main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hi dp. Does it bother you that Mandarin is not wearing a green bed sheet and massive multi-colored ring pops in this picture? Because I dress like this cat does:

[​IMG]

Can you spare us until the next picture, please?

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh right. Understood.

Yeah, of course. Look at how Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk, Steve Jobs et al dress. Much less formal than the power suit attire expected of them. Lex as a suited commercial powerhouse is, relatively speaking, a new iteration of the character and not intrinsic to his look. This aligns him more to the modern context and I applaud that.

dp4m likes this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

This is an Ender-related thing, not a DC-related thing. I'm totally fine with how he looks (as noted). Not everything is about you, heels. Some of it is about Barney Stins--- er, Ender Sai who is a noted suit-devotee on these here forums and I'm gauging him on changing Lex's looks (even an internet-era billionaire may wear suits).

EDIT: And apparently Ender understood that and responded appropriately. :p

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Sorry, my natural reaction is to try to prove you wrong. You and Ender carry on and enjoy yourselves.

Darth_Invidious and dp4m like this.
  5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you compare me to an American? You make awful suits, dp, cut all shapeless and wrong. I should report that flame.

dp4m likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Crap, that reminds me... I need to post in the other thread about some other US suitmaker... need to find the commercial first...

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

I loved how the Mandarin was a sleazy business exec with sweet dragon tats, bruh.

heels1785 likes this.
  8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    IMO, Gene Hackman wasted his talent in that flick. I guess they wanted more than their fair share of camp from the villains and as a kid that didn't know any better back then, I didn't care. Now, it's a groan inducing spectacle. Spacey's Luthor was just slightly better if only for bringing a more sinister edge to the character...even if that version was also obsessed with real estate scams.

9. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Justice League and Young Justice Luthor are my preferred screen versions, personally.

Another day, another rumour from Latino Review, this time saying that Aquaman will also have a cameo in Suicide Squad.

10. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He is not the real Mandarin.

11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Only because of a retcon following complaints from people who arbitrarily disliked updating the character from a generic stereotype. For all intents and purposes, Killian was the real Mandarin until the short came out. And anyways, that's a discussion for another thread.

12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Except that writers can and have done Mandarin without him being a "cultural stereotype." And they DIDN'T have to resort to turning him into a "generic white businessman/scientist in a suit." You know, like the main villains of the LAST TWO FILMS!! Killian was just a rehash of Stane and Hammer.

As for Eiesenberg's Lex, he looks like a guy who could be talking to you really calmly one minute, then suddenly just horrible kill/maim you, and then go back to acting like nothing has happened. I've had a idea in my head involving a scene where Lex is eating a nice dinner while some poor schmuck you has run afoul of him is being brutally beaten/tortured in the background. And Lex cares/is phased so little that he doesn't even bother to stop eating/look up.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Time to go back to DC. My little dig at dp wasn't meant to inspire a battle, go over to the Marvel threat if you want to continue.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, heels posting that picture is like me pulling his hair before we make out. Peoples need to chill!

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Boundaries.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The safeword is... banana.

17. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Killian's dudebro tats have nothing on AQUAMAN'S MIGHTY SCALES ETCHED INTO HIS FLESH anyways.

Master_Lok likes this.
  18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Salkinds wanted big name stars to be in the films, so that audiences wouldn't see this...

[​IMG]

When watching this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Good progression, I think, from Flash. I think Cyborg is likely down the road next. I'd love if they could land Michael B. Jordan from Friday Night Lights and Fruitvale Station, but with him taking on Johnny Storm in F4, he's going to be way too big and expensive.

I don't think they'll ever go for Superman, Lantern, or WW, but keeping their focus on Flash and the "B-Level" Justice Leaguers is great.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yeah, I doubt we'll see Cyborg on TV -- he's already in the next BvS movie -- but I guess it's not totally unreasonable. Would certainly be interesting to see...

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Flash will be in Justice League. And I think the general assumption is that Cyborg will be a glorified cameo in BvS. Shouldn't stop a successful TV franchise.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I just want a Nightwing series. If they won't do a Batman one.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Aren't you getting Teen Titans? Hasn't that been greenlit?

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Which isn't a Nightwing series?