main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Do you think Martian Manhunter's role is downplayed in JL usually? His mental ability is so effective against most of the villains.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I guess those boys from Boston are just that interchangeable. :p

Darth_Invidious and jabberwalkie like this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Because the government doesn't know how to control or stop someone like Superman. Kryptonite isn't known yet.

Which doesn't work since Zod doesn't give a damn that Clark was raised on a farm. Clark tries to dissuade Zod from destroying Earth, but Zod refused and so it was on like Donkey Kong.

No, it was Matt realizing that he's becoming no better than the criminals he's putting away. That he didn't need to punch the criminal so many times to stop him. Batman has a mantra that he and Robin are not brutalizers. That they don't need to pound on someone to the point of nearly killing them. That they can be stopped with a simple blow, or through intimidation.

There was an evacuation going on. We see the people fleeing from the Daily Planet and other buildings would have done likewise. The injuries and deaths were Zod's fault, not Clark's.

I don't think there would have been too much difference. Batman just puts a face to the story by having someone go after Superman. But I imagine that the congressional arc and the Lex arc were probably early ideas. When WB gave marching orders to add Batman, they just added him into the mix.

J'onn in the JLA isn't really downplayed. Especially not after the writers started focusing on J'onn as a leader, a heart and soul character and playing with all manner of abilities that his Martian heritage affords him.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  4. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I often find myself agreeing with your posts, Prime, but here I have to rebut. Your description of what Snyder says does not match the quote. "I wanted to show violence is real, people get killed" does not mean "I wanted Superman to be contributory to the deaths and destruction". Those are two completely unrelated statements.

Both Zod and Faora state that they will commit genocide against humanity. Even after their plot is foiled, Zod says he's going to destroy Metropolis. Superman is fighting Zod on the ground the general has chosen.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Might I also point out that most of Metropolis WASN'T destroyed. It's a NYC/LA-sized city and maybe a few city blocks got leveled. You can see when Superman is flying around that the vast majority of the city has very little if any damage (the lights are still on in a lot of the buildings for goodness sake). Again, don't make an argument that can be refuted with a 30-second internet search.

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Hence why 99% of the destruction occurs BEFORE Superman even gets there, and Zod does most of the damage once the brawl begins. Oh and his comments about "I'm going to make them suffer Kal-El, these humans that you have adopted. I shall take them all from you one by one." Oh and later on "there's only one way this ends Kal, either you die or I do."

You know, I sometimes wonder if people just don't pay attention, or a deliberately ignoring the evidence so that they can complain some more.

7. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Honestly the US military caused more damage than Superman's whole fight with Zod. Their missiles were raining down all over the city, then they were crashing jets into occupied buildings and bringing them down on fleeing civilians.

In terms of who killed the most people it's Zod/Zod Forces, then US Military, then at the very bottom... Superman. Superman may have 5% of the total casualties. Zod has about 60%, the military has the rest.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I've been saying that for years about the PT.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh god what if George Lucas did the JL movies, and Snyder took on the PT?

10. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
  11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Gotta love dream sequences. This looks all sorts of ridiculous and I love it.

12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

You'd think Batman could at least imagine an Evil Superman costume. Poor imagination Bruce, very poor. I mean just use the all black one from Man of Steel at least.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Video is not working for me, but assuming this is t a trick...

Given his colour palette of choice, maybe primary colours are evil to Bruce.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Where are you all getting the idea that this is a dream sequence?

15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Maybe because Batman's costume in that scene is being marketed as "Nightmare Batman" and the idea of an Evil Overlord Superman with an army of followers kneeling before him contradicts with everything else about him in the movie? I mean put all that together and it seems pretty obvious this is Batman's fear of what Superman COULD be and why he feels he needs to destroy him.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Also it's been speculated as a dream sequence since parts of it showed up in the trailer back in July.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Alright. I haven't followed anything about the film's production, and wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something obvious about the footage itself.

18. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    It doesn't look like a dream sequence to me. Those S-agents are seen in other shots, other locations in the trailers. I'm not getting a "dream" vibe from it at all... though I appear to be in the minority.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Not a dream because its not cloudy or has a heart beat sound behind it?

Those are the tropes, right?

Perhaps not a dream...a vision, or something.

20. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Why can't it actually be happening (within the fictional construct of this thing called film)?

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Because Bats as a Vic in the short form is just weird.

22. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    I understand nothing between "Because" and "is just weird".

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Well given how utterly and totally MOS missed the point of Superman I would not even be surprised if it was a real scene in the movie

Darth_Invidious and Rew like this.
  24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's good to see Bill Finger credited in big letters.

25. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

You mean those other shots in the desert with the same lens filters and Batman in the same get-up totally snapping a Superman SS trooper's neck? :p I think it's either a hallucination, vision, nightmare or dream Bruce has, because it's got a strong post-apocalyptic vibe and I highly doubt they're going to kick off a shared universe by destroying it.

Juliet316 likes this.