main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I more meant go to an opening night midnight showing which would obviously be insanely packed.

THANKS FOR MAKING ME EXPLAIN MY JOKE!!!

:p

Darth_Invidious and Penguinator like this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Don't make me kick you in the head. :p

Following the events "The Wrath Of Gog", "In The Name Of Gog", "Unconventional Warfare", "That Healing Touch", "The OMAC Project", "Sacrifice", "For Tomorrow", "Ruin Revealed", "The Journey", "This Is Your Life" and "Infinite Crisis", Clark had lost his powers and spent a year without them. He had spent so much time being Superman, that Clark had lost sight of who he was as Clark Kent. He had had his powers for so long and had spent so much time with them, that he wasn't used to be normal. So when he lost his powers, he set about repairing his reputation and enjoyed life as Clark Kent. When his powers came back, part of him was glad for it and part of him wasn't. When he didn't recharge, part of him felt relieved at not having to go out and force himself to be Superman. He could just be a normal human. When the powers returned, he did briefly feel regret for their return and wondered what he could have been like if he had gone on without them. Then he decided that in spite of that, that other people have had to deal with worse. So there was a period where he felt a bit burdened by being Superman, not so much because of his inability to help others, but because he spent his life with his powers. Later on in "Superman And The Legion Of Superheroes", "Who Is Clark Kent's Big Brother?" and "Secret Origin", Johns highlighted that Clark as a young boy had wanted to be normal so that he could do what others could do. That he had his powers by his early teens, but couldn't play sports or rough house with others his age. So for him, Clark did feel the burden of being different. Of being Superman.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, that to me is weird, especially considering the Flash has a TV show, and a different actor will be playing the same character in a solo movie and the Justice League films. You can argue that's because Superman and Batman are DC's two biggest characters, but then you have the Atom being used in the TV universe in place of Blue Beetle, because evidently a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold movie is being made. At that point, which characters can appear on TV and on film simultaneously seems utterly random.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Shut up dp4m.

The film will be art.

Marvel sucks.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Flash dips in and out of alternate universes, I think the likelihood of some type of crossover there is possible. Aside from Superman and Batman, the characters that can be on TV, or repeated in TV and movies, seems really random.

8. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't mind the lack of crossover between the films and TV series, and it also doesn't personally pug me that Superman and Batman can't appear in the shows (I don't want them. I love DC, and the shows are good for what they are, but they're just not my cup of tea), but I'd love to know the reasoning behind deciding who can/can't appear in what.

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The reasons vary from production rights, red tape or otherwise expensive agreements drafted by even more expensive lawyers. Often far more formidable or fearsome opponents then any group of costumed ***holes or heroes may face on a weekly basis.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm actually very happy they're not aggressively pursuing a shared universe. This also explains DC's approach to comics and comic events.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Because the bottom line here and with Marvel is that not everyone watches both the films and the television series. They're not really encouraged to do so and given the problems that season one of AOS had due to TWS, it is understandable why WB and DC keep their live action universes separate. The same thing happened with "Star Trek" and more so with "Highlander".

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Um., Highlander crossed over their film/TV series...

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    After the television series ended. Not during the show's run, other than Connor appearing in the first episode. The third film did not feature Watchers and treated the story as a sequel to the first with all the Immortals being dead save for Kane and his men. The fourth film picked up from the show after it ended.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, so they crossed over their movie/TV series -- from the very first episode of the TV series and then in the movies.

Of course, if people take the "There was only the one movie" tack, I'm cool with that!

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    CleverMovies: Booster Gold / Blue Beetle Team-Up Movie In Works

Transcript of the video for the YouTube impaired:

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Connor appearing was like Nick Fury appearing on AOS. Beyond that, though, the third film made no reference at all to the series. As far as the third film was concerned, there was no Duncan MacLeod. This was done so that people who never watched the show, wouldn't be confused by it and feel the need to watch it. Only after it was done, did television characters appear in the films. With "Star Trek", Worf appeared in two films while being on DS9, but his being on DS9 was barely even mentioned and none of the characters from that show appeared in the films. Nor were even mentioned. Janeway didn't appear in the films until after "Voyager" had ended. The Doctor did appear in "First Contact", but that was not the same character that served aboard Voyager.

17. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    As far as I'm concerned this is the news of the day:

http://ap.ign.com/man-of-steel-sequel/92458/news/batman-co-creator-bill-finger-to-finally-receive-s

DC Entertainment and the family of Bill Finger are pleased to announce that they have reached an agreement that recognizes Mr. Finger’s significant contributions to the Batman family of characters. 'Bill Finger was instrumental in developing many of the key creative elements that enrich the Batman universe, and we look forward to building on our acknowledgement of his significant role in DC Comics’ history,' stated Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment.​

'As part of our acknowledgement of those contributions,' Nelson continued, 'we are pleased to confirm today that Bill Finger will be receiving credit in the Warner Bros. television series Gotham beginning later this season, and in the forthcoming motion picture Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.'"​

It's about time! For those who may not know, Finger contributed the horned mask, the somber black-and-gray colors of the suit, and many other key features of the Batman we know and love today.

18. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Blue Beetle/Booster Gold, and Bill Finger finally gets some long-overdue recognition? Nice.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  19. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Finger also co-created Robin, Catwoman and the Joker. From the wiki entry on him (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Finger):

Early the following year, National Comics' success with the seminal superhero Superman in Action Comics prompted editors to scramble for similar heroes.[10] In response, Kane conceived "the Bat-Man". Finger recalled Kane:

...had an idea for a character called 'Batman', and he'd like me to see the drawings. I went over to Kane's, and he had drawn a character who looked very much like Superman with kind of ... reddish tights, I believe, with boots ... no gloves, no gauntlets ... with a small domino mask, swinging on a rope. He had two stiff wings that were sticking out, looking like bat wings. And under it was a big sign ... BATMAN.[9]

Finger offered such suggestions as giving the character a cowl instead of the domino mask, a cape instead of wings, adding gloves, and removing the red sections from the original costume.[7][11] He later said his suggestions were influenced by Lee Falk's popular The Phantom, a syndicated newspaper comic strip character with which Kane was also familiar,[12] and that he devised the name Bruce Wayne for the character's secret identity. As Finger described, "Bruce Wayne's first name came from Robert Bruce, the Scottish patriot. Wayne, being a playboy, was a man of gentry. I searched for a name that would suggest colonialism. I tried Adams, Hancock ... then I thought of Mad Anthony Wayne."[13] Kane decades later in his autobiography described Finger as "a contributing force on Batman right from the beginning... I made Batman a superhero-vigilante when I first created him. Bill turned him into a scientific detective."[14]

Finger biographer Marc Tyler Nobleman described, "Bob [Kane] showed Bat-Man to [editor] Vin [Sullivan] — without Bill. Vin promptly wanted to run Bat-Man, and Bob negotiated a deal — without including Bill."[15]

Finger wrote both the initial script for Batman's debut in Detective Comics #27 (May 1939)[16] and the character's second appearance, while Kane provided art.[7][17] Batman proved a breakout hit, and Finger went on to write many of the early Batman stories, including making major contributions to the Joker character.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  20. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    YES BILL IS GETTING CREDIT! :D

Hopefully it won't take another fifty years for Kane's name to get second billing.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Time to post this one again.

[​IMG]

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That never gets old.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You know, if WB had the brass tacks to pull that I'd actually forgive them for quite a bit.

BigAl6ft6 and dp4m like this.