main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Sadly, there may very well be a generation of fans, who, having not seen a live action Wonder Woman or read the comics, who probably believe it's the other way around.

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Yeah, I can't get too riled over the first publicity photo for a movie that's almost two years away. And I like the photo.

If the actual footage and photos that come out next year look bad... well, that's another thing entirely. Though even that doesn't mean the movie itself will stink.

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I do like the WW costume. Nice integration of the bronze version of the eagle and '"ww." And I really like the strap/scabbard/lasso combo. However, I do agree with dp that WB could have cleaned up the details, like actually springing for a decent sword, especially since this was an authorized publicity shot, and not an incomplete leaked photo. It's like the equivalent of posting a resume on-line, but then having a typo in the first line of listing your own qualifications.

It's just kind of of an overall "one step forward, one step backward" yo-yo effect in dealing with anything that WB releases that is superhero focused. Just as soon as you get excited, then the studio also sends out a annoying ear-flick. I guess the net-result is still being excited, but you just want to yell "quit flicking my ear, you jerks...."

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wait, what? I actually liked the costume! I haven't said anything bad about it! I have issues with everything else they did at Comic-Con! lol

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Shut up dp, you hate monger

6. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    My bad, I guess it was R1.5 who actually made a comment on the sword, but in my head, I remembered your "propmaster" comment as more sarcastic as it was intended. Or maybe I'm just channeling all the "butt chin" talk? :p

But still, even pointing out that maybe the studio didn't have time to get anything more than a plastic looking stand-in sword before shooting an official publicity photo still proved the "resume misspelling" comparison. It is nitpicky, but if you're going to spend 150 million dollars on a movie, at least take the time to have the character holding a decent prop. I mean, seriously. WB distributed both 300 and its sequel. They don't have a old sword from either laying around somewhere?

Again, get excited, but get an ear-flick.

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Costume needs shoulder straps. In the comics, too.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yeah, I see what you're saying in that middle-section but it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing, right? Remember the first X-Men teaser? With the clearly unfinished Cyclops optic blast?

People went nuts. In some cases, it's better to just put in something that's almost clearly a stand-in rather than half-ass it somewhere else. I'm fairly certain someone would have noticed "Hey, they're reusing the swords from 300 -- damn that Snyder being lazy!" or "Hey, that's Frodo's sword from Lord of the Rings!"

I'd much rather wait for what the final design the propmasters come up with and make a final determination at that point. I know, I know, that's way too rational for me. Sorry Ender Sai !

9. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Well, of course. Don't get me wrong. I agree with you. My point wasn't that the sword itself is the end all, be all. It's the way WB seems to handle their comic book properties in general, for all the reasons that have already been laid out. The sword is a minor point, but if you take the fact that over and over and over and repeatedly (did I mention over and over?) WB has said how important Wonder Woman is to get right, and they want to forget the failed series, and do her justice but the character is so difficult, etc... But then release a picture that has so much riding on it, but can't even get something like a sword right....For all that they've hyped on WW, you'd think they would at least get all the ducks in a row, not just 90% of them. That's a completely different concept that simply saying "hey, here's some footage we think you all would be excited about over a character like Cyclops, even though it's not finished...."

WB says "oh, we're not doing TDKR," but then releases images that are just about a direct panel for panel recreation of TDKR. :confused: Even originally, when WB seemed to say that they were not doing a shared universe like that other company, and then...oh maybe 2 weeks later.... shares the universe with seemingly every character in existence. :confused: I'm waiting for the announcement that Gorilla Grodd is going to be in Bats v Supes, because you know, monkeys are cool right now, and why not pack another character in the movie?

This has already been examined, but I do think this is the direct result of still using the diffused studio system, where you have a Batman producer, and a Superman producer, and a WW producer, etc...and they all have to come together committee style. You can almost picture the process. One studio spokesperson says "we're not doing TDKR..." But then a producer says "but I like TDKR," and so the next day the same spokesperson shows up and says "OK, everyone we need to recreate TDKR panel by panel for Mr B...." That's why with all the ways they could have botched WW, I'll take getting 90% right. They're still ahead of the curve for once.

With WB, you almost have to be excited to a point, but then scale it back. Or rather, you go into a WB movie with diminished expectations and get pleasantly surprised. Instead of the other way around.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's hard to get worked up over set-pics like that until we know for sure it's not a flashback.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    I think that article overstates the extent of what its title indicates. The group photo is nice though.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

But once we confirm they're not a flashback, can I count on your outrage? :)

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    dammit, no! I want the anger! I want the pages and pages of pointless argument!

(I'm caught up on the Marvel thread :( )

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It depends? That wasn't that much destruction, comparatively, and I'd expect Batman to be a sociopath so long as he doesn't kill people.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Saintheart and Diggy like this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Was able to see Assault on Arkham today - it is very different from any other animated Batman film I've seen. However, it's good - really good. Even though his role is not as large as usual, having Conroy back makes a big difference.

Won't spoil the plot, but interested to see what you all think when you see it.

Ender Sai likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Halfway through it now. Harley. Lawton. Wut.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    heels -- do they try and roll it into the new DCU by having Batman be a psychopath and kill people indiscriminately? :p

heels1785 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ender - did you get to see the documentary DC did on their supervillains last year? The great Christopher Lee narrates.

If anyone has not seen it, DC fan or not, I would totally recommend that as well.

22. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I watched both Assault on Arkham and Son of Batman recently. I liked AOA because of Conroy and Baker does a really nice job as the Joker, channeling Mark Hamill.

Son of Batman wasn't the train wreck I thought it was gonna be as some said it was absolute trash. It wasn't like the comics at all but I knew that going in so I put aside all pre-conceptions and I enjoyed it for what it was.

It's good to know that even when DC Animation rolls out turds it's still better than all of that Marvel animated garbage.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, Marvel's problem is its animated is basically anime, which is awful.

24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Yeah, Marvel has it down with live-action movies but DC has it down with animated movies. Both their TV cartoons stink right now though, all the good ones were cancelled.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Brave and the Bold was so, so good. I guess I'm glad Beware the Batman lasted so long to make up for that.

... OH WAIT.

Penguinator and TrandoJedi like this.