League finished two years ago, a month ago there was a last issue of comic Justice League. For now, there are no developments of DC Animated Universe. Are there going to be some stories set in this universe at all ?

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Probably not for a good long while. When JLU finished, Bruce Timm was asked to handle the DC Direct films which he agreed to do, provided that they could do something different than the DCAU. So they opted to use actual comic book stories, rather than just creating a whole new universe while occassionally adapting actual issues. "Gotham Knight" was the first film that went into consideration, before "Superman: Doomsday". But it took a while to hammer everything out, which is why it was not announced until after "Superman: Doomsday" came out. Next up is "Wonder Woman" starring Keri Russel as Diana, Nathan Fillion as Steve Trevor, Rosario Dawson as Artemis, Alfred Molina as Ares and Virgina Madsen as Queen Hippolyta.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/af/WWPoster.jpg]

The story is an adaptation of "Gods And Mortals" from George Perez's 1987 relaunch.

Bruce Timm has said, though, that he does miss working on television. But even if he returns to television, there is nothing that says it might be the DCAU.

8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Apparently this and Gotham Knight put The Judas Contract movie on hold. Still, looking forward to Wonder Woman and Teen Titans when they get to it. New Frontier was excellent, Gotham Knight was very nice and Doomsday was good too.

9. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    I liked Gotham Knight and Doomsday wasn't bad - but New Frontier - I couldn't stand the animation. I can't wait for the new Wonder Woman movie, though! I loved her in JL TV series. She and Batman were - are - such a great couple. Thanks to that, I'm a die-hard Batman/Diana shipper, despite the many Superman/Diana shippers out there.

- Serena

10. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000
    Of the three, I'd probably have to put New Frontier up top. It was a darker side of the whole DC universe. Plus, I feel they kinda copped out on the Doomsday. I know they couldn't do EVERYTHING from the comic story, but a LITTLE closer would have been nice....

New Frontier.....Batman and the Flash came out as the top characters of that flick to me, and I'd love to see a series of some sort (web, Adult Swim, whatever) with that version of Batman...

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I thought New Frontier was GL's movie and it was great. I loved that out of the 3.

In this order:
    New Frontier
    Gotham Knight
    Doomsday

12. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Haven't seen Gotham Knight yet, but I didn't enjoy Doomsday that much. New Frontier is one of the finest things the DCAU has ever seen.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's that way in the comic as well. While the overall story is about the birth of the JLA and the revival of the super-heroes in the Silver Age, by and large the story was about Green Lantern. Flash and the Martian Manhunter co-stars. Everyone else was a supporting player since their stories had been told and told again.

14. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I saw Doomsday the other night on CN. I actually liked it for the most part. I didn't care for some of the animation choices and Anne Heche left something to be desired, i.e., Dana Delaney, but overall I thought it was a decent attempt at the adaptation.

15. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    Doomsday was pretty good, but Superman's animation annoyed me - his face in particular.

16. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I agree that Clark/Superman didn't look right but overall it was a decent flick.

17. Ethanos

Ethanos Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2008
    Bruce Timm said this at ComicCon relating to DCAU:

* Timm said a direct-to-DVD Justice League Unlimited "could happen."

* Timm said the odds are 50/50 that Worlds Collide, the script Dwayne McDuffie wrote as a bridge between Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, will be made.

* Timm said he hopes he can use his old DC Animated Universe style again. "I hope to do something in my own personal style again -- soon," Timm said.

So DCAU is not dead for sure :)

18. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    I recently saw the trailer for the new Wonder Woman movie. It looks fantastic!! Can't wait for it to come out. The animation looks wonderful! They made her look actually beautiful - unlike some times when they make her too big and scary looking. I think they - the animators and comic authors - forget that she's supposed to be stunning as well as a kick-butt fighter.

19. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I really liked the Wonder Woman in New Frontier. They really understood that she needs to be able to stand side to side with Batman and Superman, in height and everything.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, I've been hearing rumors that the upcoming Green Lantern: TAS will be set in the Timmverse. Anyone heard any confirmation of that?

21. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Hal Jordan doesn't exist in the DCAU (he only appeared in one episode in which reality kept being altered by a time traveller) so that's a no.

Anyway are we allowed to talk about other DC animation projects such as Batman: Brave and the Bold and Young Justice or is it just Bruce Timm related DC works?

22. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Not so, if you recall the Superman Animated Series episode where Kyle Rainer became a Green Lantern you should notice that during Kyle's fight with Sinestro he was thrown into a "Col. Hal Jordan's" airplane. So Hal Jordan does exist in the DCAU, but whether he is a Green Lantern remains to be seen.

23. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Gotham Knights: annoying. In spite of the more anime influences, I found the art styles overall to be less than what it could&should have been.
    Doomsday: Horrible voice decisions. How many times do we have to have a funeral for Superman? Heck, he "dies" more often than Daniel Jackson! The early JL story was way, way better.
    New Frontiers: weak. Celebrity/star-power voices aren't nearly as good as the JL/JLU. Not because they aren't familiar, but they are not as good and don't fit the characters. The Cold-war flavor was over done. The Silver-age costumes next to the modern normal people looked poorly composed.
    First Flight: They got it right! This is the first (and only) good movie they put out since JLU ended.
    WonderWoman: talk about a 1-note story. How about you slam that message into our face a little harder? my nose is still a protruberance.
    Public Enemies: meh. Superman didn't look right. Story was weak. Who done it? the guy we never heard of before, of course. Not even close to a surprize. President Luthor? Please. With the number of felonies he'd committed? Even with a full presidential pardon, there's no way he'd be able to gain enough support to win. Besides, "Do you know how much power I'd have to give up to be President? That's right, I spent a billion dollars just to tick you off!"

I have hopes for a new GL cartoon, and still have some for the new live movie.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    yeah, I don't see any reason why we'd need to divide DC Animated discussion into two threads, especially since the Timmverse content is currently in stasis, for the most part. I've rephrased the thread title to reflect this.

25. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Ahh excellent, I quite enjoyed the pilot of Young Justice and the show has the potential to be better than JL/JLU.
    I admit I didn't know that bit of trivia. :) So I guess that means there's a chance that it's part of the Timmverse, still I don't think we'll be seeing Superman any time soon, the GL will be too busy fighting red lanterns in outer space. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.