main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Very true, it felt like they put Team B on it for sure though. Still, it's better than the drivel Marvel puts out. I watched the newish Iron Man animated film (can't remember the name and it's not worth remembering) around the time IM3 came out and that was absolutely terrible.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Sssh. That's not at all relevant. You haven't seen JLA-War and it shows.
    EDIT: Rise of Technovore, Volderon?

3. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    That was it. God that was terrible. I felt like they should have paid me to watch it.

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I watched it, they replaced him with SHAZAM.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    FTFY

Jedi Merkurian and Volderon like this.
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK so if you watched it, Slowpoke, and I can at least now confirm you didn't read the JLA New 52 arc... what happens in the post-credits sequence?

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Ender - that Punisher/Black Widow thing had terrible voice acting and story, but the animation wasn't too bad. Also, I'm still bitter over Justice League: War and the absolute hack job it was. Hopefully Batman and Son will be better (even with an Irish guy doing his best Solid Snake impression).

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yes why was War so terrible? It was such a waste of the DCAU's time.

More Owlman please.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Indeed, one could go so far as to ask: War - what is it good for? I suspect it's absolutely nothing.

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's not part of DCAU.

DCAU is over after JLU.

11. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Nailed it.

12. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Say it again.

And yeah maybe I didn't mean DCAU. Whatever the acronym is for DC's animated movie-films that aren't in the JLA universe.

Ramza likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

No, the animation - for anime - isn't too bad. But on balance, this and Iron Man Technovore are so astonishingly bad that basically Marvel have ceded animated films to DC.

14. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Technovore was terrible. I didn't even pay to see it and I felt bad that my mom had burned a dollar to rent it.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I still think the recent good ones are the flashpoint paradox and the WW origin.

As for JLW, it's quite similar to the comic's plot. Blockbuster style.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

You are not answering my question, Slowpoke.

Answer it.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

He was replaced by Hawkgirl because the showrunners wanted another female on the team and someone that they didn't have to come up with stories set in the ocean.

We see
    Aquaman learning of what's going on in the surface and vowing to do something about. It was the second for the Aquaman storyline.

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    You know, Aquaman isn't all that bad of a character. He has great strength. He is resistant to at least machine gun fire. Can talk to sea life (either through language or telepathy..) Has a octopus sidekick. He's kind of the sea version of Captain Marvel. The original Aquaman was probably the most effective, probably because 1) he didn't have that annoying plot device of having to go back into the water every hour (that didn't make sense anyway). When Aquaman could walk on land and was simply adapted to pressures/undersea he was a decent character. And for a while, he lived in a wrecked ship that was his secret base. You can't beat that. But Atlantis is ok as well. My favorite was Craig Hamilton's version of Aquaman when he had the really cool multi-blue "ocean camo" suit.

But typically, no one knew how to use him. And things like that stupid hook hand and what-not where tried. Due to so many boots and reboots and re-re-boots in continuity, I don't even know what Aquaman is like anymore. I haven't actually read anything with Aquaman for a long while, but I gather through seeing covers, etc... he's kind of a swashbuckling/Pirate/Indiana Jones of the sea type? I do like how the post 52 Aquaman recognizes that he is viewed as a goofy, second rate hero, even if that's not exactly true.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The Peter David run was fairly good from all accounts and did make an effort to make him more credible as a hero. But its the sillier aspects that hang as an albatross like talking to fish. And unless you read the JLA run by Morrison, he seemed pretty limited on land in other media.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Part of Aquaman's problem is that everyone in the Superfriends was gimped and useless due to broadcast regulations, but he never had any other major media appearances to compensate. So he's really only taken seriously by people who are the right kind of crazy to start reading Aquaman comics of their own volition - myself included.

21. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    I kind of like the talking to fish aspect. It's what sets him apart from others. Each version brings their own positives and negatives. Remember, the original Aquaman talked to sea creatures in their own language, so it was limited to "voice" range. So, for example, he talked to Tuna in their own language. This seems silly, but it made him rather like if Jacques Cousteau developed his undersea knowledge in a comic universe. It was later (maybe it was the Superfriends) when the ability morphed in being based on telepathy with hundreds of miles of range. But even this isn't that bad. It was explained in DCU that his telepathic ability only resonated with a specific brain center of fish and sea creatures.

I'd still say the story device that made him the greatest putz was the "having to go in water every hour" weakness. He was always portrayed as a human/(fill in the blank) hybrid, so it's not like he relied on gills. His bullet resistance was always explained as a side effect of the "toughness" of being able to survive the pressures of the deep, so I don't see why he couldn't just have a dual air/water breathing system. Some weaknesses add depth to characters. Other just hamstring them. Imagine if Iceman would die simply by being out in the summer? Why? Just because he is based on ice? It makes sense that fire effects iceman more readily, but the extreme messes up story lines. This was AM's problem.

I think the Tower of Babel storyline best portrayed AM's dependence when he became afraid of water, but it would have been just as effective if he became completely aquaphobic instead of dying within the hour because of a lack of water.

Any discussion of Aquaman brings a comparison with Namor/Sub Mariner. And despite being just as much as a one dimensional character, Namor was always more impressive, and never suffered from the second rate aspect AM had to endure.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's because Namor yells, "IMPERIOUS REX!" and can fly.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

...with ridiculous little tiny wings on his ankles all the while looking like Mr. Spock. And still, Aquaman gets no respect. :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Pretty much. That and he doesn't talk to fish. But the large part is that he was in one cartoon that not many people remember and wasn't pop culture.

25. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    To be fair though, Namor's flight was a mutant result of his human/Atlantian heritage, which I suppose does stack the deck in his favor.....He can swim super fast...he's strong....he's bullet resistant...he can charge the air like an electric eel....he can breath both in and out of water....he's super sexy... oh yeah, and since he's a mutant, he can fly as well, even though that has nothing to do with water/sea/Atlantis....Namor's greatest ability is that he seems to be the Marty Stu of whoever is writing him, although Wolverine has probably taken this mantle away from the Sub Mariner.

Aquaman's weakness is that he suffers from the exact opposite phenomenon. AM is written to be the annoying Dennis the Menace neighbor kid that all of DC's writers must be secretly getting back at in comic form:

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]