main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That shouldn't be a problem. Always easier when binging a show rather than waiting a week only to go.."that's it?".

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

[​IMG]

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The good thing about Arrow's "filler" episodes is that the metastory and island flashbacks are always in the background. So even slow or apparent meaningless episodes are bound to offer a treat or two.

GenAntilles likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Is that because you hate gays, or homoerotic scenes make you uncomfortably aroused?

I'm just trying to get a sense behind the "gay = bad" sentiment you expressed. :)

5. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Its not that gay = bad, its that a middle aged batman hanging out with a teenage boy in tights is pretty awkward. A middle aged man fighting crime with a 30 year old woman in tights isn't as bad.

6. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    That could be seen just as bad....I don't understand.

7. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    It has a lot less pederastic implications.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, so gays are pedophiles, is that it?

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If you're Fredric Wertham, it does.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You know she's probably going to be a teenager and thus it'll be just as creepy, right? And that, by roughly the same logic, having an older male Robin would be just as not creepy?

11. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Try harder
    I never said having an older male Robin wouldn't be just as not creepy. Captain America and Bucky had the same thing going on and the movies changed that, and there's nothing gay about Steve and Bucky(not that there would be anything wrong with that, they're consenting adults). But keeping it exactly the same way as the comics would be a problem.

And Jena Malone is way too old to be playing a teenager.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Six, you need to stop digging yourself in a hole and just ask to be allowed to back out of the comment entirely.

13. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    So this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Did you even watch The Winter Soldier? That was totally a Cap/Bucky love story.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    They can do a Suicide Squad movie but can't do a stand alone intro Wonder Woman movie?

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Bucky was changed in the films to make him a soldier, since it didn't really make since in 616 that a fifteen year old would be allowed to serve willingly. Ultimate Cap did the same thing. That's different from taking twelve year old Dick Grayson or thirteen year old Carrie Kelly out as Robin. Not to mention, how is adoption perverse? Over the last decade, DC has made a point of stating that the Robins were adopted.

18. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, too bad that does nothing to lessen the whole child endangerment thing...

19. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Eh, they were going to likely go out and fight crime on their own anyway. Bruce either could have them locked up forever in prison, let them get themselves killed, or train them.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  21. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    So help me if they shelve a Wonder Woman movie...

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hm? The Wonder Woman film will be excellent, I think. So much opportunity to make her the unique cornerstone of the universe, I think Gadot will deliver.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I believe they were announced at the same time.

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No but your imposed dichotomy made it painfully obvious that you weren't even considering that as a possible option, so now you're backpedaling. And, I might add, not addressing the other facet of the problem via this dodge:
    which suggests that you're not as concerned with the possibility of the implications for a female teenaged Robin as you are with a male teenaged Robin (The former, incidentally, has already happened twice in comics, so it's not like it's purely hypothetical). Which, to me at least, reads primarily as your main concern being to read pederasty into the Batman and Robin dynamic either because you're instinctively driven to think "LULZ GAY BATMAN" due to years of cultural conditioning or that you legitimately think the natural conclusion to draw about a man who isn't as firmly entrenched and established in the heterosexual camp as possible adopting a boy is that he feels an inappropriate sexual attraction towards the boy.

In either case, you may want to reevaluate your thinking.

P.S. If you feel the need to use the qualifier "Not that there's anything wrong with that" at any point in a conversation you've screwed up.

dp4m and heels1785 like this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I find the Wonder Twins way more inappropriate, myself...