main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    How will the "secret identity" work in DCverse? MCU seems to toss it out of importance. Even in the Nolan Trilogy, most of the enemies knew Bruce is Batman.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, there's

[​IMG]

and this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'll email David Goyer and ask.

heels1785 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Only the League of Shadows connected villains knew for a fact he was Bruce Wayne: Ra's Al Ghul, Talia and Bane. The Scarecrow, Joker, Two Face, and the mob didn't. Catwoman (even though she wasn't called that in Dark Knight Rises) wasn't really an enemy of Batman.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Er, it's pretty much a given that the Batman of BvS isn't Batnolan. Therefore, the secret identity thing will not be an issue (?)

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Which pretty much followed the comics at the time the films were being made.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Just finished the newest DCAU film, Batman: Bad Blood. Slow start, strong finish. Last shot of the film is a big surprise that has me very excited for the next release.

Easily an 8/10.

8. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

I thought it was pretty good. Not that familiar with Batwoman, is she supposed to use guns? I thought Red Hood was the only one in the Batfamily who gets a pass on that.
    Also I do feel the villain reveal and the villain itself was a little... off... given the last movie that character was in. I mean I understand how that could happen but it seemed to conflict with how that character was portrayed in the last one, unless I missed something.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I would share that criticism on the villain. Seemed a bit out of place, but given how up and down that bloodline is, I suppose it worked out.

10. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Given how Talia acted in Son of Batman, dying for Batman and Damian and then being brought back with the Pit... I'm not sure I buy this movie saying she never loved either of them and was incapable of it. If they went with 'the Pit mad her more evil' I could possibly but that... but I think you need more than one dip to go THAT evil.

That's apparently how it went in the comic storyline they adapted... but I feel that in the comics you'd have had more time to show that slow transition from 'quasi-ally' to fully evil.
    At least they leaved it open to Talia appearing again. I mean I'm not sure anyone is supposed t buy that was actually a death...

But rest of the movie worked pretty well. Thought Yvonne Strahovski gave a strong performance as Batwoman. Hope Tim, Cassandra, and Stephanie show up in the animated movies eventually, have to confess I'm more a fan of the Batfamily than Batman, feel he works 'better' having to play off his supporting team, but that may just be because I've seen him acting solo so many times it's become predictable.

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    What's up with these new DC animated movies just being so okay with killing off villains? And who is the target audience? It's not friendly enough for kids, not mature enough for teenagers, and too erratic to be for adults. I enjoyed this one, but there's still a serious tone problem. Also Batman's voice continues to be dumb.

12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

I think it's just a film thing, film demands you kill off villains for their to be closure or resolution. Why 90% of superhero movies kill the villains off in one movie.

13. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

90% of superhero movies kill off their villains because their writers are lazy. It's not a film thing, it's a bad writer thing.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I might accept that if 90% of films didn't kill the villain. It's clearly a film issue. If it's bad writing it's not just for superhero films but All film.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, it seems were' even going to get that with Batman in the new movie -- so it'll be nice to see if people defend that. :p

Also, with Suicide Squad we should be getting the other end (and more "realistic" part): some of the "heroes" dying in a super-hero film; I can't imagine them all making it out alive. That makes perfect sense.

16. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

to be fair they would't be heroes, villains have always been expendable and writing a villain dying doing something good is easy storytelling.

I don't see any of the main Justice League dying and staying dead.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, I know -- but we haven't had a really good "people on a mission" story in the movies in some time that wasn't based on JRR Tolkien that I can recall. Especially not one with ostensibly bad people helping the good ones as well. Legends of Tomorrow is actually the closest we've come, and that's TV.

I'm actually excited from that angle.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    If Batman were killing his enemies in "Dawn Of Justice" and "Suicide Squad", then there wouldn't be any of his villains alive in "Suicide Squad". The Joker, Harley Quinn, Deadshot and Killer Croc wouldn't even be locked up at all. I'm thinking that what I said, the scarring of criminals is what's happening. The Joker's missing teeth and he branded another criminal.

19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah Superman said civil liberties were being trampled on, vigilante executions would warrant stronger language than that. Batman is likely torturing and branding criminals rather than killing them.

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    El Diablo and Rick Flag won't make it out of Suicide Squad - at least, that's my prediction.

This is great.

21. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Deadshot and Harley are the only ones in the squad I see having a 100% shot at living to the end. Everyone else... they've got 25% odds. Lot of villains to replace them with in sequels.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I liked the Turkish Airlines tie-ins, and actually the Gotham one made me sort of want to take 'em since they apparently have Turkish coffee in business class... :p

23. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    I'm posting this here on behalf of dp4m because the overall tone of DC has changed and this article nails the change and it bears discussing. Would have talked about it in the BvS thread but that's movie, this is everything.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/02/the-trouble-with-superman/435408/

Specifically: "DC largely abandoned its strengths as a publisher of optimistic, bizarre superheroics and fumbled for an edgier identity."

Sums up my entire disappointment with DC right now and why, outside of CW's tv shows, nothing DC is catching my attention anymore. Thoughts? Comments? Plsdontthrowfruit?

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, I stopped reading the main books when "Flashpoint" came and went. I have read the "Convergence" tie-ins for some of the titles that I used to read and have been reading "Superman: Lois & Clark" since it features the versions of the characters that I grew up on. DC's own material is trying to distinguish itself and unfortunately, it just isn't clicking which is why we're getting another reboot.

As to the viral ads, they're nice, but part of me would have rather had Lex with his own airline as in the Post Crisis comics.

AmySolo likes this.
  25. BB-8

BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 1, 2015

Well, I certainly appreciate you getting all of this together. However, the word “ambassador” means representative, not someone who inspires. Snyder isn’t talking about Superman’s in-universe relationship to the other heroes of DC. He’s talking about what Superman represents to us, the viewing public. He’s saying Superman is the prototypical superhero. That said, there’s still plenty of room for Superman to be an inspiration to the other heroes in MOS.

And there’s nothing here that suggests he put Batman in because of backlash against MOS. That’s just your spin on it.

Yes, and that very film series has Bruce ready to hang up the cowl when he believes Harvey Dent can rid Gotham of Crime “without wearing a mask.” And also has Bruce ultimately retire as Batman, putting all of his money toward philanthropic causes, as his father would have done. Because that’s who he really is- Bruce the Philanthropist. Batman would no longer need to be if the corruption of Gotham went away, and Bruce is fighting for this. If Bruce could solve Gotham’s problems with charitable programs he would. That is the Batman mythos.