main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That or something better came up.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Or schedules wouldn;t work out. He's filming now, and has a filming coming out in May. This begins shooting in April. (The article did say that, I swear, now it doesn't appear to)

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Why didn't DC let Mera rather than Aquaman take the place in JL? So JL would have more female member, and her ability to control water makes her more useful.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    You're only saying that so Liv Tyler can play the role right?

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, I just think Aquaman sucks.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Aquaman was included in the League in an effort to bolster his status and include in him live action films, without him coming across as a joke.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

Perhaps

[​IMG]

Perhaps not.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I mostly think Mera is more useful on the land since she could control water. Also there is only one female among the JL Founders.

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Problem is, despite whatever they may think of him, most folks know Aquaman. And many of them, unless they happen to remember those old cartoons, don't knew who the **** this Mera girl you're so obsessed over is and would wonder why would DC choose her over Aquaman in a JL movie. You might as well start wishing they add Hawkgirl and John Stewart too...though I wouldn't mind having that GL as part of the roster.

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Most folks think Aquaman sucks due to Big Bang, Family Guy, Robot Chicken and all the other meme. Most of the cartoons don't even feature him as one of the JL's founder.

It's not hard to make a character well known, John Stewart wasn't really famous before the JL cartoon, same with Hawkgirl.

I don't really like Mera but I think she would be less of a joke and we should have more female members in the JL leadership.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Ah, I was wondering what would break first - his spirit, or his body.

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I honestly don't care what kind of opinion ****** shows such as Family Guy, BBT or whatever can state on other pieces of pop culture since they are truly garbage. People shouldn't be bleepin' sheep, ffs.

Diggy likes this.
  13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    He was too big a guy

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    For you.

heels1785 likes this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't think it's just their fault Other than some real old cartoon, most of DC's cartoon also exclude him from JL's leadership. In most of the series he doesn't even show up much. In Batman the Brave and the Bold he is featured as a joke.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Admirable, but mistaken.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    This is completely inaccurate, actually; the only cartoon series where Aquaman is not presented as a founding member of the League is the DCAU, which - despite being justifiably popular in fan circles - hasn't actually disseminated all that well to pop culture at large. Super Friends in its various incarnations was in syndication for ****ing ever and is arguably the non-movie version of the characters (Excluding the trinity, who have all had reasonably popular live action TV shows) that most people are familiar with.

Joke or not, at this point he's sufficiently well-known that people will expect him.

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Not just DCAU
    The Crisis of Two Earth Aquaman played only a minor role
    Justice League: Doom No Aquaman
    Justice League: War Aquaman was replaced by Shazam

He played a quite important role in Flashpoint, but it was AU version, which featured him as a tyrant. Batman the Brave and Bold featured him as a joke.

Yeah he is well-known thanks to Super Friends all the meme, but most of the people takes him as a joke.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm not entirely sure you speak for "most of the people". Just a thought.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's cute how you think those movies outnumber the sheer mass of terrible Super Friends iterations.

21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, what I'm saying is: DC didn't like to use him, at least for a while(Before the new Atlantis movie). This also discredited him a little bit.

Oh, even in the Flashpoint Paradox, WW defeated him, I remember that was not what happened in the comic.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The fact that that's completely besides my point was just a side note, then?

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I was saying many series/animated movies either didn't feature him or only give him minor role and exclude him from JL founders, or made him a joke. That is quite accurate.

Plus, it doesn't take much effort to make a character well known. I don't like DCAU because the Batgod garbage. But let the leaders have more than one female member was a right idea.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    To be fair, though people might be unsurprised if Aquaman is on the roster, I doubt anyone would care if he was absent from it. That's essentially Slowpoke's point, and it's more or less correct. He's also right that another female character of some sort would be well-received, though I have no idea who or what he's talking about in particular. I'm just assuming it's Kate Beckinsale, though.

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    JLU had a rather excellent Aquaman storyline. He also featured pretty heavily on Smallville for a bit, where he was okay.

I don't understand the hate.