main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Superman's battle with Zod in Metropolis as oppose to the desert wasn't the core problem with that scene. It was the execution of it, and I don't mean where Superman snaps Zod's neck.

If you put the fight between Zod and Superman in a vacuum and as the fight goes on, the sense they're inflecting any pain or damage to each other dwindles. Which was very contradictory between the fight between Faora and Superman and the "grounded in reality" tone of the movie. It was done so to show Zod cannot be hurt or knocked out so Superman has no choice but to kill him. In the fight with Faora, Superman is slow to get up and stumbles when he does. There's fear on his face. We see that Superman can be hurt. There's gravitas to the fight. This farm boy is out classed in fighting skills by a soldier genetically designed do as such. This fight didn't need the verbal exposition to make that apparent. The Zod battle needed the verbal exposition because it couldn't get through the action like the Faora battle did.

Moreover, I like the battle with Faora because it shows Superman taking time out of the fight to actually rescue someone.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I am.

Which is ironic considering a good portion of the Superman era that he loves had him being that way.

Because it's all a **** measuring contest.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    How the hell is any of that even disagreement, much less a "debate"?

Penguinator likes this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I missed the last few pages! Let's see...

Blackest Night flashbacks...

Joker slapping Harley...

Man of Slaughter apologists...

[​IMG]

dp4m, Juliet316 , Ramza and 1 other person like this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think we should be honest, though - very rarely does the quality of this thread matriculate above the "awful" threshold for more than a page at a time.

Posting in here is essentially a mindless habit or an opportunity to interact with my sworn rival/regular 3-legged race partner, dp4m.

dp4m likes this.
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That "damaged" tattoo is so annoying, and realy detracts. I don't even like the font. If he is truly damaged, he wouldn't go for something so elegant.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    He'd use a more rebellious font - an Arrus, an Avant Garde Bk BT, a Trebuchet!

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    WEBDINGS

DAMAGED

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    He's crazy, not insane.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The Joker's tattoos are somewhat of a red flag for me that Leto's iteration of the character will be just an updated version of Caesar Romero's take on the character, where's there some overacting, big gesturing and body movements and plenty of laughing out loud moments. My notion felt like it was confirmed with the captured footage of the filming of a scene between Harley and Joker, where the rolls up in a bright color sports car that's well lit inside and the license plate says, "HAHAHA." Leto's Joker will not be subtle.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Is The Joker supposed to be subtle?

12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    No, but neither does he paint signs on his face. He's about as subtle as an insane man with green hair, a white face, and red lips can be.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You should read my earlier posts.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I would also have accepted "hetero life mate"...

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm not sure how hetero it is when you love sucking each other's ****s.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Post of the year.

Diggy likes this.
  17. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I don't really have any issues with the Zod battle in Metropolis... but the fight with Faora was definitely the best in the movie.

Then again Faora was just an awesome character. Really would love to see her reappear from the Phantom Zone again.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I honestly think "Suicide Squad" is basically going to be Ayer's "Sabotage" but instead of Arnold and a bunch of goons trying to kill each other, it's Deadshot and a bunch of superpowered goons trying to kill each other. Which I'm okay with, I dug "Sabotage", thought it was badass.

I'm down with Leto's Joker. It's really hard to actually do a bad Joker performance, I can't even think of one. I think every version of the character with any actor is really fun to watch and go completely buggy. There is no single way to play The Joker. Because he's The Joker.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I haven't seen Sabotage, but now that you're mentioned it, I'm going to give a try. Over the weekend I watched Ayer's Fury and thought there was a major goons in that film. It definitely had motley crew of characters.

Yeah, it may be difficult to do a bad performance of the Joker, but I just not sure how it will fit in with this film. Meaning, with the Joker stick out like a sore thumb?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Sabotage was a masterpiece.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The Flash Writer Gives Update On Movie

Flash may not appear in next's year Batman v. Superman.

Lobo Director Gives Update On Movie

VadersLaMent likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Joker kinda does stick out like a sore thumb in anything, really. Take away the tats, which, honestly, I don't mind because it goes with Ayer's street goon-vibe from Training Day / Sabotage / End of Watch but tosses it onto the joker. Also I get the feeling he's gonna get 'em lazered off in a subsequent flick anyway. This Joker does seem to be taking a lot of inspiration, like Batman V Superman, from Dark Knight Returns and that Joker was kind of a stone psycho, he doesn't even yuk it up until he's wayyyyy deep into some murderin'. But when he does find it funny, people tend to die horribly.

aside, if people haven't seen the Dark Knight Returns adaptation, drop everything, watch now. Freakin' Michael Emmerson as the DKR Joker, holy cats. Also Conan O'Brien playing the talk show host too!

Ayer also wrote Training Day. There is a hellova lot of great monologues in Training Day from the baddie, I'm hoping for more of the same here.

23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I mean, could just be me, but Faora has the worst grasp of evolution imaginable. Abstract concepts aren't a product of evolution, yo.

And seriously, clearly the Joker's tattoos should be in Comic Sans. You guys are a bunch of rank amateurs. I mean, come on, wingdings? WTF, guys?

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Lobo, one of the best characters of all time, and Stan lee's favorite. Stick to Simon Bisley, that's all they have to do.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Again: crazy, not insane.